Why are mod authors so hell-bent on burning their own work for?

Its insanely annoying not being able to find the version I need. Patches don't always get updated, sometimes changes are the for worse (looking at you Harpies). Often times they simply aren't available anymore. I've actually thought about making collections out of some of my load order, but honestly half the mods I have aren't available anymore. Notably, I like to use True Storms with Vivid Weathers. There WAS a patch, which I obviously have, but its no longer available. How then can I share my graphics set when I can't link to one of the mods anymore?

Why is it so rare for people to call out this? Its selfish, and stops people from using their mods. How can I run mods when I can't find the version I need? Seriously. Most people playing s#*! edition can't even use the unofficial patch, because they can't find the right version for the version they're running! Besides, why get attached to mods made by people who slash and burn them all the time? This is why I have so many mod authors blocked; they're just not worth the heart break.

Also, I'm saying this as a mod author myself. Granted, what I've uploaded may not be too impressive, but still. Besides, I do have more impressive things, but they're all made with assets I don't own. Besides, I don't imagine too many people would be interested in shovel-ware mods. Besides, the majority of the assets I have turned out to be dangerous. Mihail admitted once he wasn't backporting his new meshes, meaning that all his mods for LE are unusable. I do have a few of the older ones, but not all. Besides, since he won't re-open most of them, could I even get permission from him to use them? Not that project was getting anywhere, granted, but still.

I can't fathom why so many people want to be ass-heads and PURGE people's ability to turn this game into the game of their dreams. They're inhibiting other people's art. They're BARRING people from expressing themselves due to their own mindless selfishness. Making load orders is essentially an art in of itself. You're fundamentally making your own large-scale overhaul, though in a different form. In fact, its common for people to learn to make mods by using them! Its how I did. It started with me peaking inside them with xEdit to find conflicts. Now, less than half my load order is made up of stuff I actually made myself. Of course, they're mostly just leveled list patches, but still. There is though that mod I made replacing some of models form Diverse Dragons with ones from Elemental Dragons. Yeah, the latter mod is unstable, but I always just liked its dragon designs the most. Come to think of it, I wonder if I could make something like Splendor using those models? Most of them are technically models from the vanilla game (minus the 'fat' model).

Why do people do this? I honestly can't fathom it and I'm sick of beating my head against the wall just because MOs are hellbent on screwing users like me over. Its frustrating and infuriating. Why do this? Why why why? I'm not trying to be offensive here, despite what it may look like. I just can't understand.

Edited by InDarkestNight
  • Confused 1

Some of the things you're saying are bad I see as good for the mod author.

For instance, you seem to be accusing some mod authors of being selfish. Good, the best art is made for the artist, not the audience. Art and mods should be selfish. The viewers are just visitors like in a museum, and sometimes art in a museum gets moved to a back room, never to be seen by the visitors again. It's just how things have always been, are and will always be.

Also, people move on. I make things sometimes and then either stop playing the game or stop using assets on which the mod depends (such as CBBE in Fallout 4). From that point forward I cannot support the mod.

Is that selfish? Yes, and I'm glad of it because I do not wish to be a slave to my past. And I do not expect any mod author or artist to be a slave to his or her past.

• Like 4