Vault 88 - NPC have problems with pathfinding

lynx64

Hello. Some time ago I finally tried to build my Vault 88 and found that NPCs have problems with pathfinding and moving to most parts of the Vault. For example, the settlers assigned for guard duty can't travel to the guard posts except one that I placed near the main Vault entrance. Another posts in the other Vault sectors and near the entrances from Univercity point, subway station and near water pump are unreachable for NPCs. Also settlers can't reach their living rooms that are built above the railways and trains. The places that NPCs can reach freely are the cafe that I built just near the atrium entrance and gachigym section near the cafe. Also the settlers assigned to the crop harvesting can freely travel to the crops I've put in the cave where the deathclaw was.

The atrium of my Vault is three wall blocks high, and all the rooms that are on the ground level or 2-3 wall block high are accessible for NPCs. The living rooms are higher than atrium (4 wall blocks high) and NPCs can't access to them.

So I'd like to know what should I do to make all parts of the Vault reachable for the NPCs? What things should I avoid? Do NPCs can't access an areas that are higher than some value?

There is a limit to how far settlers will roam, but there is a mod for it.

Inside the vault main portion, you should have no inherent pathing issues.  But there are s9ome issues with vault parts - some don't play nicely.  IIRC the top atrium doorway has navmesh problems, and some of the down/up stairways need to correct to a straight hallway section rather than straight to a door piece.

I have 50 settlers in my vault 88, and no pathfinding issues, with the exception of the main staircase.  The all like to use that, so it's like a rugby scrum sometimes.

HTH