Girl Gamers

Herculine

• Replies 181
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I play games because it's fun - I would much rather have fun than to always have to be the winner.

short,sweet and to the point Kudos' for you

And now rob_b, you're entering in my friends list. This is for what games are intended to be. Kudos too. :thumbsup:

This person you speak of... he sounds extremely insecure and quite immature. I should know as my girlfriend's online brother treated her in this manner, except it was over his love for her of all things...

Anyway, this is very disgusting behaviour. It sickens me to hear when some stupid d!ck treats people like poo just because they don't give him the attention he apparently "deserves". And this behaviour seems to arise even more aggressively towards women than men - especially if the individual expresses interest in the woman (this is referring to a heterosexual male - I've known women to treat other women this way if they are bisexual/lesbian). This causes pointless drama, and needless stress. All you can do is block them and hope they don't hound you from a different email address. And if they know where you live, you better hope they don't stalk you...

I don't believe, without a shred of doubt, that girl gamers are more sensitive - it's apparent male gamers tend to take things WAY too seriously. As I stated before, I play games because it's fun - I would much rather have fun than to always have to be the winner. I don't have an ego to maintain, and anyone who knows me well enough can vouch for that.

And I'm sure you're smile is pretty Kitten :] Keep posting and soon you can change your title to something of your liking ^^

You have squarely hit upon the troubling aspect of this. For, though I have blocked several people for the very same reasons, each one slightly diminishes the hope of finding gamers who merely wish to play and treat each other with respect. It's as though that medium is meant to be a quagmire of low behaviour. I absolutely agree with your sentiment that winning doesn't have to serve as sole or primary reason for having played.

I'm a former tournament badminton player & coach (among other sports). It can often happen that recreational or lesser skilled club players, thinking their level too low to hold my interest, will shy away. And, you know, those are the matches that can mean a great deal to me. By playing together, and possibly even losing to them, we remain colleagues in sport. Fun and shared experiences being the order of the day rather than just keeping to one's clique. You know, in truth, badminton players tend to be social and accepting of how a match may go. We may start a match as complete strangers and yet by its end, leave the court as friends. This to me..gosh..I'm welling up..but this is of so much more value than mere victory. I am able and can win. I have earned my level and know this. But, can I earn your friendship. This is becoming a ramble..but as I am already on badminton, I hope the members here will forgive a tiny deviation.

During the years when I used to play at my old university gym, among the more recreational players was a fellow who was really challenged. He tended to play men's doubles and often would be defeated by other teams. Aside from being of cheerful disposition, open to well meaning suggestion or tips, there was something other about this man. At some point during the evening he would try to return a smash while performing a cartwheel. Umm, yep. That's not badminton and the chances of such a stroke working were next to nil. The years went by and he perservered with his unique shot attempt. We thought him mad , but accepted him nonethless. Would you believe that one day, against one of the gym's best players and biggest smashers he performed his cartwheel return to perfection and scored a winner! I tell you all action on every court instantly stopped to give him a hearty cheer for having achieved his goal. And everyone ran up to celebrate the triumph. This is sport. This is the sort of camaraderie...we took pride in him that day. Not that any of us would ever attempt to duplicate the feat mind. But,I long to find this in world of gaming.

Where I have found it is here at Nexus. A place of creative intellects and well meaning colleagues who seem more interested in sharing and shared experience than domination or persecution. On that note, I will end this ramble.

P.S. Rob_B, know that your kind words have brought another of my smiles to the fore. Please accept my thanks for your aptly phrased comments.

Well said, Rob. You're a true gamer!

Since I started this topic I just wanted to take a quick second to thank EVERYONE for participating and expressing their opinions here.

:thanks:

I didn't do anything except state what is, nothing more. You my dear sweet friend are the REAL gamer. ^^ So thank you. :thanks:

I play games because it's fun - I would much rather have fun than to always have to be the winner.

This is personal belief as much as it is learned behaviour. You deserve kudos more than I do Dezi - I've rightly given you kudos, so thank you so much. :D

And now rob_b, you're entering in my friends list. This is for what games are intended to be. Kudos too. :thumbsup:

You deserve kudos more than I do Fifoo.

This person you speak of... he sounds extremely insecure and quite immature. I should know as my girlfriend's online brother treated her in this manner, except it was over his love for her of all things...

Anyway, this is very disgusting behaviour. It sickens me to hear when some stupid d!ck treats people like poo just because they don't give him the attention he apparently "deserves". And this behaviour seems to arise even more aggressively towards women than men - especially if the individual expresses interest in the woman (this is referring to a heterosexual male - I've known women to treat other women this way if they are bisexual/lesbian). This causes pointless drama, and needless stress. All you can do is block them and hope they don't hound you from a different email address. And if they know where you live, you better hope they don't stalk you...

I don't believe, without a shred of doubt, that girl gamers are more sensitive - it's apparent male gamers tend to take things WAY too seriously. As I stated before, I play games because it's fun - I would much rather have fun than to always have to be the winner. I don't have an ego to maintain, and anyone who knows me well enough can vouch for that.

