[WIP] JaySuS Starcraft 2 Terran Marine Armor

jaysus

OK love the armor, but its not matching starcraft marine armor.....

http://www.radi0active.net/unrealite/img/skin/starcraft.jpg

Not trying to be funny, I can see that it does infact look alot like it and you used it as a base :P

Im not trying to be smart, but currently it looks traped between being cool and just being nice.

Either go FULLY starcraft, or add some of your own jazz to it :P

considering the massive ammount of work your already done I would say goput your own jazz into it.

Turn it into an extra heavy version for special force marines :P or some crap :P

rocket pack on a side? :P

Shoulderpads are one of the most vital areas on armors as downward strikes could bring the most force and deflect off the helmet, then came 40k and thats had tons of games and now its all about the shoudlerpadds.

Add this to the fact wide shoulders gives impression of a power, same goes for armor.

an intresting point however.

Moden armor designs currently are looking at a large shoulder pad with thicker armor on the left side of the body to stop bullets since a person who is right handed normaly aims by puting there left side of body towards the enemy, and likely direction of incomming fire.

and we still havnt worked out how to cheaply make full body armor that is light enough to actually be used.

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think the thicker arms will help resolve the issue with the shoulders looking wingy...perhaps they look wingy because of the how it slopes down from the top, perhaps making it more circular the way around? Each shoulder is almost roughly suppose to be about 1/2 to 3/5 the size of the torso in alot of the art I have seen. Shrinking them is still an option but I think the arms had to be redone as they were little bigger than unarmored arms of a FO3 character...so it didnt match the bulk of the armor (the full body picture I have above uses the old really thin arms) The posture helps and I think the new arms will help alot.

SpcSpectre your right.

Tthe starcraft armor uses extended arms(the hands in starcraft armor dont actually have the human hands in them there in the forearm hooked up by servos, along with the fact humans in starcraft are built better then even the hulk and twice as wide as a normal human, so longer/beffier arms should fix it.

OK love the armor, but its not matching starcraft marine armor.....

http://www.radi0active.net/unrealite/img/skin/starcraft.jpg

Not trying to be funny, I can see that it does infact look alot like it and you used it as a base :P

Im not trying to be smart, but currently it looks traped between being cool and just being nice.

Either go FULLY starcraft, or add some of your own jazz to it :P

considering the massive ammount of work your already done I would say goput your own jazz into it.

Turn it into an extra heavy version for special force marines :P or some crap :P

rocket pack on a side? :P

Shoulderpads are one of the most vital areas on armors as downward strikes could bring the most force and deflect off the helmet, then came 40k and thats had tons of games and now its all about the shoudlerpadds.

Add this to the fact wide shoulders gives impression of a power, same goes for armor.

an intresting point however.

Moden armor designs currently are looking at a large shoulder pad with thicker armor on the left side of the body to stop bullets since a person who is right handed normaly aims by puting there left side of body towards the enemy, and likely direction of incomming fire.

and we still havnt worked out how to cheaply make full body armor that is light enough to actually be used.

i see from the pic somebody made a starcraft armor for UT3. got a download to it?

@Phoynix

the big problem we have is getting it to fit the animations and skeleton of fallout. If we could someone use the supermutant skeleton when wearing the power armor that would be great....but the super mutant doesnt have alot of the animations that the normal size skeleton does. We are making the arms beefier, but we cant make them longer. Then it interferes with firing, loading, swinging and everything else.

As for choosing a whether to do the starcraft marine...we are trying but there are ALOT of different variants of it. The key factors in all of them pretty much are the over shape, the largeness of the chest and shoulders and the details such as lights. The forearms design differs greatly....the feet are pretty much the same across the board.

The link you showed is the unreal engine and doesnt use the same skeleton as fallout...we looked at that same model...the arms are almost ape like...which would be close to the SC2 design..but we cant get it to work once again because of the animation and skeleton limitations in fallout3...so what it is right now is basically just trial and error...seeing what it looks like when it is in game and using the animations...

the big question we have is whether or not to allow the shoulder armor to move with the arms....either way you have a clipping problem. If they move then they would clip with holding rifles on the inside part where it connects to the chest...the good thing is that when you hold the rifle you wont see the clipping...but I guess if you care enough...in your mind it will be ther :rolleyes: If we leave the shoulders attached to the chest then you will see the clipping of the upper arms whenever you hold a weapon and look in third person as they pass through them.....So we are just experimenting...if there are any really good animatiors out there who want to try their hand at doing power armor animations now would be a great time and we would be eternally greatful...

well any way thanks for the comments and we will take them into consideration.

I wouldnt worry about clipping to much the default fallout armors have craploads of clipping.

The orginal starcraft marines were rather simple, the best one is of course the one from the intro for the SC2 cinmatic and its shoulders are proberly the best from a nonclip perspective, there actually held away from the body by a fair ammount.

Well....what would the concensus be? Keep the shoulders glued to the torso so the shoulders dont move...or attach the shoulder armor to the upper arms?

I would like to see the shoulders attached to the upper arms..

other opinions please?

The wing effect also stems from the fact possibly because no matter what the arms do....the shoulders stick out like wings instead of moving up, down, foward and back with the arms?

looking at pictures actually half the problem is the shoulders come out to far.

http://starcraft2.com/art.xml?s=28

http://starcraft2.com/art.xml?s=27

the shoulders are big and they are held away from the shoulder but they slope downwards not outwards as in this model.

also from the pics the shoulders are almost as wide as the armor which by making them longer that way should help remove the wing effect.

Ok, will see what can be done to get rid of the gradual slope outwards and just have it go steeper downward.

http://i673.photobucket.com/albums/vv100/SpektralRecon/ss682.jpg

like that one which I found to be a pretty good reference as it is straight foward without having an arm or weapon infront of the chest.