A way to add tracks?

Posted (edited)

I thought about it and added a sleeve on which the Reels are put on (2 sequences for the visible and invisible state) and a tape recorder body with sequences for Enable/Disable AddOnNode and glowMap counters. Next, I will upload all project resources via this link to this Wattz folder.

https://disk.yandex.ru/d/8ERQRiPufcfF_A

Such an amplifier. I think it will suit the look. 

But these are not lamps. This is already the 70s. I didn't find anything among the lamp ones. Maybe you yourself will find something more successful and better.

crownpair_rightangle.jpg

and tuner

s-l1200.webp

Edited by South8028
  • Like 1

So glad you guys didn't adjourn to discord or some other place because it has been really fkn cool to see this come together. I wish more authors collaborated out in the open like this for prosperity sake. Google can't index discord conversations after all. 🙂

The "problem" with the real-world gear is: It has way too many controls.
For example, tone controls (treble, bass) won't be available to our in-game implementation: The audio effect system in the game is simply not sophisticated enough to implement them - It does have "state variable filter" effect, but only 2 of 4 relevant parameters can be configured on it, and only in CK.

As for the amp, what's possible:

- Power ON/OFF
- Listening source selector
- Balance
- Volume
- Potentially: Speaker pairs on/off (A/B)
- "LOUDNESS" function may be possible to implement. But it'll depend completely on F4SE DLL support and requires the ability to programmatically select Sound Output Model.

Also, anything to do with recording is completely out of reach.

For the Tuner:

- Power ON/OFF
- Frequency display (XXX.XXXX) - From what I currently know, frequency is relevant to the 6th decimal place (very much unlike in real world, where only 1 decimal place is needed).
- Tuning up/down (previous station, next station - could be a knob, or two buttons)
- Station memory, with buttons for perhaps 6 to maybe 8 stations, plus a MEMORY button.
- Perhaps: Button to bring up direct frequency entry dialog
- May be possible: Switchable BOOST function to raise volume of  radio stations (they are generally very quiet). Also depends on F4SE DLL.

Every device will need an extra button for System Configuration.

@South8028 How do you want to deal with this? Are you OK with having "dummy" controls that have no actual function and can't be activated?

Posted (edited)
3 hours ago, niston said:

The "problem" with the real-world gear is: It has way too many controls.
For example, tone controls (treble, bass) won't be available to our in-game implementation: The audio effect system in the game is simply not sophisticated enough to implement them - It does have "state variable filter" effect, but only 2 of 4 relevant parameters can be configured on it, and only in CK.

As for the amp, what's possible:

- Power ON/OFF
- Listening source selector
- Balance
- Volume
- Potentially: Speaker pairs on/off (A/B)
- "LOUDNESS" function may be possible to implement. But it'll depend completely on F4SE DLL support and requires the ability to programmatically select Sound Output Model.

Also, anything to do with recording is completely out of reach.

For the Tuner:

- Power ON/OFF
- Frequency display (XXX.XXXX) - From what I currently know, frequency is relevant to the 4th decimal place (very much unlike in real world, where only 1 decimal place is needed, which can be only 0 or 5 and nothing else).
- Tuning up/down (previous station, next station - could be a knob, or two buttons)
- Station memory, with buttons for perhaps 6 to maybe 8 stations, plus a MEMORY button.
- Perhaps: Button to bring up direct frequency entry dialog
- May be possible: Switchable BOOST function to raise volume of  radio stations (they are generally very quiet). Also depends on F4SE DLL.

Every device will need an extra button for System Configuration.

@South8028 How do you want to deal with this? Are you OK with having "dummy" controls that have no actual function and can't be activated?

