Simple query: what mods should I remove from my load order to increase FPS?

my load order.

I'm inquiring

1. max amount of mods or plugins to allow better/best FPS

2. what types of mods/plugins to not use or remove to allow better/best FPS

3. anything else that anyone is willing to mention that will allow better/best FPS

I have a heavy mod order, but am looking to slim down to achieve smooth buttery FPS.

peace.

Afaik: High res textures, very script heavy mods (indirectly?), and mods associated settings which significantly  increase the number of "creatures" (including NPCS) spawned into a concentrated area.

CAO Folkvangr

Bigger city/town/farm mods cause drain easily if all the objects are above vanilla detail (choose there quality or quantity)

Use ENB overlay to view drawcalls and see your limit according to CPU (run around to different areas and compare)

If your VRAM is full, lower FPS there will be

Lower grass density

Is your GPU maximum? Is your CPU strongest core maximum?

Look for SPID conversions of scripts, cloak scripts

• Like 1

5 hours ago, anjenthedog said:

Afaik: High res textures, very script heavy mods (indirectly?), and mods associated settings which significantly  increase the number of "creatures" (including NPCS) spawned into a concentrated area.

understood about high res textures;

is there a way of determining outside of playing the game as to what mods are script heavy?  perhaps file sizes?

also understood about NPCs and Creatures.

Posted (edited)

@Fractalbase

I found this post on Steam. The user posed the question, 'How to tell how script heavy your load order is?', and another user, Grumpy (Possibly the legendary companion script writer? This was posted in 2019. When did Grumpy die?), posted a reply and linked to a script latency tester mod here on Nexus.

I hope that helps.

Edited by UsernameWithA9
  • Like 1

+1 for Elephant's script latency tester.

FWIW, when I run it, I usually just have it output to the screen as a status monitor. If it stays within the ~70-90ms range, all's well, but once it climbs above that (sustained), it's time to fast-travel (or otherwise get there quickly)  to a quiet player home or a cave (that exists in another cell) and idle a while. Once the latency time falls back to a reasonable level, make a save, clean that save using Fallrim and purge any unattached instances and undefined elements, as noted by the Fallrim status report generated during file open. Then open that cleaned save file.

Note: While running the latency tester, if you open a menu or otherwise suspend play, the next value produced by Elephant's, just following return to game will be high, so don't panic. (it will include however long you were idling in the menu/etc)

And as to any question of "how can I stop this from happening altogether, gd it, it bugs the f out of me!", well, I'm right there witcha, but at least in my experience, I don't think that's a practical stance. Irrespective of the perfection of any mods we choose to install (or not), glitches happen sometimes, that can cause things to go off course. Little to do about that outside not playing Skyrim 😉

(not talking about mods that routinely cause issues... for those, I think that one ultimately has to question, "am I wiling to cope with the issues this mod brings, because there's something special about it something else won't offer?" )

Oh, and how can I tell a mod is causing script bottlenecking? Well the first an foremost way I can see is checking the save file using fallrim tools. If it reports any unattached instances and undefined elements, then an examination fo the entries will indicate which mods, or more precisely (I think) which plugins they are associated with.

In addition, any mods that have MCM entries for "polling time", that you've cleverly set to their lowest settings for "maximum realism", well among whichever others are clogging the game's veins, those. A few dozen mods polling for data every 10ms or less, can end up creating a backlog, or at least contribute..

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, anjenthedog said:

+1 for Elephant's script latency tester.

Yep, that's what I was referencing above.  @Fractalbase wanted a solution outside of playing the game but I didn't think there was any way to test script latency without running relevant mods through the game engine, a.k.a. playing the game.

• Like 1

Yep and great suggestion

But like I said, you can check postscript (haha) by examining a save file. script bottlenecking *in game* usually produces evidence in the save file (presuming you didn't exit the game the hard way). Fallrim is perfect for that check, and for purging such data.

Having said that. Elephant's is great because it can save you from a sudden ctd while frolicking through some field way out in the wild, while blithely "having the best Skyrim walk-about I've ever had". When you feel a little sluggishness, fire it up, verify, and if needed get to a safe place.

• Like 1