jackpack's armoury

jackpack

Every game has their own terms of agreement and I'm sure the fact you bought it does not legally allow you to use its assets and redistribute them. What are the terms of the agreements of those games which assets you use?

When you bought them and agreed to the terms set by the game publisher, it means that the game assets which somebody else worked hard to create are for your own private use only. I'm sure the copyright law regimes that applies to the game agreements stipulate this.

Unless you have express written permission from the copyright owners of those assets and reveal them to remove all doubts, it can be a legal infringement. You are using, modifying other people's work without prior consent which can harm their monetary concerns such as being paid for their work. This is the underlying concept of copyright law.

For instance. I think it would be cool if I can have Blood 2's gravity gun in Fallout 3. but I can't simply import them and publish it for everyone else to use without express consent from its creators or copyright owners. That would be the same as painting myself with bullseye marks as a target for the copyright holders.

But then again, I'm thinking that copyright procedural law allows you to upload copyrighted material without prior consent as long as the copyright owners don't sue you. Though if they can't, they might sue the owners of the site where you upload your copyrighted files.

So please, make sure your files are legally safe from litigation. Unless you want to make yourself a target of the copyright holders.

• Replies 160
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

good point calla.

but if your telling me this then theres no need as im well aware of it & for the 3rd time in this thread I HAVE NOT ONCE TAKEING ANYTHING FROM ANOTHER GAME.

turbo is a 3d website where ppl sell 3d models "better know as turbosqid". & in that if you go there & buy a model then by all means i wouldnt even think about listening to the guy that made it if he turned around & said you cant use it in a game?.

---

ps: get back to work you haha

Alright, just to clarify.

Taken from http://www.turbosquid.com/OneOff/EULA.cfm

II. LICENSE AGREEMENT BETWEEN SELLER AND MEMBER

A. License Grant for transmission of Content from Seller to Member

3. Rights Granted.

Seller hereby grants to TurboSquid, and by the act of delivering Content to us, grant a non-exclusive, worldwide, license in any medium now known or hereinafter invented to: (a) reproduce, set prices for, sell, and distribute net proceeds from any sale, in whole or in part on Seller's behalf; and to publicly perform, publicly display, digitally perform, or transmit for promotional and commercial purposes; (b) create and use samples of the Content for the purpose of demonstrating or promoting Seller products or services or those of TurboSquid; © use any trademarks, service marks or trade names incorporated in the Content in connection with Seller material; and (d) use the name and likeness of any individuals represented in the Content only in connection with Your material.

The Seller grants to the Member who either purchases license rights to Content via a Valid Sale, or downloads freely available Content submitted by the Seller, a non-exclusive, worldwide, license in any medium now known or hereinafter invented to:

( a ) reproduce, post, promote, license, sell, publicly perform, publicly display, digitally perform, or transmit for promotional and commercial purposes;

( b ) use any trademarks, service marks or trade names incorporated in the Content in connection with Seller material;

and ( c ) use the name and likeness of any individuals represented in the Content only in connection with Your material.

The Member license to Content in this paragraph is limited to Incorporated Content. Such use or republication, including sale or distribution of Content that is not Incorporated Content is prohibited.

For illustration, approved distribution or use of Content as Incorporated Content includes, but is not limited to:

(i) As rendered still images or moving images; resold as part of a feature film, broadcast, or stock photography.

(ii) As part of a game if the Content is contained inside a proprietary format and displays inside the game during play.

(iii) As Content published within a book, poster, t-shirt or other item.(iv) As part of a physical object such as a toy, doll, or model.

"Incorporated Content" refers to Content that cannot be extracted from an application or product and used as stand-alone Content without the use of reverse engineering tools or techniques.

For avoidance of doubt, Incorporated Content is the use of Content that is not intended to allow further distribution of the Content outside of the application or product containing the Incorporated Content.

Yes, those models are legal to be displayed, uploaded, downloaded, and played by other users. :)

Looking forward to see full, detailed disclaimers on the release readme.

I'm quite interested in copyright law.

Anyhow, good luck to your mod. I hope that it'll be awesome. :)

Every game has their own terms of agreement and I'm sure the fact you bought it does not legally allow you to use its assets and redistribute them. What are the terms of the agreements of those games which assets you use?

When you bought them and agreed to the terms set by the game publisher, it means that the game assets which somebody else worked hard to create are for your own private use only. I'm sure the copyright law regimes that applies to the game agreements stipulate this.

Unless you have express written permission from the copyright owners of those assets and reveal them to remove all doubts, it can be a legal infringement. You are using, modifying other people's work without prior consent which can harm their monetary concerns such as being paid for their work. This is the underlying concept of copyright law.

For instance. I think it would be cool if I can have Blood 2's gravity gun in Fallout 3. but I can't simply import them and publish it for everyone else to use without express consent from its creators or copyright owners. That would be the same as painting myself with bullseye marks as a target for the copyright holders.

But then again, I'm thinking that copyright procedural law allows you to upload copyrighted material without prior consent as long as the copyright owners don't sue you. Though if they can't, they might sue the owners of the site where you upload your copyrighted files.

So please, make sure your files are legally safe from litigation. Unless you want to make yourself a target of the copyright holders.

actually nexus is safe if the actuall files are uploaded offsite. the GOW mod (removed because toxa uploaded a esp to nexus at a later date), the unreal tourney mod and a few others have pages here on nexus BUT they are not actually uploaded on nexus they are uploaded to offsite to a file host or private webpage.

actually there not, the files transfered to nif format are not encrypted or incorporated, they are distrubited with not combined.

Adding them to a BSA so they require an extraction(reverse engineering) utility instead of just a nif reading utility, would make them legaly useable.

Most of the makers of the stuff, infact im sure most of them would be happy to see there stuff in a computergame, but its a distrinction that should be made, because as nif the files can be copied by anyone that downloads them, AND they can be used for the exact same stuff they were on the orginal site, and done so without the author getting paid.

So either he has to contact each author and get permission, or do the easy thing and just include it all in a BSA, so that anyone wishing to use them has to "reverse" engineer the bsa archive, giving JackPack legal protection if one of the authors gets pissed.

actually there not, the files transfered to nif format are not encrypted or incorporated, they are distrubited with not combined.

Adding them to a BSA so they require an extraction(reverse engineering) utility instead of just a nif reading utility, would make them legaly useable.

Most of the makers of the stuff, infact im sure most of them would be happy to see there stuff in a computergame, but its a distrinction that should be made, because as nif the files can be copied by anyone that downloads them, AND they can be used for the exact same stuff they were on the orginal site, and done so without the author getting paid.

So either he has to contact each author and get permission, or do the easy thing and just include it all in a BSA, so that anyone wishing to use them has to "reverse" engineer the bsa archive, giving JackPack legal protection if one of the authors gets pissed.

i was talking about mods using stuff from other games.

ok this is bothering me now.

1) i respect budah & his site enuth to know i cant rip open games & put the content up hear "as thew have already found out"

2) everything that comes from another person & put into my mod will be by that person & with his permision along with HIS/HER wishes "credit, links, ect"

3) ppl should be looking at this as not me trying to claim anything but infact giveing all of you something. i mean i could keep this stuff to myself & save the hours & days & weeks & months doing other stuff instead of enhanceing your games???.

---

i have toyed with forgetting a mod & becomeing the resource king , but who wants halo wepons or stargate kits or militery kits or dvd games & foods & cans & ....