Thanks god obsidian dosn't make an other fallout :)

3AMt

Okay, okay. I know what's going on here. Crassius Curio works for Obsidian. That's the only possible explanation. I don't know about you, but I'm okay with that.

EDIT: Let me correct myself: Obsidian works for Crassius, of course.

Rofl, bless his creepy old heart.

• 3 months later...
  • Replies 99
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Fallout 3 like Bethesdas other games doesn't actually have any decisions for the player to make, not any decisions with any meaning, the story and side quests are on rails. Bethesdas games have an illusion of freedom, not actual freedom,

Fallout 3 had no real freedom? Want to be a slaver? You can!

Want to kill all the slavers? You can!

Want to be a law bringing Regulator? You can!

Want to be a paid assassin? You can!

Want to kill the ghouls instead of let them into Tenpenny Tower? You can!

Want to talk to people to make them let the ghouls in? You can!

Want to abandon young Brian Wilkes to a horrible death from ants? You can!

Want to kill the ants? You can!

Want to abandon him to his fate all alone? You can!

Want to find him a home? You can!

Want to blow up Megaton? You can!

Want to save Megaton? You can!

Want to kill all ghouls and super mutants (and incidentally most of the humans) in the wastes with the anti-FEV virus? You can!

Want to spare them all by not using the virus? You can!

It's a game full of choices that have a permanent effect on the face of the Wasteland.

I think they are on a train and can't get off. Who would want to play a fallout game where you live in a neo-modern community and don't have to worry about raiders or survival?

I think they could do both, there could be rebuilt towns and settlements with new buildings, means of production ect, things that show rebuilding and progress, they'd be walled off and beyond the safety of those walls could be the dangers of the wastes. I think small modern towns with the ruins of the old world towering over them in the background would look quite good, the good and bad mankind is capable of side by side.

Ok, this one I agree with completely. Especially if given the chance to help build new settlements/reclaim(rebuild) old ones. The fact that that was something you could do in the SNES Breath of Fire games means there is no excuse for a series about rebuilding in a post-apoc setting to not include it. Especially with the decades of time to improve.

Edited by greenknightfury

Fallout 3 like Bethesdas other games doesn't actually have any decisions for the player to make, not any decisions with any meaning, the story and side quests are on rails. Bethesdas games have an illusion of freedom, not actual freedom,

Fallout 3 had no real freedom? Want to be a slaver? You can!

Want to abandon young Brian Wilkes to a horrible death from ants? You can!

Want to kill the ants? You can!

Want to abandon him to his fate all alone? You can!

Want to find him a home? You can!

Want to blow up Megaton? You can!

Want to save Megaton? You can!

Want to kill all ghouls and super mutants (and incidentally most of the humans) in the wastes with the anti-FEV virus? You can!

Want to spare them all by not using the virus? You can!

It's a game full of choices that have a permanent effect on the face of the Wasteland.

There ARE decisions in Fallout 3, but they're barely meaningful and hardly effect the wasteland. You can blow up Megaton, but if you do that, hardly anyone will care. Especially after you give 100 bottles of water to some hobo. The only person who really cares about Megaton getting blown up is James, and even he just calmly tells you how he's disappointed in you, as if you just had failed a math exam.

Actually, nobody in the Capital Wasteland seems to care about anything. I bet if the Lone Wanderer waddled into Rivet City with a bunch of children following him and he started pouring molten gold down their asses, nobody would care at all. The old guy next door would probably just groan and resume reading a half-burnt book.

There are a lot of choices in Fallout 3. Just not any that really matter in any way.

Edited by DrMobPhD

There ARE decisions in Fallout 3, but they're barely meaningful and hardly effect the wasteland. You can blow up Megaton, but if you do that, hardly anyone will care. Especially after you give 100 bottles of water to some hobo. The only person who really cares about Megaton getting blown up is James, and even he just calmly tells you how he's disappointed in you, as if you just had failed a math exam.

Actually, nobody in the Capital Wasteland seems to care about anything. I bet if the Lone Wanderer waddled into Rivet City with a bunch of children following him and he started pouring molten gold down their asses, nobody would care at all. The old guy next door would probably just groan and resume reading a half-burnt book.

There are a lot of choices in Fallout 3. Just not any that really matter in any way.

I will grant that they didn't handle things well (especially with the Megaton situation, why give that kind of choice and make it barely matter) but the decisions do exist, and you'll find that openly killing anyone in a settlement (or performing a crime openly) will get everyone attacking you, which makes it very difficult if you have decided to do an organic (no reloads to avoid mistakes) story playthrough and get KOS in Rivet City and Megaton.

• 2 weeks later...

About linear main story in Fallout 3 compared to non linear in FNV I really do not see a problem with the 2. Fallout 3 started you on a linear story with Project Purity. FNV started you with find Benny and nothing else. Fallout 3's story was linear up to a point but it was the best way to tell that story. FNV is multiple versions of the same story and is more of a pick your own path story you start off with no allegiance and choose them yourself while Fallout 3 you start off with allegiance to your father. All it is, is 2 ways of telling a story and neither of the two is better than the other. Some prefer more focus and others prefer a lack of focus. Myself I enjoy both games but story wise I prefer Fallout 3 simply because of its focus. As for the amount of factions, I do not think that really improves the games story. It does add more to do in the game and that's good. It fits with FNV's choose your own path style story but wouldn't fit with Fallout 3's.