How many sequences are there in volume and balance? 20 and 2? How many signal sources do you need? You can make... A tape recorder, a vinyl player, a tuner, you can probably also have a TV in the same style. Are we doing remote control? The tuner will be crown fm1, it is in the cyberpunk style of the 1980s. 😁 See for yourself which elements are worth animating there and which are not. My wish... Just for the music to play. 🙂 

I thought... It would be possible to make a rack for all the equipment, with ready-made decorations for wires and networks, with a bunch of bs connect points integrated into the design of the equipment and the rack. It will be possible to make ready-made prefabricated conduts solutions in the form of wires for speakers and remote connections. In form factors 32, 64, 128, 256, etc. In the future, you can try tinkering with ragdolls. Make real wires. I think this is feasible, but I have no idea how to connect them, given that bs connect points are completely static.

The reels on the tape recorder probably need to be redone. I don't like them. Some kind of cartoonish. It will be possible to make several types of reels for inscriptions and world models for them. Well, vinyl is the same. Various beautiful records. Well, I'll do it anyway. Because it's good for the interior. You can choose what you want to make active in the game, and what will remain just for the interior.

Edited by South8028

For Volume: The 20 step knob we have is good. 
For Balance: It may have 11 steps in total, where step #6 is the default position in the middle (neutral balance, knob indicator pointing straight up). Steps 1-6 would equal to balance knob turned left with 1 being ONLY left speaker active, 7-11 would be for turning towards the right, with 11 being ONLY right speaker active. The balance function will be implemented by adjusting output volume on L and R speakers accordingly.

Re listening source selector, it could be a turning knob (like on the crown amp), or it could be a set of mutually exclusive buttons (like the button/signal light I attached in earlier message).

I had a rack in mind as well. Components would snap into and possibly onto it.
Attached is screenshot of experimental half-height rack for 4x2HU components in 19" equipment style; Im gonna implement a tuner and a preamp for testing. 
Reel-2-Reel recorder could snap ontop of it. A Holotape Deck could be an additional component. 

rack_20240523_15-23-52.jpg

The Speakers you modelled are active speakers (built-in power amplifier), so there would be no power amp in the rack.
The speakers I used for testing is a free model from sketchfab. Perhaps you could make cooling fins that fit on them, so they look like active speakers as well.

Also keep in mind the need for 3 digits plus 4 decimal places on the frequency display when modelling the tuner. It's a peculiarity of how radio stations work in the game, no real-world HiFi equipment will have this.

2 minutes ago, niston said:

For Volume: The 20 step knob we have is good. 
For Balance: It may have 11 steps in total, where step #6 is the default position in the middle (neutral balance, knob indicator pointing straight up). Steps 1-6 would equal to balance knob turned left, 7-11 would be for turning towards the right.

I had a rack in mind as well. Components would snap into and possibly onto it.
Attached is experimental screenshot with a half-height rack for 4x2HU components in 19" equipment style; Im gonna implement a tuner and an amp for testing. 

rack_20240523_15-23-52.jpg

No, I meant a beautiful stand, with wires, real connection plugs, etc. To make it look beautiful. For example, an aluminum assembly made of 15 profiles of complex shape, with shelves for vinyl discs and reels. With any arrangement of equipment. To make it look like a recording studio. Beautiful interiors. Design is still important to me. I want it to be beautiful. If you want, I will later make a real server rack with compartments for server boxes. If you like this design. 😁

https://www.google.com/search?client=ms-android-samsung-ss&sca_esv=a83470496b33a403&sxsrf=ADLYWIIFyCjhV7unTpB3HqaQUrHT-f4yng:1716471612445&q=server+rack&uds=ADvngMhlQZS2SMSrIX8pvgnn1vzsRk92QQq2NpRpf19r4KegjKFxqS7Qh_tj7MUgJxtb8qZhToyWaG4qyGbuNlPyG0w_HoTDAbmoctpJhzCLLjb54J_2qBgJQNJ5ASesCg6eria4RITa_VcMUMSPPQsRXib-lA9A-qsmgN-1LuqNPVco9rp9NrEa9xXu78utR_afeVVyKDbVE7DpufvEbGHixSyZAh01BNdEk5hQO6hqz-yO82kh9pvpia5gJV2ZdOGRWf3tzgHDhuhc4yrtCMTJEkJunAVpHycwvKE5ie872bqQz-eB0gRkgnF3kQBdTp-oMEkgisazqbiQwXha8EvX97RPx0H4TqDv0JsoS3jT7K5TR650AT5HOqvyrwshZoTxhTpURPgB&udm=2&prmd=isvnmbt&sa=X&sqi=2&ved=2ahUKEwjF1ueF86OGAxWWFxAIHRM6DY4QtKgLegQICxAB&biw=384&bih=1030&dpr=2.81

