I really wish so badly I had other games to play.

6 hours ago, InDarkestNight said:

lso, what could be interfering? Nothing's changed.

Could be other devices on your network; could be devices on your neighbors' networks making extra noise, making it harder to pick out signals from your own; could be a faulty microwave oven running somewhere; or other things that radiate at those same radio frequencies.  Could also just be your modem or router needs a reboot (power it off (via switch or unplugging), wait a few minutes, then power it back up). 

That said, I have thought more than once that maybe I need to buy an actual ethernet cable to minimize interference to my computer. Besides, I hear those give better bandwitch than any wireless connection can.

They do -- and are less prone to interference from other devices.

I use wired ethernet myself on my PC -- via a power line network plugged into the electrical outlets, since it wasn't practical to run an ethernet cable to my room without cutting walls and ceilings open.  (Though using the power lines does mean electrically noisy devices -- like some power tools -- can cause a buzz in my speakers.)

4 hours ago, InDarkestNight said:

f*#@ EA. Why must they destroy everything? Do they hate their customers? They actually make even Bethesda look benign in comparison.

With your troubles, I'd consider either GOG (no DRM, no forced updates), or used CD-ROMs from eBay or thrift stores.  There's bound to be something out there you'll like.

Clearly I'm not allowed to play games, I'm not allowed to listen to music, I'm not allowed to have fun, I'm not allowed to relax

Take a moment to breathe, this too shall pass.  And seek professional help if you need it -- there are places online to find therapists, either for in-person or online visits.  (Just probably avoid BetterHelp, given their scandal-plagued past.)

And if you know of music you _do_ like that makes you feel good, then maybe browse eBay, Amazon, or thrift stores or garage sales for cheap used CDs.  Or find sites with DRM-free .mp3's or .flac files.  And I'm sure there are still bands have their music online to download for free in various places.

• 1 month later...
On 5/27/2024 at 3:57 AM, InDarkestNight said:

Well, decided to give slither.io another chance. Oddly, when I typed in the name, it took me directly to the game rather than search results! Wtf.

That said, yeah, my lag was too bad. Bad as in means stuttering, and I barely had any control over my own worm.

My internet speed caps out around 500 mib, seriously. Lately, its not been wanting to go over 300, and I'm lucky if it gets even that! Most of the time its not even 1 mib, seriously. Its been making using the internet a pain. Given this, can I play any of these io games? I clearly can't play slither.io, annoying as that is. Maybe I should take my laptop to mcdonalds or something and try to play it on that.

edit: Running a test just now, I'm capping at about 3 KiB while the game is running. Fml. Funny story btw, I got the best premium internet in town! Its just not possible to get decent internet speed around here. Does this mean io games are off limits to me?

Most online games requires a higher mbps so you can play without lagging. Have you tried WiFi booster or extender? This can boost your existing WiFi coverage, either wired or wireless. You don't need to replace your current router because it works with any WiFi router https://www.tp-link.com/ph/home-networking/range-extender/tl-wa855re/.