How do I save my character's face as a preset mod/plugin? (Preferably in .esp form))

Ultimarok

I'd like to save my character's face as a preset to use in character creation for future playthroughs without having to recreate him from scratch. Preferably as a .esp mod/plugin. (Or something that doesn't require the script extender.)

I've looked at faceripper, but this seems to be for ripping NPC faces, rather than the player's and the last update was in 2020. LooksMenu seems to require the script extender and does not seem to be able to save the preset as a mod/plugin. (Could be wrong on the last one.)

Both NPC and Character looks are stored as .json files

They do not require F4SE

Not all NPCs faces can be stored this way only the minority that are unique and sometimes there are problems with those too.

But for character its easy. I do believe you need looksmenu though to save and access presets.

Looks menu also saves its files as .json these files are very stable.

The file itself does not use F4SE. (I think the panic about the update on F4SE is likely a bit overblown, but certainly there will be some disruptions for some favorite mods ( I for one turned off steam updates and locked my .asf file as "read only" so my FO4 version wil not accept updates for now)

On 4/23/2024 at 12:45 PM, Ultimarok said:

I'd like to save my character's face as a preset to use in character creation for future playthroughs without having to recreate him from scratch. Preferably as a .esp mod/plugin. (Or something that doesn't require the script extender.)

I've looked at faceripper, but this seems to be for ripping NPC faces, rather than the player's and the last update was in 2020. LooksMenu seems to require the script extender and does not seem to be able to save the preset as a mod/plugin. (Could be wrong on the last one.)

FaceRipper reads appearance data from the save file while LooksMenu from the game process memory. LooksMenu requires F4SE, both saves to/reads JSON but only FaceRipper can save to a plugin (format can be .esp or .esp as far as I know).

Are you sure you can't select the Player from the dropdown menu in FaceRipper? It should work.

By the way, it's not impossible that FaceRipper needs to be updated too after the Next-Gen update.

Edited by LarannKiar
  • Like 1