A way to add tracks?

Posted (edited)
45 minutes ago, niston said:

Oh wait, I forgot something!

Use this diagram:

Hide contents

z2rEojo.png

ENTER button will bring up dialog to manually type a frequency on your keyboard.

This is very timely.😁 As you may have noticed yesterday, I have already made a model by copying the original. Remaking this model is a hell of a job. Texture D is almost ready. We'll have to get out of the situation. We only have a small display for numbers. The one in which the frequencies.

We need to stop rushing. You must first make a plan exactly what needs to be done. The lack of planning increases the work significantly.

There's no hurry. Anyway, we have already set a record for the number of posts. 😁

Edited by South8028

But South... I already explained this like waaaay earlier: The in-game radio is like that - Frequencies have up to 3 numbers followed by up to 46 decimal places and they are all relevant. A station on 98.000001 is not the same as a station on 98.000000. Blame Todd; It just works.

This peculiarity is btw also the reason why writing a script to scan for stations is hard. If you have to try every 0.000001 step to see if there is a station on that frequency, then your script is going to take aeons to scan through the entire range. Or your scanner code could jump in larger steps, but it's inevitably going to miss any stations in between then. Luckily, we have SUP F4SE acceleration to solve this problem for good.

2 minutes ago, niston said:

But South... I already explained this like waaaay earlier: The in-game radio is like that - Frequencies have up to 3 numbers followed by up to 46 decimal places and they are all relevant. A station on 98.000001 is not the same as a station on 98.000000. Blame Todd; It just works.

I'll see what i can do. But I’m not sure what can be fixed without radically reworking the entire model.

What if you just slap a flat plane over the entire area and then use this as a texture for that plane:

5NPOIzF.png

No hard edits to model, can always remove the panel again. Could eve be a separate NIF that attaches to the base.
Script can easily spawn the nixies on top of that, it'll look like in the mockup pic.

Just now, niston said:

What if you just slap a flat trishape over the area and then use this as a texture:

5NPOIzF.png

Can spawn the nixies on top of that, it'll look like in the mockup pic.

This is how I will do it... I will finish the textures for this model, because I feel sorry for the time spent and I need to finish everything to the end. Let it be too. For the interior. Then, based on this model, I will make a new model with your dial. You can think even more about the design. I think this panel is huge. She looks unnatural. Is it possible to make this panel smaller? So that it fits into the design?

FM1R.jpg

FM1F.jpg

1 minute ago, niston said:

The Tuner model looks gorgeous.

Which panel do you want to make smaller? The one for the nixies?

Yes, sure. It would be great if it was in a similar style... Elongated, narrow. You can think about how best to do it. If we do not have a copy of the original, then there are no restrictions. You can do anything. Remove another extra panel, make an additional indicator... Etc.. The main thing is that it combines organically.

I made the mockup by editing directly onto a photo of the front panel of an actual Crown FM1 tuner.
The I literally cut the section from this picture and deleted the nixie tubes I added earlier:

lNZ6jrv.png

I think it fits pretty nice, overall design wise?

Would you like to make it recessed, like the remaining bar graph indicators? So the nixies in the frame would be a tad bit smaller?

In the attached panel NIF, you find a mockup of the original 10 digit display. It has mockup versions of the nixies (at actual sizes as used in game) in it. You can copy one of them out for your reference and to experiment around with, if you like. We're going to need 10 of the nixies in a row. The individual tubes can be uniformly rescaled if so desired. They attach at 0,0,0 to their parent NiNodes.

Edit: I've also attached a nixie nif, for reference. It's the tube that can show numbers. There are others.

ConsolePanel-NixieDisplay.nif

ConsolePanelNixieNumeric.nif

6 minutes ago, niston said:

I made the mockup by editing directly onto a photo of the front panel of an actual Crown FM1 tuner.
The I literally cut the section from this picture and deleted the nixie tubes I added earlier:

lNZ6jrv.png

I think it fits pretty nice, overall design wise?

Would you like to make it recessed, like the remaining bar graph indicators? So the nixies would be a tad bit smaller?
In the attached NIF, you find a mockup of the original 10 digit display. It has mockup versions of the nixies (at actual sizes as used in game) in it. You can copy one of them out for your reference and to experiment around with, if you like. We're going to need 10 of the nixies in a row. They can be uniformly rescaled if so desired.

ConsolePanel-NixieDisplay.nif 20.35 kB · 0 downloads

The numbers themselves look huge. They seem to be 20 years technologically behind the design of this tuner. We need to reduce the numbers themselves. We will put them under glass, and this row will be small numbers on a dark glass background.

Ah, yes. I agree. It's a 70s style display on an 80s tuner.

Well, the "nixies" in my display are in fact just a texture. The individual numbers are UV animated.
For the numbers tube, it's a vanilla texture: Textures\Effects\NixieTubeNumbers02Base_d.DDS

If you can create a new texture for it in 7segment LED display style?

HUaYmJz.png

You can base layout on vanilla texture. New texture must cover dark (nothing displayed) and numbers 0 ... 9.

In addition to numbers, there is another texture for symbols. It must have dark, dot and dash. Other symbols are likely not required for the tuner. Dot must be weirdly and specifically placed, as depicted above.

Alternatively, you could create an entirely new 7segment single digit NIF with at least 13 static states, using all in one texture:
dark, 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 0, ., -  The nixie script will work with it and will spawn these 7 segment LED digits instead.

We can also rescale the digits to be larger or smaller as desired, without much issue. The NiNodes to which they attach to need to be adjusted as they determine the spacing between the individual digits, but that's about it.