Creating Custom Companion Mods?

Guest Messenjah

Guest Messenjah

Ok, when I'm done with my current mod and I start quest building... I'm looking at adding a very important character. A companion.

Anyway, I would like to do some really unique things since I've designed this mod around creating a background and quests for this character as apposed to... hi, how you doin... wanna be my slave and shoot stuff for me cuz' I'm lazy. I want to create a character with some amount of depth.

One of the things I would like to do... is create separate inventories that each have a weight limit, each one is tied to scripts that will equip items from that sub-inventory under specific triggers or conditions. For instance, you have a formal wear, swim wear, armor, and casual inventory. If she is swimming, she will equip a bikini, otherwise she will stick to casual. If she is inside Tenpenny tower, she will equip a formal dress ecs...

Anyway, I remember that someone posted a tutorial on creating companions a while back on here and I was wondering if I could get a link to that tutorial?

I'm also wondering how possible setting up different inventories with separate weight limits is?

Here you go: http://www.finhosting.fi/~fallout/cgi-bin/...B.pl?board=ar13

Tutorials are stickied at the top.

As for your inventory thing, yeah it's possible, not too difficult either. Basically you'd just use YournpcREF.enqip/remove/add/equip to remove and add the different items and have them equipped. Best thing I can suggest is you go and download the Jessi companion from the Nexus downloads section, she does what you're after via menus where you can decide what to have her wear, just open up the .esps and have a look through her dialogue options for ideas how to do it. Automatically switching clothes at set points like entering water shouldn't be too difficult either, but if you get stuck just post here (Cipscis' thread would be a good place for quick scripting questions) and someone will probably be able to give you some pointers.

Guest Messenjah

Yeah, I know you can use the add/remove scripts... it's how to set the NPC's conditions so that it can see if they are swimming and setting the weights that's difficult.

I've used the Kelsey companion for some time now but she feels too mechanical and too much like a tool rather than a character to me. Mind you, the extra dialogue was ok when she was walking around and the dialogue that is there is ok but I'm looking for something a bit more... interesting and useful for the game. A character or companion should be a storytelling device... not a utility or a tool, even though the latter is good as well if it is well done.

The dialogue side of Kelsey was cool. The customization was ok but I felt like too much focus was placed on it. I find myself constantly digging around in the menu for the options I'm looking for. If I want to customize a companion, I'll do that in the GECK, I don't really want to do it while in the game as it kills the illusion and atmosphere of being a part of the Fallout world.

The idea here, is that I'm cutting out a lot of menus and letting the NPC's own scripts to do a lot of this for you. You select to change her inventory (I may even consider a system where you can change her inventory, via a wardrobe closet), then use uses events to determine when she is wearing these clothing items and will select to wear items from the defined inventory, thus why I want multiple weighted inventories. The reason I want it weighted, is so that the player won't attempt to cheat by placing massive amounts of gear inside each inventory. I may also have her change her hair style through this system as well. So, what she wears and how she styles her hair and what she is using for weapons really depends on what she is doing at the time. :)

I also don't really want to have options to really change how brave she is. :) Maybe a simple toggle that uses full hearty and cautious.

Dialogue will be VERY important however. I want to have something set up a bit like Boiware's KOTOR companions where they have a background story and some kind of player related quests and events but the player has to build their trust first. They will also occasionally comment in on important events and add some notes that help explain the story a bit better. :) So, I could use them to relate some of the important events from Fallout 1-2 to some of the important events in Fallout 3 so that people that aren't familiar won't have to go out to the wiki to find out these facts. :) Basically, just important stuff such as enclave and super mutant background stories, and maybe a bit more about the FEV virus. :)

I also plan a possible romance as well, but it has to be unlocked under certain circumstances. :)