Help Needed! Frame Rate Drops Due to Music Switching Issue in Fallout 3 (SteamDeck)

aASOSAa

Hello everyone,

I've noticed a sudden drop in frame rate every time I encounter enemies in Fallout 3. Upon investigation, it seems to be related to the game switching MP3 music tracks. Just like in the Video below, whenever the music transitions during enemy encounters or after defeating them, there's a noticeable drop in frame rate displayed in the top left corner.

https://ibb.co/gwj7PKM

(Thewas recorded by me at Low, so the frame rate didn't drop much)

I've tried exploring the game's local files and found these MP3 files used during combat. I attempted to delete them or replace them with WAV and OGG files, but the game failed to recognize them, resulting in more stuttering.

I've also tried every method I could find online:

1. Adjusting the audio cache and multi-threaded audio in FALLOUT.ini (ineffective)
  2. Using protontricks to install the ffdshow audio program for the game and removing fallout.exe from it (ineffective)
  3. Utilizing the PowerTools plugin to disable SMT (effective, significantly stabilized overall frame rates, reducing music stuttering from an initial drop of 8 frames to only 4 frames)
  4. Adding properties in Steam, such as "PROTON_NO_STEAM_FFMPEG" and "WINE_DO_NOT_CREATE_DXGI_DEVICE_MANAGER" (ineffective, seemed to have no effect)
  5. Disabling Sync (ineffective, and VATS in the game slowed down! Please don't disable)

Could it be due to Linux's inadequate support for MP3? Because when I lower the game settings to Low, the frame rate drop from this stuttering issue becomes almost negligible, but the graphics quality suffers significantly.

Do any of you have any good suggestions or methods to resolve this issue?

(My English is not good, and this is translated. Sorry)