racemenu sculpt challenge for any interested

ghowriter

On 2/28/2024 at 8:38 PM, AaronOfMpls said:

Now I'm curious what was going wrong with RaceMenu.  I've had it forever in LE, and haven't had trouble with it in SE really -- aside from the occasional crash after browsing though, like, every hair ApachiiSkyHair adds a couple times.

What was that exact same place?  If it's one of the races or specific body parts, then maybe that's the issue instead.

As soon as Ralof and PC entered Riverwood and Ralof spoke "Gerdur" the game would crash to desktop. I disabled every single mod and it still did it. I thus concluded it had to be SKSE  and since RaceMenu requires SKSE, both were removed and it hasn't happened since. This isn't a request for help. I've learned one thing these past few weeks and that is people don't take kindly to people not using a mod manager and I wont use them.

1 hour ago, ghowriter said:

This isn't a request for help.

Fair enough.  I'll stop helping from this point if you don't want it.

people don't take kindly to people not using a mod manager and I wont use them.

Hey, you do you!  Many of us find a good mod manager makes it easier to keep track of what mod files we've installed.  But you can indeed get along without one -- especially if you keep track yourself of what you're putting in your game.

(As a side note, before I discovered Mod Organizer, I wasn't using a mod manager either.  Though since I had trouble keeping track of which mods added which files, I'd sometimes pack a newly-downloaded mod's loose files into a .bsa before adding it to my game, so I could disable or remove that mod without worrying about its files still doing something.  (.bsa's only get loaded when their accompanying .esm/.esp/.esl file is active.))

===================================

In any case, if other people have similar problems with their game:

As soon as Ralof and PC entered Riverwood and Ralof spoke "Gerdur" the game would crash to desktop. I disabled every single mod and it still did it. I thus concluded it had to be SKSE  and since RaceMenu requires SKSE, both were removed and it hasn't happened since.

Sounds like a loose file somewhere in Data, maybe -- like a .dll (from an SKSE mod) that wasn't compatible with your version of SKSE.  (Some SKSE mods don't even have an .esp or .esl to disable.  They're just a .dll, with maybe an .ini for configuration.  To stop them from loading, you have to either remove these files, or not launch with SKSE.)And by the way, a loose file isn't necessarily going to be disabled by disabling the .esm/.esp/.esl it came with.  The game might still load it -- especially if it's named the same as something in one of the base game's or DLCs' .bsa's.

Edited by AaronOfMpls
rearranged the post sections a bit

7 hours ago, AaronOfMpls said:

Hey, you do you!  Many of us find a good mod manager makes it easier to keep track of what mod files we've installed.  But you can indeed get along without one -- especially if you keep track yourself of what you're putting in your game.

(As a side note, before I discovered Mod Organizer, I wasn't using a mod manager either.  Though since I had trouble keeping track of which mods added which files, I'd sometimes pack a newly-downloaded mod's loose files into a .bsa before adding it to my game, so I could disable or remove that mod without worrying about its files still doing something.  (.bsa's only get loaded when their accompanying .esm/.esp/.esl file is active.))

===================================

In any case, if other people have similar problems with their game:

Sounds like a loose file somewhere in Data, maybe -- like a .dll (from an SKSE mod) that wasn't compatible with your version of SKSE.  (Some SKSE mods don't even have an .esp or .esl to disable.  They're just a .dll, with maybe an .ini for configuration.  To stop them from loading, you have to either remove these files, or not launch with SKSE.)And by the way, a loose file isn't necessarily going to be disabled by disabling the .esm/.esp/.esl it came with.  The game might still load it -- especially if it's named the same as something in one of the base game's or DLCs' .bsa's.

This is entirely possible. Seems Steam installs an incompatible version of SKSE and I had to remove that and install the one linked here on Nexus to get racemenu working. I like the making of BSA idea and will have to make sure my custom race file gets one when done. It was after getting SKSE working and then RaceMenu that the issue started. I don't have any mods affecting Riverwood though except Bijin's makeovers for NPCs and Modpocalypse(s). I doubt either of these use SKSE since I haven't reinstalled it after the fresh install. I had MO before and it is a great app but it wouldnt let me control where data files would be stored and as such filled up my tiny c drive (256GB ultra speed NVME) rather than using my 2TB nvme d drive or the 4 TB SATA SSD or the 2x 16TB HDD. This is why I dont use it anymore. Besides, I only use 146 mods. I could list them from memory if it wouldnt take so long to type. I know what each mod does and where it put files (though not every single file -- i have to zips to tell me that).

So might not been SKSE after all, that's good news. Might also be why I couldn't get SkyUI and MCM to work.

7 hours ago, AaronOfMpls said:

didnt see this... i only said i wasnt asking for help fixing the issue because reinstalling everything already fixed it... sorry for the confusion there

Posted (edited)

Besides, I only installed racemenu to try to recreate the face in my first post which I determined is impossible (for me) due to (my) lack of artistic talent.

Edited by ghowriter

49 minutes ago, ghowriter said:

I had MO before and it is a great app but it wouldnt let me control where data files would be stored

You can change this in MO2 (though I don't remember if MO1 had it or not).  Go to Tools menu > Settings (or Settings button up top) → Paths tab, and choose different locations for Downloads, Mods, Profiles, etc.  Either type or paste the folder paths in, or use the [...] buttons to browse to them.

Spoiler

Screenshot_2024-03-03_01-09-01_c.png.b604bdb5db654f00f177c8661734bab9.png

EDIT: Ignore that this is for my LE install; I have another copy of MO2 set up similarly for my SE install.

42 minutes ago, ghowriter said:

sorry for the confusion there

No problem. 🙂

Edited by AaronOfMpls