Migration to the new Bannerlord (BUTR) extension

Hey there

Bannerlord support in Vortex has been mostly broken for a couple of years now but @Aragas and the BUTR team have now gotten their Vortex extension to a place where it is now the best way to mod the game.

A few things needed to happen yesterday all at the same time to support this move from the old built-in extension to the new BUTR extension and there were some teething problems with regards to migration. Apologies if anyone has experienced any issues, it is a mix of some niche Vortex-related things with extension updating as well as some bugs in the LauncherManager library that the extension uses to facilitate modding.

Please check out the troubleshooting section below if the migration didn't go smoothly and for any mod installation related issues, the BUTR team is updating regularly when they are raised on the GitHub Issues page of the extension.  

Migration

The BUTR extension is at version 1.0.5 (at time of writing) which supersedes the current 0.4.13 we have deployed to the users and will automatically update, maintaining mods and downloads.

Clicking "Install" will download the new BUTR extension and instate it as the extension to use.

The following dialog will be raised as soon as the user manages the game:

image.png.14fa6caadc4715b3c9dc1ada3b03c927.png

A restart of Vortex will be required for the extension to enable correctly.

Troubleshooting

If a previous version of either extensions is installed in the %APPDATA%/Vortex/plugins folder - the user must go to the Extensions page inside Vortex, remove the extension, and restart Vortex so that the stubbed extension can take over. No loss of data will take place, that all stays between extensions installs. This removal of extension and reinstall can also solve the 'Game is not discovered' dialog.

UPDATE (2024-05-30): This game discovery is fixed (again) in extension version 1.0.6.

image.png.f20a1d6b427f40306f5003341f1f2546.png

Any mod xml issues should now have been corrected with version 1.0.5 of the extension (released 2024-05-29), the previous version of the extension struggled with some poorly packaged mods and raised errors.

image.png.8f307f45efe00ed8e5399a414f934c8b.png

• Like 1

I have followed the instructions on trying to solve the "Game is not discovered" error(deleting the extension from nexus and also deleting the folder manually), also manually updated to 1.0.5 but i'm still getting the same error when trying to manage Bannerlord.

Sorry you are still having problems @MrNewsman

Can you check to make sure the old extension has been disabled if it's not done it itself. In Extensions, click 'Show Bundled' in the toolbar to make sure you are seeing everything. You might see two and one of them is probably the old one, it won't have BUTR in the title and the version will be '0.4.13'. If the old one is there, you can disable it and restart Vortex.

image.png.cb590fef856c85ead75c73b261ee5206.png

If you want to DM me on Discord (insomnious in the Nexus Mods Discord), please do and we can run through it a bit more real time to work out what's gotten confused.

Thanks,

insomnious

Hi. I'm just a clouless user of vortex and now have no idea how to fix "Game is not discovered" error. I pressed "intall" when vortex asked me.

Is there a step by step explanation wht to do?

Does the modded game just keeps working, when I'm doing nothing for now or does it break the game?

What does the change even make better?

Chris