Bethesda hiring modders

Guest deleted1302297

Guest deleted1302297
Does Bethesda hire modders like heroinzero, alexscorpion, umpa, dimon99, and you all know who you are,? Because if all of bethesdas employees were as dedicated and talented as nexus' modders... than they could make a super game. Also, Do those modders get paid in any way? because there are so many mods that could be selling for just as much as dlcs and maybe more. :whistling: (Cube Experimental) Please comment. Also please read my other topics about changing the style of fallout to cod modernwarfare. I can tell you how to convert your game also! :thumbsup:

I donno if Beth is or will hire any modders from here, or more like hire any of them you mentioned. Maybe they should, though I do know

some modders do have donation links in their descriptions. I wouldn't have a clue, however, if anyone is ever donating anything to them.

Wouldn't mind hiring a few of them myself, though I'm awfuly short on cash.

I'm not sure if they do or not, it would take the modder to apply for a spot on the team.

Most people (like me) do modding as a fun hobby, I would never want to be paid for my mods because it's a hobby that I choose to share.

I don't speak for all modders but I have the feeling many feel the same way, my two cents atleast :closedeyes:

Does Bethesda hire modders like heroinzero, alexscorpion, umpa, dimon99, and you all know who you are,? Because if all of bethesdas employees were as dedicated and talented as nexus' modders... than they could make a super game.

That reads like an insult to the game's developers, to be honest. It's not a super game in the first place, and the developers aren't dedicated and talented?

Also, Do those modders get paid in any way? because there are so many mods that could be selling for just as much as dlcs and maybe more.

I think that many modders don't have an accurate perspective of what it really takes to make a game like Fallout 3. It's not their fault I don't think, it's just how it is. But in the end, it does result in a group of people (modders) with a collective mentality of thinking a bit too highly of themselves.

The flip side of that being, they end up thinking too little of the geniuses who brought Fallout 3 to life, and they show a lack of appreciation for the huge amount of work it took to do it. I feel like sometimes, they don't give the developers enough credit. They are quick to condemn them for things that they should not. They are impatient and do not give the benefit of the doubt in cases where they should.

I bet there are people who work there who are, in some respect, former modders. That doesn't mean that every modder who makes something nice would be a good match for working there.

Bethesda's clearly an amazing group of people to get to work with. As luck would have it, I say that while living in Finland, with their offices being located in Bethesda Maryland. SO it would be kinda hard to put in an application, huh =p

I believe that in the past they had picked up some people from within the modding community which they believed to be especially skilled. As far as I know, this had only happened with Morrowind and Oblivion. One was a scripter in morrowind, and the other was a mesh maker from oblivion if memory serves. They were also looking for people with capable level design experience in the past, but don't know what ever came of it. For the most part, they don't pay much attention to the modding community, or atleast don't talk about it. Recruiting from modders, although may sound like a good idea actually isn't since many modders are underage, live in places far outside Bethsoft's headquarters, and the work being done is not always easy to determine things like credit for that work.

I would imaging that things like artists and mesh markers are not something they have much need for at the moment, or can't easily get just by setting up a job booth at one of the design schools in the area. If they were going to hire from the modders out there, it would likely be for something like level design, gameplay mechanics, scripting, quest works, or other less commmon fields. Anyone with some art training and experience working with the programs could likely do decent mesh/texture work. But, making a level that plays well, has difficulty, and replay value is not something which can easily be found. But really, it's the residency requirements that kinda puts a halt on any hirings from the mod community. Not many people can uproot and move to Maryland, or wherever, for a potential job.

Also, being a corporation, they usually slap on requirements for a bachelors degree of some kind, so that kinda rules out just about everyone. They do however have a hiring section.

Todd Howard said in a recent interview that he likes the idea of the Enclave Commander mod. Or at least he makes a statement that implies that, as all he says is he likes the mod where you "summon a vertiberd". That's quite indicative of EC, to me. But yeah, if modders wanted to work at Bethesda, then they'd sent in an application. That's kinda how jobs work. Someone would have to be absoluely amzing for Bethesda to go out and ask them to work there. Considering that the GECK is just part of what the devs used to build the game. There are so many things Bethesda can do that we modders can't, and there are many things modders make that Bethesda never thought up. Like the Script Extender, and the Mod Manager, among other things.

It'd be interesting if Bethesda took a Valve approach and tried to be more involved with the community, actively looking at mods and mentioning ones they like or even compiling packs of them to distribute for free, etc. It'd be a bit more unfair of course because of the sheer volume of mods and how many many of them are minuscule gems that deserve a download as much as the larger ones. Active promotion could blind people to a lot of these smaller ones which isn't fair really. I would say Bethesda shouldn't hire modders unless they can demonstrate their skills in an actual application process. It's just not reliable or efficient. Nonetheless, I think Bethesda should be more involved in the modding community. Not actively promote certain mods but rather promote the process of modding.

They've released amazing toolsets. However I think they can do better at supporting this process. Again citing Valve, or TF2 more specifically, in the past patches they have implemented an extraordinary amount of small, technical changes requested by the community. Almost all of these have been done not to please players but mappers. They even went so far as to create an entirely new HUD for a custom gametype competition one mapping site was hosting. The amount of changes and patches they have made in this vein is extraordinary and WAAAAAAAAY above the norm, and most of it is unnoticeable to the common player. Bethesda isn't lacking when compared to other companies, but it'd be really REALLY cool if they could do something similar to Valve.

That reads like an insult to the game's developers, to be honest. It's not a super game in the first place, and the developers aren't dedicated and talented? ... But in the end, it does result in a group of people (modders) with a collective mentality of thinking a bit too highly of themselves ... they end up thinking too little of the geniuses who brought Fallout 3 to life, and they show a lack of appreciation for the huge amount of work it took to do it. I feel like sometimes, they don't give the developers enough credit. They are quick to condemn them for things that they should not. They are impatient and do not give the benefit of the doubt in cases where they should.

I doubt the original poster was attempting to insult Bethesda; rather, they were remarking that if more potential end-users had input on the course of the project, then the result could reach an unprecedented level of quality and immersiveness. :) Not that I don't have faith that they have and still are making every possible effort to do so... just sayin'.

Personally, I think it would be awesome if they would - at the very least - remember that we're all humans with eyes, and brains, and the ability to interpret our surroundings as beautiful, logical, functional, etc., and that we are definitely going to speak out (in one way or another) when our standards aren't met.

Not much to say about them hiring modders; most people understand that, if you want to work somewhere, you have to apply, but at the same time, there's this thing called "networking" - it creates connections that allow for employers to get in touch with people they deem suitable to a particular task. It goes both ways. *shrugs*