Texture "color" different on new triangles of an existing object.

I'm modifying an existing static piece in blender.  I deleted some triangles, added a couple, and applied the same texture as the neighboring triangles.  The color (or shade) isn't the same.

Does somebody has an idea of what is going on, or terms I could google?  Thanks!

If you expand 0 NiNode to see all the objects is the part you added a different object from the original? I'm not sure of object is the correct term. Maybe block is more correct. That's my guess is it's a separate object with it own texturing properties.

nif3.jpg

Then I'd say it must be the UV mapping. The part you added, I'm guessing is the center, has it's own UV map separate from the left and right. The bricks don't line up either. You might have to remove it and create a single new UV map for the whole thing. I've never been able to figure out the UV mapping. I've spent some time with mr_siika's detailed tutorial and still couldn't do it.

You can tweak the UV map with Nifskope. Search for "UV Mapping in Nifskope" and you'll find several tutorials. Lady Nerevar has one on TES Aliance, but all the images are missing which makes it harder to follow, but her process is quite simple.

Another thing to check is the vertex colouring.

Posted (edited)

Thanks @chambcra for the reference to the mr_siika tutorials, they are quite interesting, and I think there is something going on with the paint, since my faces don't have the exact same color.

The UV map is fine, and my unwraping, is "sloppy", but it shouldn't matter.  When it's an armor or clothing, it's important, but for bricks or wood, the pattern will just repeat.

Edited by yojeff

Thanks AndalayBay for the reference to Lady Nerevar. I have it marked. I was thinking vertex colors might get it tweaked close enough too but if it's a single object and a single UV map then I'm not sure.

yojeff can you upload the nif and texture someplace so I could look at it. Maybe I could learn something about how you did this. If I ever got a good UV map made with Blender it would be a good day.

I like this tutorial on geometry.

When I look at the shaded view, the new triangles don't have the same color as the neighbors, but there are no new vertices, so it's difficult to understand what is happening.

Link to the piece.  (Hope it works.)  CastleWall01 is the original, CastleWall01R is the one I modified.

When you say getting a good UV map, do you mean unwrapping?

Have a nice day!

Thanks for the tutorial link. You can't get too many tutorials on blender. I got your piece. At first I thought I have to login or continue with google but there is a button for download without login. Good job finding that place. My terminology may not be correct but yes the unwrapping is what I mean to get the result I call a UV map. I think I see what you are doing. Comparing the original with the UV editor of nifskope you can see some new points and lines. I've never been able to fix anything with the nifskope UV editor but you can move those points and maybe get an idea what is going on. For me it has been helpful just to see what I'm up against. I can see how maybe the color looks lighter because the way it is mapped is sort of stretching out the texture. I see two areas that should look the same and they are a little stretched and upside down too.

castle-Wall.jpg

castle-Wall3.jpg