Issues with NPC Neck seams and grey faces everywhere aaaarrrgghh

TonyTurbo78

Hi guys. Everything is performing very nicely now, my game has not crashed after maybe 10 hours play yesterday and getting nice performance using RealVision ENB and 95% of the suggested mods on SkyrimTuners page. But i do have an issue with face textures on both my character and all NPC's. They are either grey in the face, others like the children are incredibly bright and we all have neck seams. This is the most annoying for me as it's the character look which I enjoy the most. I'm using CBBE but not using any face retexture mods like Pretty Face, Bella Women or Coverwomen. I'm using the 3 Better Male files also.

Take a peek at a few screenshots of what I'm talking about. Hopefully you know how I can fix it. I apologise for the breast show but I wanted to show the neck seam on my character.

Neck seam on my chracter

http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7447/12157988444_66dc68af30_b.jpg

Grey face on NPCs

http://farm6.staticflickr.com/5480/12143354496_6c95fac974_c.jpg

Different face contrasts on different character types, (children)

http://farm4.staticflickr.com/3785/12143064874_5b24ef4c30_c.jpg

Necks seams and grey faces everywhere

http://farm4.staticflickr.com/3726/12143301676_1cf8188c44_c.jpg

Can you hlep me please guys, been fiddling for a day now.

First picture, CBBE mod FAQ says to delete femalehead_sk.dds. Try that. If it doesn't work, then there may be an issue with any lighting mods you have, or with the head mesh. The CBBE body/face textures are seamless with the CBBE body and vanilla head meshes (and ECE head meshes).

Grey faces = facegen data hasn't been exported with the CK. Note it may not work if you had encountered the NPCs before adding the mod.

Glowing child - have any mods that affect children? Try checking the mod pages to see if anything is said about them. Can't really think of any other reason.

big thanks Jeir for trying to help

When I start a fresh game, the faces are still grey though, if it was just a case of the mod being loaded after meeting the character, then surely starting a new game with the mods installed would solve this, but it does not.

The only mods that I have that could affect the children are these.

Better males - Beautiful nudes and faces - New hairstyles - Faces - GeonoxFaces

Better males - Beautiful nudes and faces - New hairstyles - Faces - NoMoreBlockyFaces

Better males - Beautiful nudes and faces - New hairstyles - Faces - YoungerFacesMergedWithMenByGeonox

I installed all 3 in this order. Could that be the problem?

Edited by TonyTurbo78

I said generating the facegen data in the CK it may not work if you had already encountered the character. This is because the previous appearance gets 'baked' into the save, and if you install a mod that changes how they look, the info in the save goes 'wtf, mate?' and causes issues. For example, certain female characters in the game use the male animations; new players didn't know this, encountered the NPCs, went to find a 'fix', and the fix doesn't work as the save already has the data in it about the female NPC having the male animations. Skyrim's saves are bad like that.

It could also be BOSS messing things up. For some reason, at least in my load order, BOSS puts mods that change NPC appearances above mods like AFT and EEO, which caused all kinds of problems in my game with how characters look (light head issues, mainly, but it's still something to look at). Every time I run BOSS I have to manually move the 10-ish mods back down into the correct place to fix it.

Those three mods from Better Males do exactly the same thing; installing them in that order just means the last one overwrites the other two. Also, Better Males doesn't affect children; they have their own meshes and textures that are separate from the adult males and females.

Well, if you downloaded a mod that changed all of those NPCs, you can either report the issue to that person so they can fix it, or see if they've already uploaded the facegen data. If you did the changes yourself, then yes, you'll need to open up the .esp in the CK (Creation Kit), with it activated, and select each NPC, and use CTRL+F4 to generate the facegen data.

hmm wish I knew which one it was, I do a couple and then test each time making sure they work. Obviously I didnt get into a position to see an NPC face before, mainly because alot of mods I install are done when im starting a brand new game. I;m unsure which mods I can install after the intro screen because they might break my save.