Fallout 3 Mod File Names

AceGoober

@BadPenney: sarcasm noted.

Understandably, the file name *should* be of some resemblence to the mod title as posted. If the file doesn't, well then, I guess I won't be able to find it to install, play and rate the mod in question. Simple enough?

Just rename the esm or esp files then.

Ah.. let's rename this A and rename that B. Not hard, is it?

Not that simple. If you rename my plugin file then you will not be able to hear any of the sound files.

I was only sarcastic in my first post, btw. I do not really carry a digital thermometer at all times.

It is mercury.

It is somewhat annoying when archives has names like "Version_3-7301" or "main_file-6717" and you're trying to find a specific file in a folder with a hundred mods.

Practical naming of all archives would be appreciated but bad naming does not prevent me from downloading, installing or rating mods.

Not that simple. If you rename my plugin file then you will not be able to hear any of the sound files.

I was only sarcastic in my first post, btw. I do not really carry a digital thermometer at all times.

It is mercury.

Renaming the zip, rar, or whatever wouldn't cause a problem though.

I didn't know that. Anyhow, your mod is named properly enough.

It's the mods that mainly modify other mods without changing the name that's problematic.

For instance, Sarem's hair pack modifies hairpack.esp from an earlier hairpack mod without renaming it into something else. Thus when it overwrites the earlier hairpack mod (which is made by someone else). That would make selecting specific hairpack mods difficult. Especially if I find one of them is buggy and the other less buggy.

Because of this, I made a habit of renaming .esp files.

Though perhaps I'm unwise about .esm files.

I didn't know that. Anyhow, your mod is named properly enough.

It's the mods that mainly modify other mods without changing the name that's problematic.

For instance, Sarem's hair pack modifies hairpack.esp from an earlier hairpack mod without renaming it into something else. Thus when it overwrites the earlier hairpack mod (which is made by someone else). That would make selecting specific hairpack mods difficult. Especially if I find one of them is buggy and the other less buggy.

Because of this, I made a habit of renaming .esp files.

Though perhaps I'm unwise about .esm files.

Renaming .esp files is relatively safe, though I'd limit doing so to situations where you are absolutely certain that you aren't using any mods referencing content from those files. Personally I wouldn't touch the names of master .esms at all because they, by their very nature, are used/referenced by their respective "slave" .esps and renaming them can cause a great deal of trouble in terms of file dependency issues - File dependency is established per file name and relative file path, which means that if you change the name of a file, any mod/file that uses/references that file will have trouble finding it and will most likely not work.

if it better for you, i name mine "jackpack" mod & then all the assosiated folders "jackpack meshes, jackpack textures, ect ect.

i see your point that if you dont want a mod anymore then you would just delate all the jackpacks.

simple ;)

ps: your not the only one as it anoys the f"ck out of me trying to delate stuff out of normal folders & as you said it only gets even more harder when you have alsorts of other things "in the same folder" & not all modders can be bothered putting things in there own made folders.

I tried to be kind to anyone who downloads my mod, so I named the plugin "ShadySands" and the documentation "Readme - ReturnToShadySandsV1.3" (currently) and all of the supporting files begin with the prefix "0001". I've also made the compressed file that contains all of the above into a FOMOD so that FOMM can install and uninstall all of the files automatically.

You can also turn mod files into a FOMOD yourself that were originally uploaded without being made into a FOMOD, before installing them. Name the FOMOD something that makes sense to you. Then when you want to uninstall the mod, FOMM will seek out and remove any meshes, textures, etc. that are associated with it, regardless of how they are named.

Simple enough?