(WIP) Assault Cannon

Phoynix

OK so im back, my videocard was broken and now that I can actually play fallout again I feel like completeing my last mod, some of you may remember I was working on a Fletchete rifle.. well its undergone quite a bit of change since then and its almost completed. After playing though fallout again and the downloadable content the lack of any really powerful assault style weapons really buged me.

Following the loss of a member of the Rileys rangers, and Rileys report to her contractors about the growing supermutant problem and its interference with Recon of the DC area, they sent her a crate of toys and a new mission, find the location of the Supermutant spawning grounds, and destroy them.

Aus-Tech 30mm Hyper Velocity AutoCannon

otherwise known as "Thumper"

Fires 30mm 200gram Tungston core rounds at 9000 feet per second.

Such high velocities are made possible by Aus-tech Patended recoil Compensator Patent 22321-ab-32.

Notes of use

30mm Hyper Velocity rounds penetrate all known forms of bodyarmor including powerarmor and should never be fired if friendlies are behind the target.

In effort to conserve ammo, always attempt to line shots up so the round will penetrate mutiple enemy targets.

Ive just about finished modeling, some pictures of it ingame without texture.

http://i40.photobucket.com/albums/e243/Phoynix/ScreenShot37.jpg

http://i40.photobucket.com/albums/e243/Phoynix/ScreenShot38.jpg

http://i40.photobucket.com/albums/e243/Phoynix/ScreenShot39.jpg

http://i40.photobucket.com/albums/e243/Phoynix/ScreenShot40.jpg

Image of it from maya so you can get a better idea without the normal screwups

http://i40.photobucket.com/albums/e243/Phoynix/side.jpg

if people think it needs some major changes beyond cliping and normals(I havnt finished getting everything to interlock correctly and havnt started on the normals) now is the time to point it out.

that looks very good so far.

if i had to say which parts i most like, it would be the smoothed mid-section.

if i had to say which parts i would like to see differently, it would be:

the butt could be smoothed and curved like the mid-section,

the clump above the grip/trigger could be shrunk and smoothed,

the raised sight-lens could be lowered into the space that would make,

and the barrel could use some extra (perpendicular) detailing.

(i am imagining a Seburo Assault Cannon, i think)

(smooth curves like this: http://www.fallout3nexus.com/downloads/ima...1237751707.jpg)

HMm I liked the butt but I do see your point.

The clump above the trigger I actually had ALOT of trouble getting into something I was happywith and I still agree it needs work.

The clump is actually the kenetic compensator so any ideas on how to make it look more like one(without making it look like a shockabsorber.. what I orginaly had it as and it looked bad)

The sights height is actually how I liked it, I orginaly fixed it so they where the right height but it ruined the entire guns look.

I think the sites need reworking however anyways they dont seem to quite fit the gun but the height I like in first person view it makes the gun feel very kickass.

Barral...is just a corragated heatsink, I dont mind adding more detail but I cant think of what, any specific ideas?.

a kinetic compensator could take the form of energy between nodes, encased within a curvilinear unit with cutaway parts revealing the interior.

or perhaps it could take the form of an concave hinged recess joined and butressed by complex rods.

or maybe it could be an encased gyroscope.

the barrel could have some various width concentric rings to break up the length for the eye.

I like the look of your rifle a lot - even some of the stuff the other guys mentioned seems all right to me. There's only one thing that really, really bothers me about the gun, though: the barrel.

It just... bothers me. I dunno, it might look better if you took the barrel off entirely, or just stuck in a stubby little port. Might need to be a bit higher too, though that might put it out of whack with the rest of the gun's theoretical workings.

But that's just my pair of caps; you've already designed and built something far beyond anything I could whip up in 3D, so I'm sure it'll come out awesomely anyway.

-Pax

Well my personal experience as a soldier for 10 years in CQB and room clearing....Penetration is good, but in the chaos of urban combat a weapon that blows through multiple targets and then the walls isnt so great. Its like if every member of your team had an M2 .50 cal. Yeah your target dies, but you start hitting the floor or reinforced concrete and you start catching very high speed ricochet. The super mutants are wearing fairly primitive armor so penetration isnt such a problem so perhaps stick with a heavier round. Sorta like the difference between 9mm and .45 stopping power over penetration generally. Also cutting the "barrel" or heat sink should be removed for Urban combat really, especially dismounted, like when clearing the hospital to rescue the rangers. The super mutant can know your about to come around the corner because he can see the barrel of your weapon first. When we trained we had to learn a different way to carry our Mp5 and M4 for doing building/ room clearing just so you have alittle bit more surprise. If you want to use this weapon to provide security or cover fire then its good more as it is, but with all crew serve weapons watch what and where you shoot. When I see its specs it seems like it would be more used by power armor to kill other power armored soldiers or light armored vehicles. A power armored version perhaps would get rid of the but stock because the suit would absorb more of the recoil. Maybe have a "rifle" version and a "carbine" version?

Just a thought.

its just a game :)

but I do see your point...

In WA(western Australia) news showed tactical response group attemping to aprehend possible violent suspect in his home, packed urban housing area, school with kids directly behind the house and you can see it all from the camera because they were making WA version of cops.

So the 5th man o the tac squad was covering the other 4 with nothing less then a 50cal.. they dont have a saftey and they dont stop for fragile things like doublebricked walls.

Every single member of that tactical response group squad should have been immdeadtly sacked for putting the public in danger.

However

The idea behind the gun is something that actually is diffrent, we have plenty of normal shooting guns, plenty of explosives and booms and beams both stock and fallout mods.

The only weapon im aware of that punches though to targets behind is the flamer.

So its orginal something diffrent.

The gun is going to be hands down the most powerful gun out of the stock weapons+addon content.

That said your not going to want to just use it for everything because the ammo is expensive to make.

To make rounds for it because it takes 30mm caseless.(at least im hoping I can)

You are going to have to use a workbench.

50 308 rounds for the powder

superglue as a combining agent

Scrapmetal for the solid cores

50Energy Cells for the smeltering and powder enhancement.

for 24 rounds that only do 30% more damage per round then the stock sniperrifle.

Numbers can and proberly will change.

PS-Supermutants skin is there armor, the FEV mutates it so its extremly resistant to weapons fire.

true it is fantasy.

But I would like to see a chopped down version with the barrel drastically shortened or just about

removed if you have the time, I just dont feel comfortable with half the weapon infront of my foward

hand.

Wow skin like armor that is bullet resistant? how do they move? O.o

Not considering the Strength but more the mobility....weaker at the joints?

I am thinking like a leather jacket effect where under the arms it is softer

and perhaps other places where you move alot at the joints. Still I think

the power armor metal plates is stronger that mutie skin. Eh, but it will

still be really fun if you can get it to work, and they are probably not concerned

with collateral damage and innocent bystanders in a post apocalyptic world..

they arent to concerend with it as is in modern day Washington D.C.....so

I guess the future is worse. But still I would love to see a "carbine" or power

armor designed version of this the Mesh is truly outstanding.