Placeatme lights and timers

mazakala

In my campfire mod, Mazas portable campfires, I have an item which when on the ground and activated spawns a carryable light object which looks like a campfire, no problem there. When activated the campfire has a menu that lets you put it out (disable + markfordelete) No problem there either. Then someone requested a third option to let the fire burn out in 12 hours, no big deal right? The problem is I can't seem to make a working 12 h timer. I've done many timers in the past, in fact the fire already has another timer for the crackling campfire sound.

I made a timer which used gamedayspassed and gamehour, but when it should've ran out nothing happened. Then I made one which used only gamedayspassed but that didn't work either, I even tried to make one that counted the seconds... No luck.

I don't have the scripts anymore, so I'm just asking for an example script for a 12 hour timer.

I know that the blocks ran just fine, but the countdown never finished. If there's something which makes longer timers impossible for lights created with placeatme please enlighten me :D

There's nothing to prevent references created via PlaceAtMe from running timers. Here is an example of a timer that uses GameDaysPassed to delay an event by 12 in-game hours:

float fEndTime

Begin GameMode

; Initialise the timer with a "set" command like this
if <Initialise Timer>
	set fEndTime to GameDaysPassed + 1 ; 1 day in the future
endif

; GameDaysPassed counts up by itself, so just use a condition like this for your timer
if GameDaysPassed > fEndTime
	; Time up - 1 day in-game has passed since the timer was initialised
endif

End

Let me know if you have any questions about using a GameDaysPassed timer (or any other type of timer).

Cipscis

There's nothing to prevent references created via PlaceAtMe from running timers. Here is an example of a timer that uses GameDaysPassed to delay an event by 12 in-game hours:

My script looked quite similar... I'll attempt to reconstruct it from what I remember:

scn mzcftestscript

float stoptime
short timeractive

begin onactivate
showmessage mzcampfireactivateMSG;shows the menu
end

begin gamemode
if getbuttonpressed == 0
;removes the campfire 
disable
markfordelete
elseif getbuttonpressed == 1
; activates the timer
set timeractive to 1 
set stoptime to gamedayspassed + 0.5 ;12 hours forward in time 
elseif getbuttonpressed == 2
; do nothing
endif
end

begin gamemode
if timeractive == 1 && stoptime < gamedayspassed
disable
markfordelete
endif
end

Complications of using multiple gamemode blocks maybe? haven't had problems with that in the past... I'm clueless. :(