Find the Music for 3 Dog

SpoonyBard

While reading the Fallout Wiki I came across this.

"Run by DJ Three Dog, GNR splits its time between Wasteland news, survival advice, and Big Band music. Three Dog operates the station as part of the "Good Fight," which he explains later is his attempt to tell inhabitants of the Capital Wasteland how "things really are" and the Enclave's true intentions. He also explains that the reason he plays the same few songs over and over is because these are all the records he's been able to locate in playable"

And of course there's this mod from the top 100 that expands the list out to 100 tracks.

http://www.fallout3nexus.com/downloads/file.php?id=1418

But what about a mod that uses the above mod as a starting point, but instead of automatically expanding the playlist, the player must go find the music out in the wastes and bring it back to Three Dog for caps (say, 100 caps per recording)

I haven't written a mod yet but how difficult could this be to do? Or do the playlists need to be expanded in blocks of 20? (even then that allows for 4 locations of recordings)

Bump. Anyone have any idea what the complexity of this mod would be? Any mods that do similar things I could look at (off the top of my head there's a Regulator missions mod that should have an example of adding dialog options to an NPC since Three Dog would need options to buy the recordings from you).

This is actually a good idea, I havnt responded proberly like most people because I had nothing to add.. till now..

There are jukeboxes all over the wastes, each jukebox you find and activate could give you a song, and you goto 3dog and he pays you xp/money.

IT shouldnt need t obe expanded in blocks, quests updates to the radio(your actions in the wasteland) dont come in blocks of 20.

Wonderful idea, I dont understand why people wouldnt be interested in that!

There are jukeboxes all over the wastes, each jukebox you find and activate could give you a song, and you goto 3dog and he pays you xp/money.

I love that!

Please do this, guys!

You should talk to OldManMose76 and find out why he has chosen those size increases and how he did it. Then you would have a base of what to do for this mod. It's a great idea and I would love to see it come to fruition.

Yes, I agree that you would have to work closely with that author to pull this off, assuming that he would be amenable to the change in his already popular mod.

GNR music in the vanilla game is limited to 20 songs, which might be why he chose blocks of 20, because they are scripted tp play at random but conditioned not to repeat immediately after playing. I'm guessing that he modified this set up to jump between lists of 20 so that he didn't have to completely rescript that method.

Adding to the list of playable songs is complicated enough, but scripting so that a certain song from one of those lists will only play after it has been found by a player adds quite a degree of complexity to the process. It would completely alter his mod, which at this point makes all of the new songs available when they are downloaded. It would probably be much simpler to tell Three Dog "I found this jukebox with 20 new songs" and add to the available songlist that way then to try to add individual tracks. That way a flag could be added on discovering each cache of recordings that would enable it in the playlist instead of having them activated as soon as the list is installed.

If he is not agreeable to your idea then you would need to find your own songs to adapt to FO3 and use them in the expanded list. That might not be a bad thing either. You could stick to the oldies and yet expand the music type. It might be nice to hear something other than big band. Maybe find some old Hank Williams songs, Miles Davis or Elvis Presley. Getting clearance to use those songs might be difficult though.

But I like your idea.