How to attach BSSkin::Instance in Nifskope

Hey everyone!

I'm currently working on a stimpak replacer, I have my models and everything but I'm running into trouble in Nifskope. I'm attempting to paste my BsTrishape into the AnimObjectStimpackSkinned model

Screenshot2024-03-29083040.thumb.png.68c7704c14114bf39809badcc9504004.png

My model is 8 on the branch (ignore the bad placement for now as I'm just trying to make this work) and the skininstance of the stimpak I replaced is at the bottom. I'm attempting to attach it to my BSTriShape, but have been unable to do so. Any advice on how to go about doing this? 

Update for anyone interested: 

I managed to attach my BSSkin::Instance to the BSTriShapes of my model, and copied all the values to mine from the stimpak, so now everything is exactly the same for mine.

Screenshot2024-03-29115110.thumb.png.608045e01edff9d906ad1611d1de6b1b.pngScreenshot2024-03-29115202.thumb.png.b9d7fe831d17770bee3f33f1b2c059ff.png

This is my first time attempting anything like this, so I'm not sure what I'm doing wrong. But my model does not have this sphere around it like the stimpak does. This is the only part which seems to have not carried over for me

I've only removed skinning a few times with NifSkope, never added one. For copying of bone weights I use Outfit Studio. In OS right click on original mesh and set it as reference, the name becomes green. Then right click on new mesh and copy bone weights, use default settings. There are move, scale and rotate options in the right click menu, if you have to adjust the position of the new mesh to somewhat fit the original one. Set reference on original mesh again, so the name's not green anymore, or perhaps delete the mesh if you don't need it. Export as a nif file.

4 hours ago, robotized said:

I've only removed skinning a few times with NifSkope, never added one. For copying of bone weights I use Outfit Studio. In OS right click on original mesh and set it as reference, the name becomes green. Then right click on new mesh and copy bone weights, use default settings. There are move, scale and rotate options in the right click menu, if you have to adjust the position of the new mesh to somewhat fit the original one. Set reference on original mesh again, so the name's not green anymore, or perhaps delete the mesh if you don't need it. Export as a nif file.

Thanks for the reply! I finally figured it out a little while back. I had not ticked the skinned flag on the main NiNodes of my mesh, which was in turn preventing me from actually applying any bone weights to it in OS. Leaving this here in case some poor soul needs it in the future

I know I'm going in the opposite direction, just wanted to mention about removing the skinning again. So doing it in NifSkope, you have to disable "Skinned" flag from two places:

• BSTriShape/BSSubIndexTriShape -> Vertex Desc -> right click and Vertex Flags
  • BSLightingShaderProperty/BSEffectShaderProperty -> Shader Flags 1

If both are not removed, you may get crashes when you put the nif in the game.

16 hours ago, robotized said:

I know I'm going in the opposite direction, just wanted to mention about removing the skinning again. So doing it in NifSkope, you have to disable "Skinned" flag from two places:

• BSTriShape/BSSubIndexTriShape -> Vertex Desc -> right click and Vertex Flags
  • BSLightingShaderProperty/BSEffectShaderProperty -> Shader Flags 1

If both are not removed, you may get crashes when you put the nif in the game.

Thanks for that! Ended up dealing with that very thing and had to fix it