GECK Modding Dialogue Skill Check Problems

Posted (edited)

I have a lot of free time at the moment and I've decided to spend it learning (or partly learning) the GECK.  Specifically, I wanted to make a mod that provides a peaceful solution to the Ghost Town Gunfight quest by letting you intimidate Joe Cobb into leaving the town.  I've learned how to make a speech check from seeing different dialogue topics in the VFreeformGoodsprings quest, and I've managed to write something very basic.

29957e1525113ef6537fa164cae31d0e.png

a46cc818e7e4f4016dbe2cfa33012e90.png

a4b252aceac435b3a0ff73661f318dc3.png

What I can't seem to figure out is how to write it in a way to make it look like a proper skill check, i.e. the skill check fail has the red box and shows my explosive skill out of 25.  For example, this is what the Easy Pete explosives speech check looks like.

20240517103628-1.jpg

And this is how it looks in my mod.

20240519110101-1.jpg

(to clarify, speech < 25 was just what I wrote as a placeholder instead of writing dialogue)

I can't seem to figure out what I need to do to make the failure option look legit, because it's not too dissimilar from similar skill checks I see in the GECK, such as VFreeformGoodspringsGSTrudyTopic001.  If anyone knows how to mod dialogue and quests, let me know what I'm doing wrong.

Edited by OldheadGaming4K
added [failed] screencap

49 minutes ago, OldheadGaming4K said:

Wow I'm a f*#@ing idiot for not realizing it was set to none.  Thank you.

Not an idiot at all, that piece is very easy to miss. Good job figuring this much out on your own, makes pointing you in the right direction much easier!

Note that this AV/Perk dropdown can be used for skills, SPECIAL, or perks, but there are some instances that you may just need to manually add something in (like NCR rep, for example). Just typing in [NCR Rep] in the Prompt and matching the correct condition will make it look just fine. 

• Like 1