Troubleshooting: I need help adjusting default run to walk in SkyrimPrefs.ini

Posted (edited)

Hi all! In my SkyrimPrefs.ini, I edited default run from bAlwaysRunByDefault=1 to 0 so that when I load the game, my character walks by default. It's the .ini in my Documents > My Games > Skyrim Special Edition folder. Is this the wrong .ini? I know I did this in the past on my old computer, and it worked. I've checked repeatedly that it's done correctly, but I still run by default. I don't see any mods enabled in MO2 that I think could be affecting it.

Any ideas? What am I doing wrong?

EDIT: Tested and it DOES work on a new game, but not when I load a save from before I made the edit. Is this the type of thing that gets baked into a save file?

Edited by lenora22
new info

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, lenora22 said:

Is this the type of thing that gets baked into a save file?

Yes and no. 

Your save file remembers if your movement was set to walking or running on save.  But you can toggle walk/run by hitting Caps Lock, much like holding Shift temporarily toggles it as long as you're holding Shift.

EDIT: And if you don't want Caps Lock on elsewhere after hitting it, you can toggle it off again in the Steam Overlay, the console (maybe?*) or while out of the game (either tabbed out or quit to desktop) without it changing.  Or you can bind the walk/run toggle to a different key in your game settings.

* I'll have to experiment again to see which Caps Lock states toggle while closed or not in focus, and which don’t. 

Edited by AaronOfMpls
additional thought; smaller text on footnote (y no text size option on mobile?)

Thanks AaronOfMpls for your reply. It doesn't seem to remember whether I'm walking or running on a save, which is weird if it's supposed to. I just tested it and once I load a game, if I continue to load saves from that character, it does remember. But if I go back to the main menu and load a save, or if I just opened the game and load a save, it always auto-runs. It only takes half a second to hit caps lock to walk at each time when I log in, but it's so annoying! Haha! Thanks again. 🙂

• Like 1