New PC for heavily (I mean HEAVILY) modded Skyrim 2014

eabbud

Hello everyone,

I'm going to build a new PC for a new gameplay of Skyrim this year. I currently have a 3 year old P8P67M-PRO with a i7 2600k (at 4.1Ghz), 16GB of ram and a XFX 7970 Ghost, and a 120GB Kingston V300 SSD for Skyrim and OS.

But it's not enough for my 170 mods (many 4K textures) + RealVision ENB (Performance A) as I've been getting drops to 20-30fps.

With that in mind, I'm going to buy a system capable of maintaining 60fps at 1920x1080p + ENB FULL + STEP (+200 mods)

I intend to buy:

Maximus VI Formula + i7 4770k + Corsair Dominator 2x8GB 1600Mhz + another 7970 (Crossfire) OR a GTX Titan Black

But I couldn't find anything on the internet suggesting one GPU or the other (for modded Skyrim in particular)

What do you guys think would be better? Or maybe another set of GPU(s)? Do you think this system will handle it?

Thanks and sorry for my bad english. :confused:

Greetings from Brazil and DON'T come for the World Cup!!!

Edited by eabbud

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

i would go for the titan black imo a single gpu is always better, but if i were you i wouldn't bother to replace your cpu yet...your i7 is still very powerful and will easily handle skyrim

the reason you couldnt find any of those gpu is this: your 7970 is 3 year old wich means its not the more powerful ghz variant, the titan black its not out yet :),

My advise: just buy the gpu and wait 1 more year to replace your components. jumping from a i7 2600k to a i7 4770k wont give you much performance boost and the 4770k doesnt overclock that well.stick with the 2600k and if you want a little cpu boost overclock it even more(the 2600k is a very good overclocker)

I just built a system specifically for Skyrim here is what I put together

I am running around 250 mods...

4770 Haswell running at 4.2 overclocked

Maximus VI extreme board

EVGA GTX 780 overclocked

Gskill 16 ram at 2400

250 gb samsung SSD

this setup runs Skyrim at ultra settings constantly putting out more than 60 fps have

to use vsync to keep the water from flickering...

Havent seen the CPU hit 50c running the game yet ran OC scanner at 1920 and I got around

180 fps........

I have a I72660 and at 200 mods it was working fine but struggled when lots of stuff was on the

screen....and I had a 2 gb card which was being maxed out also...

havent seen the gtx 780 reach 100 percent yet...

one thing that really helped out was the SSD makes the game run a lot smoother because

the transfer of files from the SSD to MEM is instant makes a world of difference....

let us know how your build goes :smile:

Edited by tejano2828

You need 3 things.

A powerful CPU for scripts, shadows, AI, etc. OC to 4GHz is fine. Sandy/ Ivy or Haswell i5 or i7 will be fine for this.

An SSD, for fast loading screens and reduced stutter.

A gtx 600 or 700 series with 3 to 4GB VRAM. 2GB is not enough for a heavily modded skyrim with all the eye candy. Dont know the equivalent in AMD.

Seriously consider gtx series 700 or higher with 4GB VRAM if screen resolution is higher than 1080p.

I just built a system specifically for Skyrim here is what I put together

I am running around 250 mods...

4770 Haswell running at 4.2 overclocked

Maximus VI extreme board

EVGA GTX 780 overclocked

Gskill 16 ram at 2400

250 gb samsung SSD

this setup runs Skyrim at ultra settings constantly putting out more than 60 fps have

to use vsync to keep the water from flickering...

Havent seen the CPU hit 50c running the game yet ran OC scanner at 1920 and I got around

180 fps........

I have a I72660 and at 200 mods it was working fine but struggled when lots of stuff was on the

screen....and I had a 2 gb card which was being maxed out also...

havent seen the gtx 780 reach 100 percent yet...

one thing that really helped out was the SSD makes the game run a lot smoother because

the transfer of files from the SSD to MEM is instant makes a world of difference....

let us know how your build goes :smile:

i agree what the poster above me said

but one warning

you can have a top of he line gamming rig but if you mess up the load order of have a mod that is incombattible with another mod the game will not work

i have near 150 mods installed

1/3 are beauty mods that enchave the look of the game

1/3 are overhauls and immersion mods

and the rest are armor and weapon mods

and with those recent patches and tools available the game works perfect with little loss of performance and rarely have a ctd during gameplay

except when i first start up the game it takes a while before the game loads and sometimes ctds instead

A 4th gen i5 would probably give the best performance "potential" for Skyrim, but the i7 may be more future-proof considering the multi-threading possibilities of the new consoles (new games will be console ports).

Make sure to check out the memory channel capabilities of the new motherboard, a 4x4GB setup may be more efficient than 2x8GB.

Let us know how it works out.

Thank you guys for the feedback. I was willing to change the motherboard because of the ram setup and chipset capabilities, and in that case I would have to change the processor too.

Miguelr23, my 7970 was bought last year, in july, but it´s a standard dual fan XFX, not overclocked.

tejano2828: Yours is a 780 or 780ti? Do you use ENB? Without ENB my Skyrim runs smooth at 60fps, even with the mods. Thanks!

MadWizard25: Yes, I´ve heard that Nvidia performs better at Skyrim. I already have a SSD, but it´s not one of the fastest (Kingston V300), still, loading times are very short and windows 7 starts in 5 seconds. Thanks.

kleinstaff: I use TES5Edit, BOSS, BSAOpt, OptimizerTextures, CPU unpark, and NMM to keep things neat. After several months of learning with the CTDs, I´ve managed to get it stable. (using Morrowloot and SkyRe hehehe). Thanks

Lord Garon, I´ve read in some websites that 2x8Gb is better because it´s "less expensive" for the chipset to work on. Are you sure 4x4gb is better? Thank you.

My specs are below,i have over 240 mods active, including everything in the TPC/SMC library and using enbs like kountervibe and Seasons of Skyrim with max settings, and get generally between 40-60 fps, ocassional stutters drop the FPS into the 30's, hopefully that will give you an idea what to expect.