Bows & Arrows into the Wasteland.

battyman9

I could see bows and arrows being more effective if they were poisoned. The initial hit does good damage, but it adds more following. Pretty much like the dartgun but with the strength of a good weapon. I can definitely see the animation is the major problem, its not possible to "port" the animation from Oblivion or something?

Nope, it's illegal due to copyright issues.

I wish it were possible.

Honestly, the bow has the POTENTIAL to be a very effective weapon. However it has two drawbacks:

1) The amount of training necessary to make it effective.

2) How bulky the ammo is, compared to modern bullets.

could find a modified dart gun its a crossbow but only does like 1 dmg but cripples the enemy theres probably a mod somewhere that increases its dmg but if anyone made a crossbow they could use its animation and holding positions and everything would just need a texture and mesh i havent gotten into texturing and meshing yet so i cant help but theres an idea for the weapon

• 9 months later...
Its not the animation itself that is the problem but the way of making the animations work and play. You cant add new animations without overwriting preexisting ones. There's a way to play special idle animations via FOSE and a ton of scripting but its buggy and i think it only works for reloads. If you want to do the animations you'll need a full set of animations 1st person and 3rd person (including movement) you would have to create then script to work. Its a lot of work for a small gain that might not work. That's most likely why it hasn't been implemented as I've seen many of these requests...

The poor would use bows, the rich would buy ammo from people like the gunrunners, who found the dilapidated tools of the arms trade and sold what they made. Smokeless powder is just bassed off nitrate componds and a few others, if they can make AK47 in the Khyber pass with hammers and water troughs for cattle then if there's a living in it some smart male without a father will start making ammo, not of universally high quality and not as fast as an arms factory. But you'd be king of the wastes if you could make your own ammo, look at Ashur, from BoS MIA to self-proclaimed Lord of the Pitt and master of a Raider army in less than 30 years all because he found the gear to make a few simple bullets...

Anyone who could do them well would become like a swordsmith of old, they'd be immensely valued and revered, every village would have to have one and any sizeable settlement would have to have several. The art of ammunition building would be like the crafting of a fine oriental sword, precious knowledge. After 200 years though someone would find a working machine lathe, which could make brass cartridges easily, the propellant would be more difficult, a mix of Brahmin dung extracts, chemicals from pre-war goods or dug from the ground. Primers would be a female dog but you only need a little for each round. Bullets themselves are simple. A Lead or steel slug in a soft copper shell. Ammo would be more expensive, a simple 5.56mm Assault rifle round running to a few caps (5 or 6), a Precision sniper round to 10 or 20 easily. Missiles... Missiles would cost easily a few hundred apiece, a loaded RPG would be a status symbol, reserved for raider chiefs and village elders (like in Afghanistan where having a stinger really makes you somebody). Combat and Power armour would be rare, oh so rare. Combat armour less so, as there must have been several million US soldiers, most witin the US mainland at the time of the war, 90% of whom would have combat armour (Standard battledress and all), so even if the majority were erased in the nuclear blasts that'd leave a few hundred thousand at least. With many more surviving as tattered shreds of kevlar and chnks of plate to be integrated into homemade gear. Power Armour was valuable, very much so, the facilities housing it would've been sunk deep, then claimed by the BoS or Enclave. It'd be a rare sight outside their hands, with few working suits and even fewer in use. Brotherhood and Enclave owned pre-war stocks of ammo probably number in the millions, with much more raw material and knowledge of how to produce them. As ever, as with everything, ammo would only be expensive for those who truly need it.

But war... War Never Changes.

There'd still be bullets for those willing to pay out for them, or those capable of taking them.