Dawnguard main quest problem, any advice?

mcchuggernaut

Hello, and thanks for taking the time to read. I'll make this short as I can:

The Dawnguard quest isn't continuing for me after I refuse Harkon's gift of becoming a vampire lord. I have uninstalled all mods, gone back to a few earlier saves, and tried to start the Dawnguard quest with the console using "setstage DLC1HunterBaseIntro 20" which is supposed to force the "New Order" set of quests to begin. Only for me it doesn't, and the vampire attack on castle Dawnguard never happens and I don't get any quest updates.

I am using the Skyrim Legendary Edition version of the game, could this be why? Are the quest stages possibly named differently? I also tried installing the "Unofficial Dawnguard Patch" from the nexus hoping it would fix the problem. No such luck. My load order begins with Dawnguard, so the "dlc01" designation should be correct, but I have searched the interwebs for hours with no success. Anyone have any ideas?

What does your quest log say? Do you get teleported outside? You should have both the unofficial skyrim and unofficial dawnguard patches, and install them on a save before visiting the castle.

Thanks for asking! The quest log says "Bloodline" is completed, and I get teleported outside by the boat. The New Order quest doesn't begin/show up at all in my quest list. I have tried simply returning to fort Dawnguard and talking to the leader. No success. I didn't have the unofficial Skyrim patch installed, so I'll give that a try.

Edit: I think I inadvertently found the problem: Meridia's quest. It seems to "break" something with the main quest when you defeat Malkoran and then Meridia teleports you out of the temple. If Serana is following you when this happens, you get some quirky stuff going on like her being stuck in the temple. She's right back with you after you get a loading screen in another area, but she never seems quite right afterwards. I loaded up a save from before I entered Meridia's temple, and went back to the castle. Bam. Fixed. No more quest line breaking. I did this with my original mod configuration to test if it was something I was doing, and it still worked just fine.

So for anyone else reading this, stay the hell away from Meridia's quest when you have Serana following you during the Dawnguard quests. In fact, don't take any followers in that temple at all. Apparently (from my internet readings) that teleport out of the temple can screw up a lot of follower-quest-related stuff. And to be even safer, after waking up Serana go directly to castle Volkihar. Do not do any other quests. Do not pass go. Do not collect $200. It is not fun to do the whole beginning of the Dawnguard quest over and over if you get stuck. Those other quests can wait. Trust me, they aren't worth the potential trouble.

Edited by mcchuggernaut