Hi -- Newbie

kyago8

Hi everyone, I've been playing Fallout: New Vegas since 2020, been playing vanilla with some quality of life mods installed (4GB patch, Just Vanilla Sprint, etc...) and I've been intimidated by the modding scene for a while. I finally took the leap and went through the "My First Vault" tutorial series for the GECK. I'm finding some headaches, but hopefully this forum will show to be a great resource.

14 hours ago, kyago8 said:

and I've been intimidated by the modding scene for a while. I finally took the leap and went through the "My First Vault" tutorial series for the GECK. I'm finding some headaches, but hopefully this forum will show to be a great resource.

Hello to you, kyago8. Welcome to the scene. You'll soon discover that the only thing better than playing the game is playing the game that you modded. Sure, there will be headaches... lots of headaches, especially if you do any scripting. But they're worth it when you find the solution and see/play your creation in-game.

I don't play Fallout but there are some knowledgeable folks here who do. Just remember: When you have a problem and come to the forum for assistance, provide as much useful, relevant information as possible and ask good questions.

Cheers...

4 hours ago, UsernameWithA9 said:

I don't play Fallout but there are some knowledgeable folks here who do. Just remember: When you have a problem and come to the forum for assistance, provide as much useful, relevant information as possible and ask good questions.

Thanks for the warm welcome! I can hopefully figure out what qualifies a good question pretty soon, but I'm willing to ask dumb questions if it means I can learn, but feel free to call me out 😄

Welcome! 👋

On 5/22/2024 at 10:22 AM, UsernameWithA9 said:

I don't play Fallout but there are some knowledgeable folks here who do.

Similar story here.  I'm more familiar with Skyrim myself -- been playing and modding it since 2012 -- but I did branch out a little into the other Elder Scrolls RPGs, and I've played through most of Fallout 3 and part of NV. 

But having peeked at the FO3 and NV GECK a little, it's not extremely different from the Skyrim Creation Kit after it, or the Morrowind and Oblivion Construction Sets before it.  Though you'll likely know the GECK's quirks better than I do; I never did get around to actually making mods in it.