OCOv2 questions

Wick76

I am newly back to PC gaming from a 5 year break, mainly due to my introduction to Steam, and mod videos on Youtube. So, as you can guess, I am a bit noobish when it comes to mods. I have downloaded and installed the OCOv2 mod (using OBMM), along with the required Blockhead and OBSE. My question is, how do I know if they are working? Is there an indicator within the game such as text on the startup menu, or an options menu? The PC version already looks %100 better than the Xbox 360 version, which is the only version I had previously played. I just have no idea if it is working properly. I did a google search, but all I came up with were videos of how cool it looks, not how to properly install/use the mod. I don't receive any error messages upon startup, and I am still in the cave at the start of the game, but I just want to make sure it is working properly...or at all for that matter.

I apologize if this is an extremely noob question. I am trying to slowly work my way back into the PC gaming world. I just want to get the most out of this new rig I built.

Do you have "Install Blockhead" across the faces? If not it means you have OBSE and Blockhead installed correctly. The other thing that should show if OCOv2 is working is the new Orc faces (though if you have any previous experience with Oblivion you should be able to see a difference in all faces).

I don't have any text on the faces, so that is good. I guess that everything looks so much better by default, I was just questioning weather or not it was all working. Are there any options to change anything from inside the game, or does it just make all of the changes itself? If the mod wasn't working correctly, would it give me an error, or would the game just load as vanilla?

Wick76, welcome to the PC Oblivion Experience!

About your questions, OBSE and Blockhead are not "mods". OBSE is a scripting framework, it is, a collection of internal commands and scripts that expands the default ones included in the vanilla Oblivion, and it has no in-game menu nor configurations. It runs in the background, just like vanilla scripting framework.

Blockhead is a Plug-In for OBSE and adds new functionalities to the internal engine, but like its "father" OBSE, has no user interface nor dialogues nor messages in-game.

OCO v2 is an actual mod, and the latest version includes a warning system to make the user aware if Blockhead (and hence OBSE) are not running: the faces of all characters, including the Player, turn white with the letters INSTALL BLOCKHEAD painted all across. If you're not seeing this, then it's a good signal.

There is a plug-in for OBSE that adds pop-up warning messages, it's called OBSE-Tester if I recall correctly, Striker is an expert in this, I've never tried it.

There's however, an easy way to tell if OBSE, Blockhead and OCO v2 are running properly: uncheck OCO v2's esp in your OBMM, start the game, and see what happens. Most likely you'll be scared to death by what you'll see.

Cheers!

Thank you for the quick responses. I am very excited to revisit Oblivion. I spent countless hours playing it on the 360, but I can already tell it is a completely different beast all together on PC. Add in the mod factor, and I feel my addiction starting all over again :)

Well...I tried dectivating the mod, and unfortunatly nothing changed. The NPC's all looked exactly the same. I am not sure what I am doing wrong. I have the mod activted, and I don't get any messages about any errors. It just does nothing. I don't see any changes at all. I guess I need to do a little more research on installation. Are there any comprehensive guides for OCO v2?

Ok...after some trial and error, I got Overhaul running. Now I have the dreaded "Install Blockhead" zombie faces. I tried uninstalling Blockhead from OBMM and manually installing it via the instructions in the download (copied contents into the data file), but still have script on the faces. It is late. I will have to try again tomorrow. I am nothing if not determined :)

Wick, there's something I don't catch: was OCO v2 running at the beginning or not? You said that the PC version looked 100% better than the console version, but from your first post, it's unclear if you had OCO v2 running or not.

The first error you made, as your last post clarifies, was installing OBSE and Blockhead through OBMM. Both MUST be installed manually and following to the letter their respective installation instructions.

As a general rule, if a mod tells you to install it via OBMM or NMM, do it. If a mod does not states any other method than manual installation, then do not try to install it via Mod Managers without doing a little research first.

By the way, unless the mod itself EXPLICITLY states that it can be installed using NMM, DO NOT USE NMM TO INSTALL OBLIVION MODS. A mod that tells you "install using NMM" should be OK. A mod that makes no mention at all to NMM NEVER should be installed via NMM. The reason for this is, most Oblivion mods are old and were created way before NMM reached its current state of improvement are are thoroughly incompatible with it.

There's no comprehensive guide to OCO v2, but I suggest you to go to its Comments Page and read thoroughly as many as you can, especially the last ones where I explained the exact installation paths for OBSE and Blockhead.

A do not forget to state when asking for help which version of the game do you have: Retail Disc, Steam or other, and your OS and Steam and Oblivion installation folder. The default C: ProgramFiles on Vista and higher causes lots of trouble.

Cheers!