Texture "color" different on new triangles of an existing object.

And don't forget to check the vertex colours. I don't know where you define them in Blender or 3DS Max, but you can edit them in Nifskope if needed.

So it was the vertex colors.  I has some help at Lover Lab, and they modified the nif to get the different objects (let's say the three bands) with the correct color.  I had trouble understanding at first, because the list of vertices was similar, but then I realized that there are more vertices in the nif than in the blender file.

The old triangles had vertices with color, the triangles I added had vertices without colors.  I have not added vertices in blender.

So the exporting process create vertices, and I don't know where the color comes from.  So it's a bit frustating.

I'll work on the structure a bit, like adding a bump in the middle part instead of having it flat.

Thanks for the help!

• 2 months later...

For vertex colors in Blender 2.49b you edit them in the mode dropdown and choose Vertex Paint.

One thing about Oblivion is that it does not have support for Ambient Occlusion (shadow detail maps basically), which is one of the design holdovers from previous generation of game engines. Back then they used to bake the ambient occlusion/shadows into the texture maps themselves or use vertex shading. You can see a lot of good examples of this in the book "3D Game Textures - Create Professional Game Art Using Photoshop" by Luke Ahearn (1st-3rd editions) which were published around that generation of games.

Oblivion models use a bit of both. If you want to make a vanilla-esque object you have to take that into consideration. It's why a lot of models provided as Modder's Resources on this site often look really out of place in the engine; because they don't have shading details in the color/diffuse texture maps and don't have any vertex coloring to match the vanilla models. To get them or models you make yourself to look correct in the engine you've just got to add those details yourself. 

Also something to note: when exporting between Blender modern and 2.49b versions or from 3DS Max to Blender back and forth using a 3rd party format like .obj you will have your vertex paint data stripped and it will need to be painted back on.

Edited by dreamCloud