Essential Mods for skyrim performance and base modding

DK662

Hello Community,

i changed my old Win8.1 PC and SkyrimSE to a new Win11 PC and Skyrim AE. So i want to start modding my skyrim from scratch.

I'm looking for a list with all the essential mods for performance and base modding. Like e.g. Skse, Adress Library, Engine fixes and so on.

I also wants to make sure to use the best modmanager. I used NMM and NMMCE the last 20 years and never had a problem, but since some devs refuse to support you, if u dont use Vortex or Skyrim Modmanager i guess i have to change it. Also i read so much about about problems with vortex I'm really not sure and hope for advice.

Next thing would be, what would u recommend for animations? I always used FNIS, but there is also Nemesis and a new one that is still in alpha or beta but i forgot the name..

And at least i need an advice on physics for e.g. cloaks or Calientes tools. HDT, Smp, bba i'm not sure which one works best.

As you see i am more the oldschool type and my motto always was, never change a running system. But time moved on and i guess so do i now and i hope you guys will help me to use the best direction, that I'm save for the next 10 years. (OT: i would also need the same for FO4)

i send you my regards and hope for good advices.

Cheers DK

Edit: i forgot to ask if i should go for DynDOLOD or are there better alternatives.

Edited by DK662

I use Vortex for the mod management (largely automated process, but a steep learning curve), but there is soon to be a replacement from Nexus, ETA - ???.  There are a LOT of hard core mod users that use MO2, and can help with its rather steep learning curve.

There's also a Skyrim section to the forum, under Game Communites > Skyrim.  Though you have to click Join Community there to post in it.

(You can get to it from the Skyrim LE and SE sections of the main Nexus site too, via Community > Forums there.)

As for other essential mods, I recommend Alternate Start - Live Another Life, so you don't have to sit through the cart ride again after major mod changes.  It brings you straight to character creation in a quiet prison cell (thus continuing the Elder Scrolls starting tradition).  After that, it's a nice quiet place to let your mods start up and MCMs load, before you pick a start and get into the game itself.

5 hours ago, 7531Leonidas said:

There are a LOT of hard core mod users that use MO2, and can help with its rather steep learning curve.

Yup, I've been using Mod Organizer in some form for more than a decade now.  And with the ESL plugin limit so high (4096 now, I think?), I've seen a few people here with literally 1000+ mods in their SE game. 

(Though I've only got ~240 mods in LE, and haven't nearly caught up to that yet in SE since I started playing it in January.)

13 hours ago, 7531Leonidas said:

I use Vortex for the mod management (largely automated process, but a steep learning curve), but there is soon to be a replacement from Nexus, ETA - ???.  There are a LOT of hard core mod users that use MO2, and can help with its rather steep learning curve.

I started with Vortex yesterday and i had already error messages at the first start on a clean win 11 system with not a single mod installed. i dug a little further in it, but now I'm sure im changing to MO or maybe going back to NMMCE. I'll try out today.

8 hours ago, AaronOfMpls said:

There's also a Skyrim section to the forum, under Game Communites > Skyrim.  Though you have to click Join Community there to post in it.

(You can get to it from the Skyrim LE and SE sections of the main Nexus site too, via Community > Forums there.)

Sorry for that, next time i will have a closer look.

7 hours ago, AaronOfMpls said:

As for other essential mods, I recommend Alternate Start - Live Another Life, so you don't have to sit through the cart ride again after major mod changes.  It brings you straight to character creation in a quiet prison cell (thus continuing the Elder Scrolls starting tradition).  After that, it's a nice quiet place to let your mods start up and MCMs load, before you pick a start and get into the game itself.

I used it together with Legacy of the Dragonborn for a good start in my last installment. Sorry i meant essential mods for better performance, more fps, prevent crashes, engine fixes and stuff like that.

• Like 1

55 minutes ago, DK662 said:

I used it together with Legacy of the Dragonborn for a good start in my last installment. Sorry i meant essential mods for better performance, more fps, prevent crashes, engine fixes and stuff like that.

No problem. 🙂

• Like 1