Armor Skill bugged/Not leveling up

Vudou

o.O Well despite all that other stuff between you two.......... I did end up deleting out a couple mods with a lot of UDR errors. There were old anyway and not important. Though I still don't know what to do with the DLC's.

Like I said, just clean the DLCs and the update esm's. It won't fix your armour skill issue but it's just good 'load order maintenance.' You should go find a mammoth and get knocked around a bit to see if your armour skill improves.

Incidentally, do you remember ever using any console commands to adjust armour skills?

Well I don't know what it is. Light armour, heavy armour, and block doesn't level up at all. I had five or more guards hitting me for about 20 minutes with light armour and another with heavy armour. Then I added a shield. Yes, I sat there eating and watching them. I tried different armour and shields... nothing. /sigh. It's becoming a "meh whatever" to me now.

Ooh and no, I didn't use any console commands.

I did however notice my light armour skill go up once while I was brawling. It went up on it's own without Synergy. Go figure. :/

Do you use the unofficial patches? Because I don't and am wondering if I should. I never used them because all of the bugs or issues that's listed that the game has or had and is now fixed in those patches... there are very few of those I had problems with. Most of them don't apply to me, or my game anyway, and never have through every play through I've done.

Edited by Baibaihe

Not knowing anything of your mod install/removal history or whatever happened to your savegame during your playthrough, it's kind of hard to say. I don't see anything in your modlist which would cause this that I know of. Try it on a new game - if you level armor skills normally in that, something got borked by installing/removing mods or skyrim being skyrim.

Removing mods - especially scripted ones - can bork your savegame.

If you don't want to go through the whole intro sequence (personally if I see that cart one more time I will scream) consider installing Live Another Life by Arthmoor, or just console out into the world from the startup screen and run around killing things.

As for your other question, I can't recommend using the unofficial patches enough, but I wouldn't install them on an in-progress game, I think.

Not knowing anything of your mod install/removal history or whatever happened to your savegame during your playthrough, it's kind of hard to say. I don't see anything in your modlist which would cause this that I know of. Try it on a new game - if you level armor skills normally in that, something got borked by installing/removing mods or skyrim being skyrim.

Removing mods - especially scripted ones - can bork your savegame.

If you don't want to go through the whole intro sequence (personally if I see that cart one more time I will scream) consider installing Live Another Life by Arthmoor, or just console out into the world from the startup screen and run around killing things.

As for your other question, I can't recommend using the unofficial patches enough, but I wouldn't install them on an in-progress game, I think.

It was a new game. I noticed while playing that new game my heavy and light armour and block wouldn't level up.

I do know about installing and uninstalling mods and how they can break mid games. I've been messing around with mods for Skyrim and the CK for a year and I'm not one to uninstall heavy scripted mods mid game. I tired it before just to see/test if it would be okay... some games where fine, some games broke. I just stay away from doing such a thing.

I don't mind the intro scene. Sometimes I walk away to get some water or something anyway lol.

I'm not that far into this new game because I've been spending my time trying to figure out this non-leveling armour/block problem. Maybe I will start another game (again) and add the unofficial patches.

I didn't see the Skyrim Community Uncapper in your BOSS log SKSE information, so unless you didn't paste the complete SKSE information, I am going to assume you are not using it and have never used it for your current playthrough (because that would have been the most likely reason why a number of skills have stopped leveling or are leveling very slowly).

There is a GMST that controls the rate of experience gain for armour skills (which is based on the amount of damage you receive). Unfortunately, I have completely forgotten what it is. This is the more 'difficulty way' I mentioned earlier of trying to track down your issue. Load all of your plugin in TES5Edit, click to expand skyrim.esm, then look for 'Game Setting.' Expand that, and see if any mods in your load order modifies any of those values (modified values will be highlighted with colour). Look specifically for any values with the words 'armor' in it. Some mods modify values for armour ratings, scaling, and even skill gain, so it's very likely they could be 'malfunctioning' or their edits have been overriden by a conflicting mod which prevents them from working properly (and thus, causing weird things, like this). In fact, come to think of it...

ACE BYOG.esp

I don't use ACE, or BYOG. Is that a compatibility patch to bridge the two mods, which requires the base files for both mods, or a merged plugin containing changes from both mods? I'd poke around that one if I were you. Maybe uninstall it first and see if it fixes the problem.

Edited by ripple

Ace and Ace BYOG are separate mods that don't need to be used together.

Looks like one of the optional files might be the problem from High Level Enemies:

Optional Files

• Includes an optional file that increases difficulty at all levels.
  • Includes an optional file that increases armor cap to 90% and max magic resist to 90% encouraging high-level play.
  • Includes an optional file that scales Illusion, Raise Dead, Summons, Turn Undead Spells and Werewolf Howl so they are still viable in high-level play.

Mod can be found here: http://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/27866/?

I found this:

http://i61.tinypic.com/2amgy9.jpg

Edited by Baibaihe

farmorscalingfactor is the percentage of damage each armour point blocks, and further capped by the fmaxarmorrating, which is the maximum percentage of damage that can be blocked regardless of how high your character's armor rating is, but they don't affect the rate of skill gain.

The most likely culprit right now is BYOG , since BYOG apparently does allow user adjustments to the rate of skill gain for some skills. Try uninstalling BYOG, then starting a new game, so you can test and see if that fixes the armour skill gain issue.

Still doesn't seem to be leveling. I'm at a loss here now. Only thing I can think of is to go through each mod one by one... I'm really not willing to do that lol. I think I'll just play as is. I've had zero crashes in this new game I started about 5 hours ago so far. I guess after taking out some mods and cleaning the rest of them with TES5Edit helped a lot. I usually crash once escaping from Helgan. I did not however, put in the Unofficial Patches. Well, I did, but when I did I couldn't even get past the intro carriage ride without it crashing. So I took them out and started a new game... again. And this is the one without crashing so far. Okay I'm going off topic.

I'll still fiddle around with it a bit and try to figure it out the armour and block problem, but I don't think I'll be spending as much time on it. At least up until it starts annoying me again. XD.

Btw, I still hate Ulfric's Thanes. <3

Oh, I just thought of something we never covered.

Can you raise your amour skills via trainers? Is this issue affecting all methods of armour skill gain or just normal gain via getting bashed around in combat?

You should install the unofficial patches. If you CTD with those patches, it's not because of them, but more likely a symptom of a mod in your load order that is not playing well with them (and such a mod would be more likely to be at fault than the unofficial patches...).

Edited by ripple