How to properly remove (turn off) PortalMarkers on an internal cell?

I need to remove portals and generally Room Markers in various locations, because I broke PreCombines and visual glitches appear because of this. If the locations are not very large, then the drop in performance will be insignificant and I see no point in reworking Precombines.

So far I have found one solution - I delete all PortalMarkers, and then stretch all RoomMarkers over the entire area of the location (across all planes). Having tried it on FensParkviewApartments01 and I did not see any glitches. If the location were more complex, then this method could significantly reduce FPS. In other words, if the FPS suits me, then can I do this way? What else could this affect? I also noticed that RoomMarkers may contain a specified Image Space and Lighting Template, but I can handle that.

Am I understanding correctly that this has nothing to do with NPCs and will not affect their behavior in any way?

Thank you!

0000000000.thumb.png.2eabc08d09e6267f6642481e2aec3c4e.png

Edited by orangedeal

Set the activator box to 0,0,0 and portals and room marker to "initially disabled" or override both of them (better) with a replacer static object which has 0 bounds.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Qrsr said:

Set the activator box to 0,0,0 and portals and room marker to "initially disabled"

Thank you. I don't even understand how I forgot about "Initially disabled". It seems that it worked even without entering zeros in the Bounds field (if I understood everything correctly).

From my research you can disable almost all of the default room marker and portals. Especially with current hardware even with an integrated graphics card (iGPU) you wont notice any difference. If BGs would have disabled all their mists (which is almost totally removed in NukaWorld interios btw), interior cells would have been much more stable already. Precombines and PreVis is also most of the time totally useless and interior cells and hinder modders to decorate the cells.

• Thanks 1

How could one explain that even with "disabling" all RoomMarkers and PortalMarkers, there is still a visual glitch - out of the corner of your eye you can see that workbenchWeaponsA disappears at location BADTFL01?

For RoomMarkers I set Bounds = 1 + Initially Disabled in the fields, and for PortalMarkers in the PortalMarker fields Bounds = 0 + Initially Disabled.

001.thumb.jpg.d97747cc260bade183a8e2c21d16f930.jpg

002.thumb.jpg.937ac0e4703a1ad143e31c2efea320b5.jpg

003.thumb.jpg.fdbe06fd5554069f8fe68ae4592ae630.jpg

Hello orangedeal,

I think that is an issue with bounding sphere setting in the nif itself (it's set to zero, so when the origin is off screen, it disappears), because that problem actually happens everywhere with that asset.  Try this :

1) Load the nif in Nifskope.

2) Click and select the mesh in render panel, and then right click menu -> mesh -> update bounds (my version of nifskope has 2, but the lower one works)

3) Verify the bounding sphere value had been updated in the block details panel.

4) Save.

I haven't tried it in engine myself, but here's an edited nif.  Let me know if it worked.

WorkbenchWeaponsA_BSFix.zip

Posted (edited)
20 hours ago, Qrsr said:

override them with a fake reference of a blanked static object

I also noticed this at the DLC03BeaverCreekLanes01 location, where there are no RoomMarkers and PortalMarkers, but I broke the pre-combines.

20 hours ago, DiodeLadder said:

I think that is an issue with bounding sphere setting in the nif itself (it's set to zero, so when the origin is off screen, it disappears), because that problem actually happens everywhere with that asset.

Thanks for the advice. I've never used Nifskope before, but if I had to, I'd give it a try. And how does this happen in the case of creating this workbench through the creation of objects in the workshop? Everything works there. Also, the workbench does not disappear if I spawn it through the console, but only on external cells. If I do this on the internal cell, it disappears.

If I understand correctly, then your file should be located (it needs to be renamed):
Data\Meshes\Furniture\Workstations\WorkbenchWeapons\WorkbenchWeaponsA.nif

Just in case, I also tried leaving the original name (WorkbenchWeaponsA_BSFix.nif)

The workbench still disappears 😞

Edited by orangedeal