A way to add tracks?

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, niston said:

What if you make it look more like a early 80s CD player and less like a 70s VCR?

Those music cassette style front loaders were popular in the early days:

cQ0VOLU.png

I'll think about the design some more. It’s just that this crap is so small, in comparison with our standard amplifier, radio, vinyl, in width and height... It’s as if they were shoving a flash drive into a tube TV from the 60s. In principle, this player can also be made. Aesthetically, it looks like a cassette tape player from the early 80s.

Magnavox3.jpg

Magnavox4.jpg

Magnavox6.jpg

Magnavox7.jpg

proportions.jpg

Edited by South8028

Posted (edited)
10 minutes ago, niston said:

The small player would make for a good standalone device I guess.
One that works without requiring speakers and an amplifier and all that.

Logically, it doesn't matter how you use it. We can make any furniture and arrange the blocks the way you want. It's just a size issue. The proportions are off. The holotape must be visible. If she is visible, then all the equipment in her background turns into a giant tube TV. I don't know, you could try making a two-cassette player to neutralize this effect. Just take a professional double-tape deck from the 80s and replace the cassettes with holotapes?

Edited by South8028

As a possible source of inspiration, here is picture of very rare JVC Microcassette deck.

RWSGXXe.png

Have a larger window to show full holotape label and perhaps remove the mechanical counter. Where LED VU meter is, nixies can go. Add 19" rackmounts and texture details to get style similar to wattz FM1. Idk, it's an idea?

Microcassettes were really tiny, equivalent to the pipboy sized holotape I guess.

ZaS0WSK.png

1 minute ago, niston said:

As a possible source of inspiration, here is picture of very rare JVC Microcassette deck.

RWSGXXe.png

Microcassettes were about as small as the pipboy sized holotape I guess.

ZaS0WSK.png

Yes, as an option. I'll look for something I can copy. Is this little holoplayer useful to us? I didn't do a UV for it. If you don't need it, I won't do it, because I won't use holotapes at all.

5 minutes ago, South8028 said:

Is this little holoplayer useful to us?

Perhaps we can keep the mesh around and once we're done with HiFi System, we can make it work?

On 7/22/2024 at 11:38 PM, niston said:

Perhaps we can keep the mesh around and once we're done with HiFi System, we can make it work?

Based on Sanyo rd xm1 microcassette player. Instead of indicators, there are luminous inscriptions on the same board as Nixie. Play, Record, Rewind, etc. The captions are already integrated into the screen.

XM1_1.jpg

XM1_2.jpg

XM1_3.jpg

XM1_4.jpg

XM1_5.jpg

• Like 1

This looks great!

One edit:

- Remove mechanical counter and reset button to the left of the loading mechanism. We have Nixie Tubes! 😄

A suggestion:

- In place of the headphones connector, place suitably scaled power pushbutton (same as on FM-1) with led and remove the rectangular power button. This, together with stripping the mechanical counter, will leave room above the power switch for WATTZ logo 🙂

Otherwise:

- Big square button gonna be Eject like in original
- Rightmost button gonna be Display Mode
- One of the remaining 3, likely the 2nd right most one,  is gonna be Configure
- No idea yet what to do with the other 2.

I like it, very much!

EDIT: Actually keep all the buttons below the loading mechanism: We can do ff/rev now as well as prev/next track!

38 minutes ago, niston said:

This looks great!

One edit:

- Remove mechanical counter and reset button to the left of the loading mechanism. We have Nixie Tubes! 😄

A suggestion:

- In place of the headphones connector, place suitably scaled power pushbutton (same as on FM-1) with led and remove the rectangular power button. This, together with stripping the mechanical counter, will leave room above the power switch for WATTZ logo 🙂

Otherwise:

- Big square button gonna be Eject like in original
- Rightmost button gonna be Display Mode
- One of the remaining 3, likely the 2nd right most one,  is gonna be Configure
- No idea yet what to do with the other 2.

I like it, very much!

EDIT: Actually keep all the buttons below the loading mechanism: We can do ff/rev now as well as prev/next track!

Maybe the power button down in one row with the other buttons (instead of the headphone jack)? And the power button should be square, also in the same style as the other buttons. A round one will look ugly here. There are a lot of buttons. On the right under the nixie there are 3 buttons with indicators. 7 under the tray. + power will be at the bottom in a row with them. And there are 11 buttons. Some of them will be decorative if they are not needed.