Splitting up Armor... PLEASE!

Phatnaru

I very badly want a mod that splits up armor and clothing that takes up multiple slots. This includes Golden Saint Armor (my main reason for wanting it), Dark Seducer Armor, and robes. I've seen tons of people asking for this, but nobody has done anything about it. Please someone be the modder that fills this empty gap in the Oblivion mod community! *dramatic sob*

Anyway, though, if nobody will get this done, can someone at least tell me if there is a mod that lets you wear "asthetic armor" over "stat armor"?

Do you mean, a mod that changes all the armors and clothing in the game that in vanilla are one-piece? This is technically possible, but the amount of work is huge.

You see, all those armors and robes that occupy multiple slots have one single nif file, that is, one single 3D mesh.

To split them, one has to "physically" split the original nif file into separate new nif files, and that only if the original nif allows it. Because some armors are a "solid mesh" even inside the nif file, so you need to export it to a 3D modelling software, edit them, re-export the resulting pieces, create new separate nifs, edit the armor assets on Oblivion.esm, edit the inventories of all the NPCs that wear the "one-piece" armors...

You get the idea.

I've made this myself for armors (both vanilla and modded) that came one-piece but I wanted them multiple-parts, but not at full-NPCs inventory scale.

I think there are several mods with armors like the Golden Saint that are multiple-part. You could just look for them and check if they're what you're lookin for.

And I don't quite understand what you mean with "wearing aesthetic armor over stat armor". If you mean, cool-looking armors with good stats, there are plenty of mods with them.

Cheers!

Oh, I didn't realize that it was that hard. It must be relatively easy compared to some of the other large scale mods, right? Even if not, though, I'm suprised it hasn't been done. I've looked around and have not found what I was looking for. I'm looking for it to be at full inventory level; taking up the same slots as a normal suit of armor.

What I meant by "asthetic armor" over "stat armor" is that the "stat armor" provides your stats and enchantments, while the "asthetic armor" is what shows on your character model.

There is a mod which allows 'merging' two armor items provided they occupy the exact same combination of slots. One gives the stats and effects, the other the visuals, both are destroyed in the process. The name of it escapes me right now, but if I manage to find it again, I'll shoot you a link here. It's hosted on this site, I know. That's for sure. ...Hmm... Anvil Something... Fashion Anvil?... have to look it up!

edit: Yupp, Fashion Anvil it was! There's even an Example Package of 'visual equipment' from the same author.

As for the other part, you can split up those 'combined-slot items', as I use to tell them, and create 'new' sets of armor from them. In some cases this requires real modeling like through Blender, as IkeCoast already mentioned, in some cases it'll work with NifSkope alone. Then you can put those new sets somewhere into a chest for you to pick them up, or into a vendor's inventory for example.

edit: I remember it already has been done even for 'some' of them, but not for all as far as I know, and not always as a stand-alone package but rather as part of a bigger compilation of custom armor items in custom stores. Hard to track them down, but the resources definitely are out there already. Possibilities for NifSkope mix'n'match-ery aplenty!

But making it so everybody who previously wore a combined-slot item now automagically wears the matching set of seperated items will indeed require an abundance of patches made for every occurance where the Vanilla combined-slot items are used in the game or in mods. But if I got your first request correct, this isn't what you're asking for anyways, as you only want it for yourself to wear in arbitrarily mixed-up combinations, right?

Edited by DrakeTheDragon