Patch 1.6 problems

BadPenney

I've just updated my copy of Fallout 3 with the 1.6 patch and I've spotted some very obvious problems with my mod. The last time that I updated was in February or March, so I think that I may have been using Patch 1.4 up to now. I don't see any indicators on the Load screens to tell for sure what version is running. I'm also using the Fake Patch.

The problem that chaps me the most is that every tree that I've moved to clear space for my town has tree LOD textures back in its original location, many of them floating in mid-air. I've tried the Update Distant LOD Data function in the GECK and generating tree LODs but to no avail. Can anyone point me to a solution to this?

I also see that all NPCs have white bodies now, except for one custom race character I have that is directed to a Type V body and textures. That issue may not affect people who are using body replacer mods, I'm not sure, but vanilla chars are skewed.

It's the LOD thing that really takes the biscuit though. I can't foresee releasing a mod with trees sticking through houses and hanging in air, at least for people running the newest patch.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Perhaps removing the fake patch might help.

I did try that, and then loaded a savegame from before I had either it or my mod running. No difference.

I found out how to tell what version of FO3 you have running. It's in the properties description of the file. Must have been a bit longer since I patched Fallout than I thought. The only other patchfile I had in my data directory was Fallout3_v1.1.0.35. I'm thinking about re-installing and removing 1.6. I thought it was supposed to be better than 1.5. Apparently that just means that it has a different set of problems.

The newest version of the GECK needs FOSE? I thought that FOSE was not related to Bethesda Softworks.

I don't use FOSE. Not that I have heard anything bad about it, but I haven't wanted to create a mod that couldn't be used by anyone without it.

What I don't understand is why I can't seem to update LOD for objects in my mod. I noticed that even before this tree thing. I once got an error message about mismatched TGA files related to LODs. I can't find any TGA files listed in the FO3 .bsa files. Am I missing something?

Why is it that some objects in the world have checkboxes for LOD and high priority LOD, while other objects have those boxes greyed out and unusable?

In order to use FOSE with GECK 1.5, you have to use the latest FOSE.

Oh, gotcha.

I googled Update Distant LOD Data and got hits from Oblivion but not Fallout 3. When I select that function in the GECK,, nothing seems to happen. I'm curious if anyone has been able to successfully use this function in the GECK? It's difficult to search for topics on this because LOD is too short for the search function to accept.