Torches, Lanterns, and Candles

There's this trick where you drop a torch to the floor of your cellar, or other dark room.  Then you exit the building, make a new save.  Then reload the new save, then go back into the residence.  When you get to where you dropped the torch, it is lit and providing lots of lighting.

When I first heard of this trick, at the time, the thing to do was to set the torches into bowls on the floor at the bottom of walls in rooms, hallways, stairways, etc.  This would light up an entire space.  However, I don't know if this trick works with candles and lanterns that you can pick up.

Thanks to Placeable Statics - Move Anything, the general store merchant sells various furnishings, including candles.  When I place the candles, however, they are not lit.  Lanterns can be placed, but they are unlit when picked up, and there doesn't seem to be a way to light them.

Has anyone figured out a way to light candles and lanterns that have been placed?  I will also ask this question at their mod page.  Hopefully, someone here, or there, will have an answer.

Thanks to Jaxon Positioner, I was able to pace the lit torches up on the walls instead of in bowls on the floors.  Look how well it lights up the corner in the Cellar at Lakewood Manor!  I never knew there was a deer head mounted in that corner before!

ScreenShot35a.thumb.jpg.d342b1249a9ac04b01ef097c5cbecc41.jpg

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

Well, in candle- and lantern-lit scenes, much of the light is often a separate (invisible) lighting object placed on top of the candles/lanterns.  You'll have to place that too if you want the candles lighting the space -- and Jaxonz Positioner has an MCM toggle to make these visible.

Still, no need to there if those torches are doing the job. 🔥

Edited by AaronOfMpls

It's just that I started putting candles out there, but they aren't lit, and that looks... wrong.  Candles should be lit 80% of the time (for every 10 candles, throughout the house, 8 should be lit - in my opinion).

At least for your own, try Lanterns and Candles by Mentilreq?

I believe it allows lit candles. Can't recall if you "light them" after crafting and placement, or they simply place (after crafting) as lit candles.

might want Jaxonz repositioner too, for artistic placement of said candles

dunno about unlit vanilla props though.

• Thanks 1