Problems with games

Connorma

Sry if this is in the wrongs spot but i didn't know where else to put it. Anyways (and most importantly) im having some problems installing portal from the orange box (and alot of other people are too) but its just portal TF2 and HL2 and HL2 Ep one have installed fine but when i start to install portal it hits 9 MB out of 1,000 something and doesn't move anymore. Please help me with this. The next thing is Farcry2. The problem im having with Farcry2 is that when i run it in Directx 10 i seem to teleport and im running fraps and (if its correct) im running fine at around 50 fps. Then when i run it in Directx 9 i see yellow lines in the sky. This is not a big problem but if you can find a solution it would be great. Sry for such a long post.

If the error with Portal is happening to a lot of other people it sounds like the discs were all corrupted at print in some way. Or there could possibly be an error on steam. Try emailing Valve about it or checking if there's a steam update. I've had some problems installing Portal before but nothing that didn't go away when I tried it again.

As for Far Cry 2... O.o Maybe the lower resoloution textures weren't tested and they left lines on them? lol I don't know... If Direct X 10 works then just use that. It's better quality anyway.

Well i can't use Directx 10 cuz its choppy and im using a high res 1920 x 1200 sooo its not the res

The resoloution of your monitor has nothing to do with the resoloution of the textures, I meant that the textures for dx 9 might not have been tested properly. 50 FPS is a very decent level for gaming. You could try lowering the resoloution to get a higher fps but 50 should be fine.

Well actually we recently built a new comp and the new comp Windows Vista and the old one had Windows XP and we were running Directx9 in XP with no lines or anything I'll try to get some pics up later.

I just tried installing portal again and IT WORKED this time soooo who knows