New PC for heavily (I mean HEAVILY) modded Skyrim 2014

eabbud

I don’t own Crysis 3 so I couldn’t compare fps but on skyrim thats fairly modded I get a solid 60 with enb on 1080p. Probably really matters if you messed with many ini settings some love to increase the uGridsToLoad witch can effect the fps by a lot. Having a high uGridsToLoad may look stunning visually but unfortunately it will cause scripting errors. I also don’t tend to install mods that add huge battles such as 60+ npcs running high res texture +60 npcs on screen rendering threw your card will definitely effect performance.

heres a great example of high end benchmarks http://www.videocardbenchmark.net/high_end_gpus.html

few things beat the 780. Using these benchmarks is really a better way of understanding how powerful a cpu or gpu is in general. This is really what I go by when I build a new comp.

I played eso beta and from my experience they have an interesting mix character advancement system with a touch of the old tes such as their class/race skills with the new tes there is some mmoish in it with crowd control abilities ect. Elder scrolls 1 Arena had that old school d&d style class system morrowind started the complete 180 skyrim your able to use any weapon and armor class was defined by perks this just wasn’t so in Arena. An elder scrolls experience is being able to create your own adventure not guided on rails. Every tes game has an tutorial process you always start out as a prisoner the idea to create your own background story. The mmo is no different then your typical tes game I know a lot of ppl hate mmos and they will hate to just hate

My uGrids are at 5. I guess I´ll go with a nvidia next. Thanks!

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

A gtx 600 or 700 series with 3 to 4GB VRAM. 2GB is not enough for a heavily modded skyrim with all the eye candy.

The difference between 2 or 4GB VRAM is about 1 fps!

performance its the same thats true but using all of your vram causes stutters/freezes etc

In my humble opinion you only need a strong GPU.

Your current CPU is great, and seriously, you won't even see a single FPS difference after upgrading from 2600K to 4770K. (I just wanna clarify this, yes, 4770K is the better CPU here and it has a new architecture, but when playing Skyrim you won't see that benefit. When it comes to play Skyrim there are not much difference even between i5 and i7)

The only difference between is gonna be the socket.

You got SSD, you got lots of Ram and your current MB is decent.

You only need a single GPU with high VRAM. Just buy a GTX 780Ti and you're good to go.

I don't suggest buying a TITAN if you're not playing at 2560x1440 resolution. You're never gonna use that 6GB Vram, never. You're not gonna even come close to it.

And BTW if you're not using 1440p resolution, you don't even need the 4K mods. There is a barely noticeable difference between 4K and 2K in 1080P. Only thing you can do here if you really wanna spend a lot of money is to get a better Monitor@1440P and a strong GPU like 780Ti.

You will be much more happier this way.

And if you're only gonna play Skyrim, 290x seems like a better choice here. Performs around 780Ti, got 4GB Vram and probably a lot cheaper.

I can just guarantee you that, if you just get 290x, you will be able to play the game with RealVisionENB full in 1080p or 1440p.

You will probably be able to install more than 100 texture mod. Even I got 16GBs of mod folder with a humble GTX 770 : ) And It runs perfectly fine.

And my CPU is not even close to yours, I don't even have an SSD.

So long story short, you don't need to completely rebuild your system, you just need a strong GPU that's all.

Edited by Rockmassif

"I don't suggest buying a TITAN if you're not playing at 2560x1440 resolution. You're never gonna use that 6GB Vram, never. You're not gonna even come close to it."

I've got a Titan, and actually, you will use the 6GB of VRAM if using ENBoost and the memory patch.

Must be sweet to have a massive SSD for all those textures.

About the CPU upgrade; there will not be any noticeable difference. You're better off superclocking your current one, supposing your motherboard has cooling on the VRMs and a bundle of power phases (more is better).

Edited by FiftyTifty

"I don't suggest buying a TITAN if you're not playing at 2560x1440 resolution. You're never gonna use that 6GB Vram, never. You're not gonna even come close to it."

I've got a Titan, and actually, you will use the 6GB of VRAM if using ENBoost and the memory patch.

You're probably doing something wrong.

Actually yes the 6 gigs of Vram is useless for skyrim in and of itself. (3.1 gig hard cap for both ram and Vram, after that your textures start going black.) However if you are running skyrim and something else on another monitor it would theoretically be very handy. This can be mitigated using a .dll plugin such as ENB and SSME but that technology is still new and causes problems on certain machines.

Also, Skyrim uses two cores from your cpu by default currently. You may be able to get it to use more via .ini tweaks but that is highly debatable and seems to work on some machines and not on others.

To the OP: I suspect your problems start at the 4k textures. They are useless, unless you have a gigantic monitor which can actually fit a 4k texture on it, the quality of the texture will probably drop to 1k or at best 2k. 4k textures will cause a lot of issues in skyrim regardless of how monstrous your rig and monitor is because skyrim is a 32bit program. It is really only suggested for screenshotting. I honestly do not see the need to go above 1k on most rigs (2k on high resolution monitors and higher end rigs.) The game will look just fine if the textures are done correctly, don't worry. (Unfortunately there are not many textures on that nexus that are done right, but they do exist.) If you want textures that are done right, try the stuff made by Cabal.

Also, if your monitor cannot support a super high resolution, don't use it. Most of the time 1080p equivalent is just fine or even too high. The biggest reason for frame drops in any game is your game resolution. Down your resolution step by step and if you are not seeing a noticeable difference in sharpness in the game you have it set too high.

I have a much lower quality rig than what is posted in this thread so far, but I can run my game fully re-textured to 1k (2k for some very large items such as mountains and rocks,) and run the game at 40-50 frames outside and a constant 60 inside. (Note that the game is made to be playable at 30fps.)

4K textures are mostly good for screenshotting but I do suggest that using 4K textures for faces is also good. Other than that there is no need to go over 2K.

But completely rebuilding Skyrim from the ground with 4K textures is just overkill. It's like jumping from 8xAA to 16xAA, you won't see a difference but it will kill your system.