Is There A REAL FIX to Grey Face Sydrome?

RadoGamer

Hello Folks, I've been modding for a while and I like to create followers. Most often they turn out OK and the facegen is good but occasionally I find issues with the dreaded GF syndrome. I've tried everything that folks suggest cntrl f4, set npc weight but I find these to be frustrating and simply just band aides to a serious issue. Is there anyone who actually has found a real fix to this issue and if so what is it?? My searches on the internet have resulted in the typical band aides and it seem if people are going to be modding NPC's there should at least be a FIX or a workaround that actually addresses the issue. Anyhow that's my question. Have a good day!

Exporting the facegen is the fix. the grey face bug is because that wasn't done. Now if you add a mod that adds a new skintone and has the exported files and you get the grey face bug that is because of the save files and not the mod. Simply remove everything you gave the NPC and open the console, target the NPC and type "resurrect" without quotes exactly as I wrote it so do not add a 1 to that. exit the console and they should no longer have the grey face bug. You can then give them back the gear and make a new save so it is now set in the save file.

There are many issues with modifying an NPC after you met them once such as factions not properly working or an outfit was changed. To fix that resurrect always works because it resets the follower to the esp or esm files. follower and relation status are retained from the save.

Set npcweight is used if the mod adjust the weight of the NPC and you get a gap around the wrists, neck and ankles where the meshes line up. You can use resurrect for this as well and not have whatever weight you assigned.

Thanks Jet, much appreciated, all very valuable information!! I will note it as I intend to continue modding. Just one more question. When uploading the mod I need to include the face gen files that were created for that actor along with everything else? Isi this correct?

Thanks again!

Thanks rhowington, BTW Jet I did as you suggested and it worked like a charm!

Thanks to both of you!

• 9 months later...

I have got this with nearly every NPC in the game now, any idea or do I have to 'resurrect' every NPC I meet?

Did you download a mod that changes the appearance of every vanilla NPC? That's really the only way I could see this happening. If you did, check your Skyrim Data folder for npc face data for NPC's. If there isn't a ton of folders for all of those NPC's, something went wrong with the download or there's something wrong with the mod.

Hope that helps!

I have a similar problem, when I use setrace on a follower that has a skintone different from the default skintone of the race I'm chaging him into, I get the greyface bug. He has already been ctrl-f4 in the CK, and has his face gen files. When I use a setrace script on him, to be another humanoid race, he seems to not use the face gen files generated for him. When I setrace him back to the orginal race, he will have his face texture back. I don't want the greyface bug when I change him to another race. The setrace script is vital for my mod.

I have a similar problem, when I use setrace on a follower that has a skintone different from the default skintone of the race I'm chaging him into, I get the greyface bug. He has already been ctrl-f4 in the CK, and has his face gen files. When I use a setrace script on him, to be another humanoid race, he seems to not use the face gen files generated for him. When I setrace him back to the orginal race, he will have his face texture back. I don't want the greyface bug when I change him to another race. The setrace script is vital for my mod.

Of course he'll get the bug. If you change the race, you change the face, so the facegen data no longer matches the NPC

• 4 years later...

Exporting the facegen is the fix. the grey face bug is because that wasn't done. Now if you add a mod that adds a new skintone and has the exported files and you get the grey face bug that is because of the save files and not the mod. Simply remove everything you gave the NPC and open the console, target the NPC and type "resurrect" without quotes exactly as I wrote it so do not add a 1 to that. exit the console and they should no longer have the grey face bug. You can then give them back the gear and make a new save so it is now set in the save file.

There are many issues with modifying an NPC after you met them once such as factions not properly working or an outfit was changed. To fix that resurrect always works because it resets the follower to the esp or esm files. follower and relation status are retained from the save.

Set npcweight is used if the mod adjust the weight of the NPC and you get a gap around the wrists, neck and ankles where the meshes line up. You can use resurrect for this as well and not have whatever weight you assigned.

NONE of this stuff (in that post or anything above or below it) worked for me. I've been trying for three months, off and on, to just do a very simple re-mod of an old follower, and no matter what I do, I get grey face.

I have:

* Re-exported the head.

* Made a minor twiddle to the FaceGen data and re-exported the head.

* Trashed the ESP and started all over from scratch. More than once.

* Used NIFMerge (and finally got correct head geometry), but still grey face.

* Use the manual method, of opening two instances of NIFSkope and deleting the Data record of each NiTriShape and copying it over from the mod head.

* Manually changed every single texture file entry referenced in the NIF to be absolutely sure it is correct.

* Tried the setnpcweight 100 trick - I got more or less the right color, but the face geometry reverted back to an ugly vanilla head.

* Tried the disable/enable trick - did nothing (other than after setnpcweight, it fixed the head geometry, but revered to the greyed color)..

* Tried the resurrect trick - did nothing (other than after setnpcweight, it fixed the head geometry, but revered to the greyed color).

* Removed the mod and clean-saved, and re-installed it.

* Spawned an entirely new copy of the NPC with placeatme ######## 1.

* Went back to a save right after Helgen at the start of the game.

* Started a new test game, and gotten past Helgen, then gone to that NPC.

* And more.

* Dozens of times.

The mod is VERY LAST in my load order. There is nothing in there that can be affecting it after the fact.

I'm about ready to throw my PC through the wall.

Edited by Darklocq