[SE] Custon Follower Mod Creation Help

Hello!

I want to request some assistance in creating a custom-voiced follower with a new body and face. I have been following a collection of tutorials to get the mod up and running, but I have hit a few snags. I am relatively new to creating mods, so please bear with me.

I'll go over them here. 

My first attempt at the mod was trying to have my mod rely on the mod with the included assets I require, which I will refer to as the "Base mod." Basically making my mod dependent on the base mod. This did not work, however, as every time I would every time I attempted to test the mod in the game, it would immediately crash whenever I entered the cell where the follower was located. Upon further inspection, I noticed that whenever I reopened the Creation kit, the follower's race would default back to "FoxRace." 

So for my second attempt I decided to make an addon to the base mod that gives it a custom framework and voice. This however did not work out as I could not get the mod to apply to the base mod.

For the third and most recent attempt, I tried to import the assets directly into my mod and attempted to get it working that way. This again did not work as I ran into multiple issues. For context, I use SkyrimAE with a downgrade patch to bring it to SE. The mod to export a model's face that the third tutorial I used was defunct in SE and only available in LE. Attempting to use it anyway did not yield good results. The second issue was with the body. Whenever I attempted to show a preview of the model or place it into the world, I would get this error. "MODELS: Bone 'Clitoral1' not found for 'BASE meshes\LeafKeq2\body\femalebody_0.nif'. Reqested by 'Keqing' model 'NPC'." I tried to dig through and find out how to fix this, but I am coming up blank. 

I'm aware I could just use the base mod itself for the custom framework, but as the OP has yet to get back to me, I would like this to be a last resort until I can import my own assets. 

If anyone is willing to help, I would appreciate it. If you have any questions, please let me know.

Load order: 
You really only need the base mod for the assets and then any modding tool you use.

[NSFW] Base mod: https://www.patreon.com/posts/keqing-race-se-67933713

Defunct mod attempts if anyone is curious:
KQ01: https://mega.nz/file/blEB0D5B#djiDA97FNLWfyR5J7rh9loWDXm1nuz4Y1lqZTq9sQYk
KQ02: https://mega.nz/file/b5Vg3Bpb#szBg7QTb6mHX6Qq_GqTfC3DcjlpvY4qHqje47cKvQjI
KQ03: https://mega.nz/file/j8MCyIzD#xTrOQH_-GlTQF74EEkyiy468_Si9MdqEdEEVp3zimCY

Tutorials I used:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oJB7eLcCo0c
https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/articles/1100
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rVPc1FPruhk&t=564s

Why are you using 1.5.97, and what version of CK are you running?  Does it have the CK fixes and proper multiple master support?    

In any case, the race mod as it is is quite limited.   Only a single set of textures, so you only can have purple eyes.   Also, the only hair available via RaceMenu is static white.   The SMP hair on the sample follower is achieved by equipping an SMP wig.   I extended the mod a bit, adding several more selectable eye colors, made the hair tintable and made the SMP version racemenu-selectable.   The mod would do well with a few tintmasks to add color to various face parts and maybe do some makeup, but that takes too long.   Still...

Spoiler

image.thumb.jpeg.be6cdf46253a790af1144bcdfb872b21.jpeg

I am going to have a look at your failed attempts, but I suspect you kept failing at setting the race mod properly as your master file.   Which was why it kept reverting to 'FoxRace'.

I am running game version 1.6.1130 and using CK Platform Extended.

Thank you for your reply

Why are you using 1.5.97, and what version of CK are you running?  Does it have the CK fixes and proper multiple master support?

I am using the current version of CK on Steam, which seems to be the only version available as far as I know. I don't know how to check the version number on steam, but I assume it is above 1.6. I'll attempt to find the version number in a bit. As for why I am using 1.5.97, I had issues with the base mod on AE so I thought that the mod being made for SE would work better there. Though after cracking open the CK it seems to be a constant issues with the hair.

Whenever I try to apply CK Fixes I get the error below. I attempted to apply a downgrade patch, but I got the error in the second image. I eventually gave up and continued with the mod without it. 

Screenshot2024-09-26003120.png.2897a202d1d2b75e99e4d41c359bcfff.png

Screenshot2024-09-26004403.png.45046c02480f1aa19b2409c37ea51ca6.png

You really should go with current version of game, 1.6.1170, and make sure you get latest versions of :
SKSE64
Address Library
RaceMenu
FNIS or Nemesis
XP32 Maximum Skeleton Extended
FSMP
This looks a bit like a scary list, but really, practically any modern Skyrim install will need those.
Get the  Skyrim Special Edition:  Creation Kit from Steam,  run it once by itself, then get and install
Creation Kit Platform Extended

Now, some goodies:  Here is my updated version of Keqing race
Extra eye colors available in Racemenu :  green, grey, red, blue, yellow
In addition to original hair, there are now:  tintable static hair, tintable SMP hair, no hair (bald - more on this later)

Another issue - the race was using a weird version of skeleton which seems like an old version of XP32.   It works ok for 3-breast bone body meshes like 3BA, but will not work with any single breast bone built outfits.   So I changed it to use the default female skeleton, but you must have XP32 skeleton installed.

The race mod is now also made light (ESP-FE)  I also moved its sample follower into a test cell  (coc ctest), cause I figured having a naked Keqing in temple of Kynareth was a little inappropriate 🙂  

I am also attaching a mod created using MY version of LeafKeq2 as master.   It adds a Keqing called Jenny inside Drunken Huntsman in Whiterun. 
Now, the sample follower included in the race mod has static hair, but is assigned an outfit that includes the SMP wig.   That is one way to apply SMP hair to an NPC, but it is not the best, INHO.
In my 'Jenny' mod, Jenny's facegen head is created with no hair (Bald), and the SMP wig is instead incorporated into her naked skin.    Which means she will retain SMP hair even when wearing nothing at all. 

Spoiler

image.thumb.jpeg.16d1ff5ab346ec05003e008d39c4f3a3.jpeg

Keqing_Jenny.7z

• Like 1

2 hours ago, scorrp10 said:

You really should go with current version of game, 1.6.1170, and make sure you get latest versions of...

I appreciate your help! I didn't expect this much, but I appreciate it!

I deleted and reinstalled Skyrim and applied all the recommended mods and plugins, and so far, it seems to be working fine. 

Is there a way to shrink the head? It's massive! lol

On an unrelated note, the 'Jenny' follower's outfit is different from the one in your screenshot. I assume this is just an outfit mod I do not have and will ignore it for now. 

Update on the large head situation. 

I attempted to fix the scale using the race menu and then exported that head, but when I plugged it into Nifskope to examine it, the size did not seem to change. To be honest, I'm a bit stumped on how to fix this.

Yeah, the head is quite big.     In RaceMenu, there is a Body Scales tab, and it has a 'Head' slider that makes the head and hair smaller.    Problem is, those sliders are "applied post-factum" - meaning if the head is exported, the head is its usual size, not reduced.    However, this CAN be adjusted using a script that will essentially apply the equivalent of the Body Scales slider.   The attached file does exactly that - it reduces the head to 0.65 of its original size, and lowers it a bit.   Which seems to give best result:
image.thumb.jpeg.abfe806120ae4bedd252052c5e79afc7.jpeg

However, you can play with it.   Use console command:
set  keqing_head_factor to  X     (X being the desired scaling.  0.65 is the default, good values will probably be between 0.55 and 0.7)

The outfit she wears is 'Fine Clothes', but I have a CBBE Minidresses replacer.

Keqing_Jenny.7z