$1500 Self-built PC - need advice

Lol 13.000$, no maybe 1200$ :thumbsup: they are quite cheap the Phenoms as you can see at newegg.ca they can go as far as 250$, compared to anything that intel brings out, like a dual core can go around 1.000$ wich is highway robbery i think. I probably in the long run spent 15.000$ but just the memmory, cpu and motherboard only cost me 525$ max.

right now its not on sale, but you can at times get it at a really good price.

http://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product.aspx?...N82E16819103692

my model

http://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product.aspx?...N82E16819103675the

one thing about amd that i like is that they keep the socket ranges the same for each processor, i can upgrade to the latest phenom at anytime :biggrin:

Thx for all the replies. I haven't been able to reply recently cause my job is in a location with no internet and I live there 5 days a week (State Park Ranger), jobs finished now for the summer, so I'll have internet from now on.

Here's what I've got so far, I've done a bit of modifying to the design.

-The Case- love the handle

-The Motherboard

-The Video Card - Zotac GTX 285

-The Processor - AMD 965 BE

-The memory

-The Harddrive

-The keyboard

-The mouse - have this currently and love it.

-The Drive

-The Sound card- X-fi Xtreme Gamer

-The Speakers-yeah they are cheap, but I think they are cool, and are still and upgrade.

-And 3 more fans for extra cooling and to replace the ugly red color.

That puts me at $1,517.86, not sure what else I need...Yay or nays for the parts please. I really wanna get this right the first time. Thx for all the info some.

PS: Sadly, I will not be getting around 13ghz in Fallout 3 as a lot of games do not utilize all 4 cores yet. Instead I'll get 3.4, or 6.8 ghz in fallout 3, but the other two cores would let me do other things (like downloading large mod files), without any slowdown.

Nice, but sadly the AMD processors do not support the 3/6/9 gig RAM setups. Only the i7's can handle those.

Also I've heard that lower latency response times are actually preferable to higher memory RAM(1066 vs 1333). (Kingston has Latency of 5, That OCZ has a latency of 8 ). If I could have the AMD plus 6 gigs, I would though.

Good to know, i did not know that :thumbsup:

i have 4gb wentic and its working just fine, ddr3 at 1066mhz, Thank goodness i didn't get the tri drr3, that would have sucked finding out i could'nt use it.

i dont knwo much about the "techy" side of building a computer, but Cyberpower have an awesome sale on at the mo, i bought this recently for £900 ( not sure what that is in $'s ), and im running Crysis on max without my system screaming at me "what the hell are you trying to make me do!" over and over again -

*BASE_PRICE:

CAS: COOLERMASTER ELITE 310 Mid Tower Case

CASUPGRADE: NONE

CS_FAN: Default Case Fan

CPU: (Quad-Core)Intel® Core i7 920 @ 2.66GHz 8 MB cache LGA1366 ***Overclockable XXX***

CD: (Special Price) LG 22X DVD+/-R/+/-RW + CD-R/RW DRIVE DUAL LAYER (Black Color)

FAN: Asetek Liquid CPU Cooling System For Intel LGA1366(Extreme Cooling Performance + Extreme Silent at 20dBA)***Overclockable S&S***

HDD: Single Hard Drive (500GB SATA-II 3.0Gb/s 16MB Cache 10000RPM HDD )

MOTHERBOARD: Gigabyte GA-EX58-UD3R X58 2 Way Crossfire/SLI DDR3

MEMORY: 6GB (3x2GB) PC10666 DDR3/1333mhz Triple Channel Memory (Corsair XMS3 w/Heat Spreader ***Overclockable XXX***)

NETWORK: ONBOARD 10/100 NETWORK CARD

OS: Microsoft® Windows Vista Home Premium w/ Service Pack 1 (64-bit Edition)

OS_UPGRADE: Upgrade to Microsoft® Windows® 7 Home Premium (64-bit Edition)

POWERSUPPLY: 700 Watts Power Supplies (CyberPowerPC Performance ATX 2.0 Power - Quad SLI Ready)

SOUND: HIGH DEFINITION ON-BOARD 7.1 AUDIO

USB: Built-in USB 2.0 Ports

VIDEO: ATI Radeon HD 4890 PCI-E x16 1GB DDR5 Video Card

WARRANTY: STANDARD WARRANTY: 3-YEAR WARRANTY PLUS LIFE-TIME TECHNICAL SUPPORT

i thought it was great value for money and im really happy with it, not sure if it would be cheaper building it yourself, especially when you consider u get vista 64 + win 7 upgrade, and the piece of mind of warranty.

i knwo its not answering your question but i just thought id point it out as an option.

yeah if u go to cyberpower's site and click the "weekly" offer button, youl see them there.

i know it says weekly but my systems been up there for a month now. lol.

it prob is just down to wholesale buying @ thor. but other things reduce the cost, as the case for exaple is only about £30 i think. its a budget end case but ive read nothign but good reviews.

my case

also the HDD id just some generic hdd etc.

i am more then happy with it tho. and im glad about the "future" proof of it all, im pretty sure if i wanna upgrade next year all il really need to do is get a new g-ard or get another 4890 for x-fire. hopefully by which they'll be dirt cheap lol.

some other things about cyber systems i was happy with, and ive bought many'a pre-built pc's online in my life =

Pros =

cheap

fast delivery

they include ALL the cables that you get from buying the parts seperatly. they give u everything.

the packaging is amazing, its filled with foam + airbags ( a nice touch to insure u get your comp safe n sound )

they called me 2 days after i recieved to make sure i was happy and everythign was working fune. they even offered to tell me how to check the hard ware if i didnt know to make sure i got what i paid for.

the customer service reps on the websites chat link actually knwo what theyre talking about ( seriously u have no idea how rare that is... )

Cons=

didnt get a proper copy of vista, just a "restore" cd

my windows 7 upgrade ( which was £10 by the way ) is download only.

my PC was built and delivered before the estimated date ( was a pain as i had to change schedule at last minute, although its great they did it so fast being told 1 day before delivery can cause problems for some people )

All in all, ive bought from dell etc, and these were far by the best overall. i sing theyre praise to everyone as u prob gather but were all liek that when ever we find somethign amazing :P.

anyway best of luck with your pc!

• 2 weeks later...
I don't think you'd need something more then a GTX285 let alone a GTX285. The GTX275, 285, and 295 are all in complete different price ranges and you probably wouldn't need anything higher then a GTX275 for awhile. Another thing to watch out for. When I bought my GTX285 it barely fit in my case (which is huge) but I got lucky and was able to jam it in there. Those cards are HUGE!