Yes of course you can model rack as you want. The stuff I shown above is meant for testing purposes, tho I like the design. 
I think a lot is possible if we make the components snappable; Snappable stuff -> power can be transferred by snapping -> NetLink will work with it and make awesome stuff possible.
In theory, you could model a studio desk and the preamp and recorder could be snapped into it and work as well as if they were snapped into beautiful hifi rack model or connected with snappable cables with plugs.

24 minutes ago, niston said:

Yes of course you can model rack as you want. The stuff I shown above is meant for testing purposes, tho I like the design. 
I think a lot is possible if we make the components snappable; Snappable stuff -> power can be transferred by snapping -> NetLink will work with it and make awesome stuff possible.
In theory, you could model a studio desk and the preamp and recorder could be snapped into it and work as well as if they were snapped into beautiful hifi rack model or connected with snappable cables with plugs.

OK. Now I’m animating the amplifier and after that I’ll make a tuner. Then we’ll figure out what racks to make.

A task for me:  Get clarity about sound system architecture and identify requirements for components.

Requirements for "source" device (Tuner, Holotape Deck, Reel-2-Reel, etc):
  * Offer Listening Source provisioning capability (Source Types: Radio Station, Sound File)
  * Control playback instances of sources (placed on speakers):  Play, Pause, Stop, Sync
  * Replace/update playback instances of the source (Next/Prev Track, Radio Station Change)
  * Ability to supply playback options, like "BOOST" option for weak sources (radio)

Requirements for "control" device (Preamp):
 * Listening source selection
 * Playback instances volume control; Mute and balance are realized through volume levels
 * Speaker group ON/OFF control
 * Distribution of selected listening source to active speaker groups
 * Update sinks for volume and listening source selection changes
 * Update sources for listening source selection changes

Requirements for "sink" device (Speakers):

* Selection "L" Speaker, "R" Speaker, "Mono" Speaker
 * Actual placement (in 3d game world) and playback of preamp supplied source at preamp selected volume
 * Apply sound effects

Requirements for "remote" device:

* Control playback on preamp selected listening source (for radio: select radio station or station memory; for file source: prev/next track, play, pause, stop)
* Control volume and mute on preamp

Cross Cutting Concerns:

* Component connection management
 * Component configuration
 * Network support
 *  "Power" ON/OFF functionality
 * Bespoke snapping support

MISSION: Design SAUL protocol (NetLink Frametype 8028) to support all of the above.

* The protocol operates on Layer 3 and will not be routable. Layer 2 bridging is to be supported.
* Devices require electrical power to operate.
* The protocol will convey control and command signals between devices.
* The protocol will not convey digital audio sample data between devices.
* There will be 4 classes of devices: SOURCE, CONTROL, SINK, REMOTE
* Support for distinct SOURCE device types is required: RADIO and DESCRIPTOR
* Protocol must support "Virtual Circuit" so that disruptions to network connectivity may be detected
* There must be a downstream notification mechanism (SOURCE->CONTROL, CONTROL->SINK)
* There must be a upstream query mechanism (SINK->CONTROL, CONTROL->SOURCE)
* There is a need to sync DESCRIPTOR playback from a single SOURCE across multiple SINK devices.
* SOURCE devices must be able to keep track of playback progress
* SINK devices support multiple playback modes: MONO, STEREO_L and STEREO_R.
* A number of SINK devices establish connection to a single CONTROL device.
* A single CONTROL device establishes connection to one or more SOURCE devices.
* A number of REMOTE devices establish connection to a single CONTROL device.

Will likely add more to this.

• Like 1