Uninstalling Skyrim but keeping mods save!?

Noppius

Hey people!

I have to admit that it is my own fault. By trying out different ENB's and mods, i finally got my Skyrim so ******ed up that it came to a grinding halt. Now i'm considering a complete removal and clean install.

I have been reading about how to get a clean version and that should not be a problem, as i usually clean up my pc after i uninstalled a game.

But i want to keep my long list of mods save somewhere. So how do i do that?

I have NMM installed and all my mods are added with that, so i have a complete list. After reading on the forums, i think i have found a way to save me from downloading all the mods again. But i'm not sure that i'm correct so i turn to this wonderfull community.

My idea is that i use NMM to "uninstall" all my mods, so that all the plugins are deactivated.

Then i remove Skyrim with Steam, delete my folders (including in My Games) but keep my hands off NMM.

I think this will make sure that all the mods are still on my pc but there are no trace logs from previous installed mods.

So after i then reinstalled Skyrim, i can just re-activate my mods through NMM and be ready to game again.

Is this right? Thanks for any help

Just delete/uninstall Skyrim and delete the nexus install info folder (mine is D:\Games\Nexus Mod Manager\Skyrim\Install Info), unless I'm mistaken thats what you want?

Edit: You could always use Mod Organizer with your new install, much nicer tool then NMM

Edited by Zillawill

Hey Zillawill,

thanks for the info. If this makes it so that NMM doesn't remember anything about the mods i installed but that they are still available on my pc for installing again after the fresh Skyrim install, then yes, this is the info i wanted (very very long sentence, sorry :blush: )

So again, thanks!

Yes, that is what it should do. You'll have to add them back to NMM manually, but they'll still be there without downloading them again. If you don't want to add them back to NMM manually, you'll need to go through and uninstall each mod using NMM (so they're uninstalled from the game, not removed from NMM). As a side note, I fully support zillawill's suggestion of using Mod Organizer. If you've used mods that much, you're probably ready for something with a little more utility. If you do switch, then in the future, you could re-install skyrim by deleting your skyrim folder, re-downloading through steam, and reinstalling skse. All your other mods would be 100% untouched and still working. But you'd never need to do that again anyway because except for SKSE and a very small number of other mods, your actual skyrim folder would never have anything in it.

Hmm, interesting Xander.

Will have to check this MO out and if i feel confident about it, i could make the change :blush:

Been using NMM for a while now and like the way it works, but always interested in better or "different" utilities.

Just keep in mind that if you have questions about it, it has its own support forum. Posting questions about it here elicits some less-than-happy responses from NMM supporters sometimes lol. NMM does have one major advantage, though: modding. If you create mods, then any mods you're using as dependencies need to be installed with NMM or manually (at least, that's the easiest way I've found of dealing with them). Beyond that, the main difference is that NMM is easier to use, but can't do as much. It's a direct trade off between the two (although, MO isn't that much more difficult, so "direct" trade might not be the best way to phrase it).

• 1 year later...

Hey,

I am switching to NMO and I reinstalled Skyrim to try to get a fresh game. I'm not sure I did it right because steam still lists my achievements. Is my game clean? Also, if I have to reinstall again now that I have NMO up and running, do I have to uninstall SKSE first or can I just reinstall it again over the old one in MO? Also what about FNIS?

Thanks

As I mentioned, there's a support forum specifically for Mod Organizer. Also, to avoid confusion the two programs are MO (Mod Organizer) and NM (Nexus Mod Manager). NMO would be Nexus Mod Organizer, which isn't a program and is a bit confusing.

I'm not sure what you mean by it still lists your achievements. And I'm not sure how achievements are related to whether or not it's installed correctly.

Anyway, MO can be installed after SKSE and FNIS. It doesn't care what's already in the game folder. It just can't manage what's already in there. But tit can't manage those two anyway, so it doesn't matter.