About the worlds themselves I think Fallout 3 was better put together. LOD's were far better and there was far less badly placed models like a road piece that's hovering above the terrain so you can see through it and the many rocks that are like that. Then you have all the invisible walls that make absolutely no sense having, If they do not want you to get there then make a visible barrier rather than cheat and place a collision box. It was really poorly done in many ways.

• 2 weeks later...

I had to respond to this due to greenknightfury's addition, it saddens me when so few people actually understand the meaningfulness of freedom, and freedom represented within a game. With true freedom comes responsibility and consequence, for without those, it's meaningless.

And you're just a mindless killing machine, devoid of any actually higher-functioning intellect or self-awareness.

My responses are in bold:

Want to be a slaver? You can!

And who comes after you if you do? Is a bounty placed upon your head? Do people react to you negatively? Are you renowned as a slaver? Do civilised settlements refuse to let you in? The answer to these things is either no, or slightly yes, except you can fix it for spamming bottles of water at a homeless guy.

Oh, that guy blew up Megaton. He's a psycho--WONDER! I love that guy, he was giving bottles of water to homeless people, what an absolute Saint of a man!

And is this recognised? Do people reward you? Do the friends and/or families of those enslaved recognise your deeds? Do constables approach you with job offers?

Without actually making an impact, your actions are meaningless, you have as much power as a very young child moving letter blocks around in their bedroom, which is ultimately a fine analogy for any Bethesda game.

And then what? Do you get to rise through the ranks and become more recognised? Are you a feared name? Do you eventually end up running the regulators? Do you see raider tribes forming temporary alliances to take you and yours down?

Your choice to join or not join is meaningless.

And if you are, then what? Do the victims of those close to those you assassinated ever investigate or even notice? Does the law ever get involved to investigate? Are you stopped by a suspicious detective for questioning? Do lone gunman vigilantes ever come after you to make you answer for what you've done?

And do ghoul sympathisers and ghouls themselves think less of you for doing so? Does anyone have an opinion on what you did? Do you find that a ghoul party member you'd otherwise be able to recruit won't join you just because he's heard of the terrible thing you've done? Do people ever talk about how much of a horrible person you are?

Do they ever actually discuss things with the ghouls? Do you ever see friction occurring from letting the ghouls take up residence? Do you see passive-aggressive hate crimes from those that felt pressured into agreeing? Do you see any kind of response from either side at all?

Want to abandon young Brian Wilkes to a horrible death from ants, or save him from those ants? You can!

Sigh. It's desperate of you to try to split it into two so I fixed that. Though, does this ever come up later in the game? Does anyone in the relevant communities actually speak of it? Does anyone have an opinion on it? Is there any impact either way, or is it just quickly forgotten?

Want to abandon him to his fate all alone, or find him alone? You can!

Again, separating these two is just a desperate attempt to pad out the list. Again, does it matter if you leave him alone? Do you overhear people commenting on how nice it was of you to find him a home? Do you hear anyone commenting that they're annoyed that you did because he has an annoying personality? Does ANYONE have ANY opinion at all?

Want to blow up or save Megaton? You can!

Again with the padding.

Aside from Moira becoming a ghoul, are there any repercussions either way? You get a house, regardless; you get a community with shops, regardless; you get a robot butler, regardless. Is there ANY meaningful way in which the destruction of Megaton leaves any impact? No, there isn't. It's quickly forgotten, as is everything in a Bethesda game. You don't lose anything, you don't gain anything, there are no opinions, no repercussions... it just is. That's not freedom for anyone other than someone with a psychopathic murderer with a god complex.

Want to kill all ghouls and super mutants (and incidentally most of the humans) in the wastes with the anti-FEV virus (or not)? You can!

Desperate padding strikes again, so I fixed it.

Any repercussions? Any opinions? Any impact as the result of this? I'm feeling like a parrot, but the point needs to be made. Nothing happens! You do the thing, and nothing happens! You're akin to a very small child playing with toys. A child and their toys is not a representation of freedom.

It's a game full of [completely maeningless] choices that [have absolutely no impact upon] the face of the Wasteland [whatsoever].

Sounds about right!

And there you have it.

Anyone who believes there's any freedom in Fallout 3 is a person who doesn't possess a mature mind and thus has no grasp of the complexities, nuances, and intricacies of the reality surrounding them. For true freedom to exist, there must also always be repercussions, consequences, and impacts.

If there aren't, then any action you take has a net worth of zero. Why? Because you didn't change anything. Change is the most important aspect of freedom, and unless you can actually bring about change, you're not actually free.

The visual design is painfull for the eye. how does such a worldspace go through quality control??? Has there been any quality control at all? I guess not... The grafics are just worse. Gamplay is worse, animations are worse. Whats the problem, everything worked well in the original FO3 and it looks better by default.

Just hope things will look more vibrant again when beth takes over the stick once more. Lets see. Can't wait for FO4 however, 6 years now :sad:

I love both Fallout 3 and New Vegas. But I feel that the Capitol Wasteland captured more of my imagination, probably a bit unfairly because I was completely new to Fallout when I played Fallout 3. However, Fallout 3 still has that unique feel to it that Fallout NV just doesn't. Fallout NV takes place mostly in the Mojave desert, which doesn't quite push the "post apocalypse" feel quite like a leveled DC does.