Crossbow fire sound effect

p4nc4cke2467

Hello,

I'm pretty new to modding, but I have done quite of a bit of research on how the toolset works and modding the game overall. Unfortunately the type of mod I wanted to make turned out to be very difficult for this game. 

I essentially just wanted to replace the weak crossbow fire sound effect with my own one. I followed the guide on how to add sounds using FMOD designer and got it to build successfully. The problem is to associate that sound effect with the vanilla one to replace it. 

The combat sound effects (except spells) are located in glo_fly_wep.fdp 

You can open them in FMOD designer to see the structure and all the sound files, but you cannot play them (I guess they are encrypted and I understand why). That means you can't just have the same sound files and just replace the ones you want, because you can't build since these files are missing. 

I tried to make my own sound file with the exact same names and structure as glo_fly_wep.fdp in FMOD, but when I put it into the override folder the game plays no combat sounds at all. If I rename it, the game plays vanilla sounds. 

I also looked into the animation events in the toolset. You can add sounds to animations. Problem is those sounds are fse, so I can't load in my custom sound which is mp3 initially and turned into fsb.

Not sure about Extending_GDAs, if that could work.

There is an excel file named "sounds" which has the crossbow fire sound in it. Not sure how this works tough, and there is no ID associated with it.

Maybe it isn't possible to mod individual combat sound files like this sadly, unless you have the source files, or i'm missing something.

If anyone knows how this could be done I would greatly appreciate it. I could post my sound file if anyone wants.

Thanks in advance

On the sound_weapon_actions tab in the Sound_Weapon.xls file says:

• ID: 9    
  • Label: CrossBow    
  • Swish: glo_fly_wep/weapon_impacts/xbow/movement/swish    
  • LoadProjectile: glo_fly_wep/weapon_impacts/xbow/movement/load    
  • Fire: glo_fly_wep/weapon_impacts/xbow/movement/fire    
  • Sheath: glo_fly_wep/weapon_impacts/xbow/movement/sheath    
  • Unsheath: glo_fly_wep/weapon_impacts/xbow/movement/unsheath   

I think that the problem is that your new sound needs to be located where the rest of the sounds are not just in the override folder. These might have to added via a module but then you have to make sure the rest of the sounds are in there too or you'll only have a sound for your crossbows and all other sounds will be silent.  

I had a similar issue when trying to combine Origins music with Awakening music, but I couldn't figure out how to merge both files. I could bring Awakening music to Origins but then Origins music wouldn't play.

• Like 1

Hmm yes, what you are saying makes alot of sense. There is a music editor mod that allows you to replace your own music with original tracks and it works. I think it builds a single fsb file that contains all sounds for the entire game, and in it is your replaced soundtracks. Thats why it works. If you want to edit individual sound files, such as specific combat sounds inside the glo_fly_wep.fdp, you need all the other ones inside of it as well or it won't work. 

It's a shame really, because the original crossbow sounds are really weak and I wanted to improve it, but it seems it's impossible without having access to the source  glo_fly_wep.fdp files.

Yea, as far as I know I haven't seen any guide that covers these kinds of stuff sadly. Maybe someone that knows alot about this could figure out a way to do it, but I would think it's impossible. Thanks for the help in any case.

Actually changing glo_fly_wep/weapon_impacts/xbow/movement/fire makes it use another fire sound it turns out. 

For instance, if you replace it with glo_fly_wep/weapon_impacts/bow/movement/fire, it uses the bow fire sound instead of the crossbow which is better. It's not as good the one I had intended to use, but it is still better. Changing the various paths here for weapons or in the other sheet impact sounds changes these in-game actually. 

The problem is I don't know how to bring my own sounds into it. I tried my own path for my own Fmod fsb file but it dind't work.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, p4nc4cke2467 said:

Actually changing glo_fly_wep/weapon_impacts/xbow/movement/fire makes it use another fire sound it turns out. 

For instance, if you replace it with glo_fly_wep/weapon_impacts/bow/movement/fire, it uses the bow fire sound instead of the crossbow which is better. It's not as good the one I had intended to use, but it is still better. Changing the various paths here for weapons or in the other sheet impact sounds changes these in-game actually. 

The problem is I don't know how to bring my own sounds into it. I tried my own path for my own Fmod fsb file but it dind't work.

Sorry, we haven't been able to help solve your problem but a decent replacement till then.