List of recommended patches

BadPenney

So I'm getting my mod ready for upload and trying to prepare it for the cold, cruel world away from home.

I updated my game to patch 1.6, found some new problems that I've dealt with. Then I patched my GECK to 1.5 and noticed that my NPCs who use default FO3 voices would no longer speak the custom lines of dialogue I made for them. Reading the notes for the GECK upgrade I saw that some "improvements" to dialogue handling had been included. Uh oh. Applying the FakePatch 1.5 seems to have returned their custom dialogue.

So now I am wondering what is the recommended group of official and unofficial patches that I should list in my readme and mod description page for users to have loaded on their computers in order to optimize the reliability and performance of their copy of my mod when they play it.

Right now, I only am using the FakePatch. Are there other user created patches available that make mods more stable without causing conflicts between the patches?

i finally took the plunge and patched.

Before i say which i did, let me first say, im REALLY picky about what i put in my game. I got super paranoid after the vanilla Fo3 naziware DRM screwed up my whole computer before.

I own a 100% legit copy of Fallout3 collectors edition (LUNCHBOX!), however i was fuming at how stupid Securom DRM kept screwing it up and blocking me for no reason whenever i tried to patch to earlier versions.... sooo.. i just DL'd a h@xed version of the game. I own the real thing anyways, and Securom prevents you from backing up an archival copy so you dont ruin your dvd... so i said, screw you Securom, and now i run it off my iso that is permanently inserted into my emulated drive =P No more booting off a disc =P

errr yeah, unnecessarily long rants ftw :)

So i finally decided id cave in and get a patch, hopefully it would stop some of the crashes or whatnot.

I got Official Patch 1.6 and it works ok.

Mods unaffected so far, and some of my mods place things in exterior wilderness cells.

I also have the Unofficial Fallout3 Patch, just for good luck.

I dont play enough really to get the advantages of any of the patches, im really just looking for added stability as well as compatability with DLCs and mods requiring FOSE etc.

I also got the Fallout Mod Manager (FOMM). It recognizes my installation of FOSE and boots Fallout3 thru Fose right from its own GUI.

As mentioned, I also have FOSE to support some of the more complex mods.

Dont forget to Patch your GECK too with the latest version!

Also, if you use FOSE, make sure you are booting the Geck Through the FOSE launcher, by editing your GECK shortcut to use 'fose_loader.exe' -editor

Skree, would the last part, about FOSE and GECK, prevent Geck from crashing down onto me when I try to check out animations lists/face thingies and such?

i dono Mekii, it might. You should get the latest GECK, since they patched and upgraded it, try it there. if that doesnt still work, try Fose. But make sure you are loading the Geck thru fose_loader.exe "fose_loader.exe" -editor in your shortcut to Geck instead of geck.exe

• 2 weeks later...
I totally understand the paranoia of patching and adding new content to games when they may serverly screw things up, but as of now im runnin the 1.7patch + FOSE1 1.9 beta + FOMM + FO3Edit/Masterupdate + 70 or so mods + all DLC's and it's running uber smooth with barely any lag or CTD's. Hell, 1.7 even seemed to fix the crash on exit bug for me =D