And I'm sure you're smile is pretty Kitten :] Keep posting and soon you can change your title to something of your liking ^^

You have squarely hit upon the troubling aspect of this. For, though I have blocked several people for the very same reasons, each one slightly diminishes the hope of finding gamers who merely wish to play and treat each other with respect. It's as though that medium is meant to be a quagmire of low behaviour. I absolutely agree with your sentiment that winning doesn't have to serve as sole or primary reason for having played.

I'm a former tournament badminton player & coach (among other sports). It can often happen that recreational or lesser skilled club players, thinking their level too low to hold my interest, will shy away. And, you know, those are the matches that can mean a great deal to me. By playing together, and possibly even losing to them, we remain colleagues in sport. Fun and shared experiences being the order of the day rather than just keeping to one's clique. You know, in truth, badminton players tend to be social and accepting of how a match may go. We may start a match as complete strangers and yet by its end, leave the court as friends. This to me..gosh..I'm welling up..but this is of so much more value than mere victory. I am able and can win. I have earned my level and know this. But, can I earn your friendship. This is becoming a ramble..but as I am already on badminton, I hope the members here will forgive a tiny deviation.

During the years when I used to play at my old university gym, among the more recreational players was a fellow who was really challenged. He tended to play men's doubles and often would be defeated by other teams. Aside from being of cheerful disposition, open to well meaning suggestion or tips, there was something other about this man. At some point during the evening he would try to return a smash while performing a cartwheel. Umm, yep. That's not badminton and the chances of such a stroke working were next to nil. The years went by and he perservered with his unique shot attempt. We thought him mad , but accepted him nonethless. Would you believe that one day, against one of the gym's best players and biggest smashers he performed his cartwheel return to perfection and scored a winner! I tell you all action on every court instantly stopped to give him a hearty cheer for having achieved his goal. And everyone ran up to celebrate the triumph. This is sport. This is the sort of camaraderie...we took pride in him that day. Not that any of us would ever attempt to duplicate the feat mind. But,I long to find this in world of gaming.

Where I have found it is here at Nexus. A place of creative intellects and well meaning colleagues who seem more interested in sharing and shared experience than domination or persecution. On that note, I will end this ramble.

P.S. Rob_B, know that your kind words have brought another of my smiles to the fore. Please accept my thanks for your aptly phrased comments.

Aww I didn't mean to bring tears to your eyes. I'm sorry =[

People deserve love and friendship more than anything... You all deserve a hug. *hugs all of you* I'm just another person in the world who happens to like games, nothing more. I'm glad I was able to make you smile, it means more to me when I do since I believe I don't make very many people happy. I was able to help Herc make one of her dreams come true, and I wish she could share it with everyone. But seeing as copyright laws prevent that, she can't and that makes me sad.

I wish there was a way I could show my gratitude to all of you - I don't have much, nothing but love and friendship to give. And now I'm welling up...gosh I cry at the darndest times lol. Please know that you have my friendship Kitten. =)

Well said, Rob. You're a true gamer!

Since I started this topic I just wanted to take a quick second to thank EVERYONE for participating and expressing their opinions here.

:thanks:

I didn't do anything except state what is, nothing more. You my dear sweet friend are the REAL gamer. ^^ So thank you. :thanks:

This is personal belief as much as it is learned behaviour. You deserve kudos more than I do Dezi - I've rightly given you kudos, so thank you so much. :D

Aww I didn't mean to bring tears to your eyes. I'm sorry =[

People deserve love and friendship more than anything... You all deserve a hug. *hugs all of you* I'm just another person in the world who happens to like games, nothing more. I'm glad I was able to make you smile, it means more to me when I do since I believe I don't make very many people happy. I was able to help Herc make one of her dreams come true, and I wish she could share it with everyone. But seeing as copyright laws prevent that, she can't and that makes me sad.

I wish there was a way I could show my gratitude to all of you - I don't have much, nothing but love and friendship to give. And now I'm welling up...gosh I cry at the darndest times lol. Please know that you have my friendship Kitten. =)

a man with aheart and not ashamed to hide his feelings.Thats a man... are you taken by any chance? :whistling:

By playing together, and possibly even losing to them, we remain colleagues in sport. Fun and shared experiences being the order of the day rather than just keeping to one's clique. You know, in truth, badminton players tend to be social and accepting of how a match may go. We may start a match as complete strangers and yet by its end, leave the court as friends.

And how much this is major matter to discuss for showing a path which lead to the greatest rewards IMO.

I've made the same background as trainer and coach too, by rising to the challenge of rolling up a table tennis club, with upon 30th members aged 7-25th years old. Funny to see that some members -mainly the youngest ones- were first so agressive and rude against other team players in the department league meetings and tournament. It wasn't so easy but by using well training methods based on positive focussing, and by showing respect to others, results were not bad years later* with a junior department champions league, a great guy (thanks my friend, you helped me a lot).

It's the same way in quote life and also with games. :biggrin:

Nexus is a real good place :happy:

:no: I don't believe so, but thanks for your kindness.

- I don't have much, nothing but love and friendship to give.

This is the biggest gift you could give to anyone.

[Off topic]

* You don't need to take a look on this picture unless you want to see results (and where I am, in the middle part) :whistling:

a man with aheart and not ashamed to hide his feelings.Thats a man... are you taken by any chance? :whistling:

*blush* I have feelings like everyone else, why hide them from people?

And to answer your question... well, um... yes and no.