Help low FPS!

Denizen

I downloaded fallout off steam, it was running fine with minimal stutter until I had to use the backup to restore it. Now I get between 20 and 30 frames per second even with the graphics turned low. I tried changing the FPSClamp but get slow motion unless I set it to 20, with it off I get loads of stutter too :( Sound is fine.

I'm running a HP Pavilion dv7 with:

Intel Core 2 duo @ 2.4GHz

ATI Radeon HD Mobility 4875

4 GHz RAM

Windows Vista Home Premium x64

My window Experience index is:

Processor: 5.3

Memory: 5.9

Graphics: 4.6

Gaming Graphics: 5.0

Primary Hard Disk: 5.5

Is there any reason my FPS is so low or is there a way to increase it?

Its not your hardware. A duo with a 4000 series mobility card is more than enough to run F3 flawlessly. So that being said, Im not familiar with Steam as i refuse to use it, but they may possibly offer online file backups or in this case downloads for users in your situation. I imagine the problem lies within corrupt/incomplete files lost in the backup transfer. Do some research and see if you can download the files again via your Steam account. Thats the best advice can give.

Hope this helps.

I downloaded fallout off steam, it was running fine with minimal stutter until I had to use the backup to restore it. Now I get between 20 and 30 frames per second even with the graphics turned low. I tried changing the FPSClamp but get slow motion unless I set it to 20, with it off I get loads of stutter too :( Sound is fine.

4 GHz RAM

Laptops aren't meant for games. They dont have the means to run off of enouh power required to produce the graphics that a tower can produce. I bet the power transfers are two 2 amp gold transfers connecting the onboard video card to the motherboard. Graphics comes down to power. Its basic electiricity dude.

Try lowering the setting so that equipment is not running beyond its capabilites. :thumbsup:

When it comes to laptops, they are just not meant to run games.

4 GHz RAM

Laptops aren't meant for games. They dont have the means to run off of enouh power required to produce the graphics that a tower can produce. I bet the power transfers are two 2 amp gold transfers connecting the onboard video card to the motherboard. Graphics comes down to power. Its basic electiricity dude.

Try lowering the setting so that equipment is not running beyond its capabilites. :thumbsup:

When it comes to laptops, they are just not meant to run games.

Alienware laptops would like to have a word with you.

http://www.alienware.com/products/notebook-computers.aspx

Thanks for the help. I know what you're saying about the power but before I had to reinstall the game it was fine, but now I have low FPS and extreme micro stutter, and changing the graphics setting does'nt change anything, I've tried setting all to low and reducing the resolution with no change in FPS and stutter. Might try redownloading the game again.

My $600 HP dv5 would also like a word with you. (Yeah, I was shocked too when it ran. And ran WELL)

Might try redownloading the game again.

Probably a good bet.

hmmm laptop cant run game ha........ you just need to buy a GOOD one not some 399$ one.....

i have a laptop my fallout runs just fine on high setting , farcay 2 as well :P

HP and alienware make the best ones :)

My laptop cost £900 it's pretty slick I think the steam backup system just ruined it for me.

I compared some manual backups that I made of the bsa files with the backups that steam made and all the steam ones were smaller indicating missing files, this might have been part of the problem.

I haven't redownloaded the game my last download bill was £20 so I need to give it a small rest for a while, but after that hopefully everyting will be fine.

I can run Stalker Clear Sky and Bioshock on full settings without stutter its just Fallout being gay :( Tis a shame as it's the best game I've got and it has got so many problems grrr

has steam still got that little program in it, that defags / sorts out all your game files and folders? if it has use that ....

it may help its a bit like windows defag

has steam still got that little program in it, that defags / sorts out all your game files and folders? if it has use that ....

it may help its a bit like windows defag

I'm not sure, where would I find it if steam still had it?