Newbie mistakes fallout 3 version

orctor

One mistake that I upheld for a long, long time was that I always snatched keys and passwords whenever I stumbled upon them. That way I could no longer attempt to hack or lockpick -possibly missing out on some XP if I did have the required skill level to deal with the lock or terminal. Nowadays -whenever a door is locked and I have both the options of either picking the lock or hacking a terminal to disengage the lock- I try to do both. If I can crack both the terminal -after a successful hacking attempt I do NOT choose the option "Disenage lock"- and pick the lock, I get more XP. If I fail to hack a terminal then I pray I can pick the lock. If I fail that, I have to remember where those passwords and keys were left behind.

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

first time i played it, it took me forever to find out that i could repair weapons myself, always payed for them to get fixed (which makes the game harder early on)

@alehazar: fail to hack a terminal ? how can you fail at that ? if you only have one try left, click on the exit button and start over you get 4 new tries every time, i usually start picking the lock first.

also a small tip for lock picking (since bobbypins are hard to come by when you need em):

always only slightly press a key to pick the lock, so you cause less strain to the bobby pin (that way you get at least 4 tries before you break it) and when you hit the pin for the 3rd time and aren't absolutely sure that the 4th try is gonna be perfect, abort the picking and start again (you don't loose anything if you try again, its still the same lock, so if you know that the correct spot is somewhere to the far left, start on the far left again, cause thats where the right spot will be, I broke so many bobbypins before i figured that one out.

also, is it just me or are easy locks harder than very hard ones ?

i figure very hard ones out faster than i need for easy ones

1.Almost buying game for 360.

2.Almost buying the original game plus the four add on discs even though the game of the year edition is cheaper. Glad I caught myself in time.

3.Trying to choose skills when watching a video on youtube.

4.Not buying the PC GOY edition when I had the chance.

5.Thinking that there would be no good mods.

I don't even have to game yet and I made mistakes.

• 2 weeks later...

Strolled into Megaton Armoury, after barely beating the Mr.Gutsy, I took everything, walked out, and then I realised that Lucas Simms really was keeping an eye on me.

Another time, I found the MIRV, fired it, one of the nukes hit the floor right infront of me... Yeah.

Got into a gunfight around an awful lot of cars.

Didn't know that taking the Teddy Bear would trigger the behemoth.

Didn't put points into science and medicine.

Killed EVERYONE.

Let's see...

-Didn't realize radiation was so.....curable. I avoided all irradiated water even when I needed healing, cause I thought you'd just build it up throughout the game and get progressively worse. Thankfully it didn't last long.

-Waited quite a while before going to disarm the megaton bomb. I figured....ya know....it'd take more than 25 explosive to disarm the thing.

-Waited a long time to get Dogmeat since I figured nonessential companions would be as annoying as they were in Oblivion. Partially true, but followers are a lot better in this game.

-In an effort to slow leveling, always made my followers fight for me. Then I saw a strange dinosaur like creature on the horizon after several levels of me wondering "Strange that I haven't run into a Deathclaw yet". Then I died.

-Had no clue what to do in the hacking minigame. Had to look it up online. Before that, I guessed a lot. I have the steam version, no manual. What was I supposed to do?

-Ran up to the fire ants with my shishkebob. I nearly screamed when you know what happened.

-Took FOREVER for me to realize I could tune into Galaxy News Radio! I thought Enclave Radio was the main music playing station and I just never heard the music. In fact, I thought it was a secret station. When I left the vault I walked up to a car shaped like a rocket and got the "you have found GNR radio signal" message. Then when I left it, I got the message that I had lost it again. Thus, I thought it had something to do with the car. Then the Megaton citizens kept talking about how GNR mysteriously stopped playing (at least, that's what I thought I heard them say) and it just further drilled it into my head that it was a hidden station.

Then I found that I could play it...and that it had music....*sigh*

On my third play through and I still make mistakes.. but my first time was the best:

Cars, who doesn't learn about those the hard way?

Deathclaw encounter very soon after leaving the vault and I have a 10mm. I chose to run up and shoot it.

Minefield, I never looked DOWN. I thought the sniper had explosive bullets... Duh...

Didn't know about button mapping the weapons to the keyboard.

Also the Pipboy light. Caverns and sewers can be real dark.

Thought Pulse Grenades would work well on Mutants and pulse mines would work on Mr. Gutsies.

Grabbed the Teddy Bear from the shopping cart and went for a walk without looking back.

Accidently "stumbled" into Evergreen Mills early in the game with the same 10mm and a beat up assault rifle.

Played through the Main Story without even bothering about Side quests and all the cool stuff you could do. I thought the game was open ended at first, so I kept those other quests for later. Boy was that a Mistake when I died in the Purifier.