A way to add tracks?

3 minutes ago, niston said:

Here's a front-loading Betacam recorder that accepts large and small cartridges:

https://www.next-archive.com/product/sony-dvw-m2000p/

And another one, dude loading a small cartridge into it:

The slot has 3 segments. A large cartridge covers all of them. A small cartridge only covers the middle segment.

Will the holotape upload be implemented only by a script? Accordingly, in the loading animation, do I need to animate only the cassette receiver, without the model of the holotape itself? Did I understand correctly? In this regard... Do we really need such complexity? You still need to be able to discern what kind of holo-recording is being inserted into the receiver. Well, or the second option... We have some kind of open or transparent cassette receiver, and we always see what kind of holo-recording is in the player? The option with an open cassette receiver is a variant of the first VCRs... Like the first jvs, or the Soviet VM12.

Yes, only tape receiver need to be animated. Receiver will have a node to which tape model is being attached to. Once attached, the tape moves with the receiver. Tape model is spawned and attached by script, yes.

It's nice and useful to be able to see if and what tape is loaded, without having to open inventory or messing about.  You could even make a transparent slot cover and then we could place a light source inside the tape deck to illuminate the loaded tape. But you decide on what looks best and matches up well with style of existing components.

1 minute ago, niston said:

Yes, only tape receiver need to be animated. It will have a node to which tape model is being attached to, so it moves with the receiver. Tape model is spawned and attached by script, yes.

It's nice and useful to be able to see if and what tape is loaded, without having to open inventory or messing about. But you decide on what looks best and matches up well with style of existing components. 

In general, I looked... We discussed nonsense for 2 hours. 😁 The meshes of all vanilla holotapes are absolutely identical in geometry and size. This is the same mesh. Game holotapes are no different from other holotapes. It's the same mesh, just flipped over. Look for an opportunity to display them correctly with the script.

Holotape.jpg

Hmm... I distinctly remember having to resize the game tapes for the holotape shelf.

Orientation can be adjusted by type specific node, I already have script for it.

Ah yes:

Spoiler
; is not standard holotape prop, or derived from - assume game style holotape - scale to full size												
curTapeProp.SetScale(1.58) ; scale factor for game-style tapes

Scale factor 1.58 for game tapes.

I can of course just scale them if you don't want to create loading mechanism that supports the smaller tapes. Although, scaling them from code is a bit iffy.

Posted (edited)
8 minutes ago, niston said:

Hmm... I distinctly remember having to resize the game tapes for the holotape shelf.

Orientation can be adjusted by type specific node, I already have script for it.

I opened them all in 3ds. These are the same mesh of the same size. Holotapes of games simply need to be oriented in xyz.Of course, they need to be unified in size, if some stupid person at Bethesda for some reason reduced them by a factor. Loading the same mesh of different sizes into one cassette receiver looks like nonsense.

Edited by South8028

2 minutes ago, niston said:

They are of different size in game. Are they skinned or something?

No. They are literally the same model. It differs only in texture and xyz orientation. Some smart guy reflected the mesh from left to right for some reason. I think this was done because the uv lettering was mirrored. Instead of mirroring the uv, this person mirrored the mesh itself. There are no more differences.

Regular holotape vs game holotape as seen in-game:VT8a4bZ.png

EoBrX5g.png

I remember now: For the holotape shelf, I scale the game tapes up to regular size because neeher made the game holotape shelf before he knew of the difference. So the slots in the game shelf mesh ended up being too large for the game tapes.

I can simply do the same for the tape deck loading mechanism.

2 minutes ago, niston said:

VT8a4bZ.png

EoBrX5g.png

This means that somewhere in ck or in nif there is a coefficient set that ruined the logic of the game. We need to get rid of this nonsense. All holotapes in the game are identical, use the same mesh, and are the same thing. They are loaded into the same cassette receiver and, according to the lore, are no different from each other. The fact that some Bethesda employee did nonsense out of the blue and made life difficult for everyone is not something we should emulate.😁