first time modding help with free to use programs.

kylemk16

Sounds about right. =) And as you probably noticed, the older blenders arent needed when making weapons. The only reason to use the older blender is if you plan on making armors. (stuff that needs weight painting, vertex paint and other stuff that isnt saved to the obj and 3ds file formats)

Some little details on the dds files: non-transparant files use the BC 1 / DXT 1 (mipmaps on). Transparant textures should be BC 3 / DXT 5 (also mipmaps on).

Other than that tidbit it seems you have a good idea of what you need to do.

Sounds about right. =) And as you probably noticed, the older blenders arent needed when making weapons. The only reason to use the older blender is if you plan on making armors. (stuff that needs weight painting, vertex paint and other stuff that isnt saved to the obj and 3ds file formats)

Some little details on the dds files: non-transparant files use the BC 1 / DXT 1 (mipmaps on). Transparant textures should be BC 3 / DXT 5 (also mipmaps on).

Other than that tidbit it seems you have a good idea of what you need to do.

ok made an _n.dds in gimp

an _em.dds

and a .dds file

all three texture that are on a vanilla weapon.

following the 3rdpart of the video series you linked.

should have a bad test example in the game with in an hour, if i did it all correct that is.

also in his videos he textured the sword in mudbox, what was the point of that?

In Mudbox you have plenty features you don't get with most image editors...it's used to sculpt (details) / create normal map and directly paint on the 3D model. I often create the rough texture in MB, export it to Photoshop, fine tune it, export it back to Mudbox and so on...

Edited by ghosu

In Mudbox you have plenty features you don't get with most image editors...it's used to sculpt (details) / create normal map and directly paint on the 3D model. I often create the rough texture in MB, export it to Photoshop, fine tune it, export it back to Mudbox and so on...

so it does what i did in gimp at a more advanced level/more detail.

... just look at the video or pick a random Mudbox clip on youtube / wiki entry, it's quite different to a regular image editor like Gimp. Image editors are more focused on 2D, sculpting and texturing software (like Mudbox,zBrush or Sculptris) is focused on painting directly on the 3D model, creation of normal/specular/whatever maps, 3D modeling/sculpting of details and so on. Normally you use such tools in combination with an image editor, at least i do so in my workflow.

Edited by ghosu

... just look at the video or pick a random Mudbox clip on youtube / wiki entry, it's quite different to a regular image editor like Gimp. Image editors are more focused on 2D, sculpting and texturing software (like Mudbox,zBrush or Sculptris) is focused on painting directly on the 3D model, creation of normal/specular/whatever maps, 3D modeling/sculpting of details and so on. Normally you use such tools in combination with an image editor, at least i do so in my workflow.

no disrespect but im two tired to comprehend what you just said

http://i.imgur.com/1OI0td9.jpg

and i have the sword i made in game as you can see.

i'll come back when i have slept so i can understand some of the newer post.

Basically, yes. To simplify what Ghosu just said: where GIMP/Photoshop are more like painting a painting (heh..), Mudbox, Z-brush and sculpturis are more like painting a miniature figure; One works solely in 2d whilst the other (also) does 3d paint.

Texturing has always been one of the harder parts, imho.

Normally you use such tools in combination with an image editor, at least i do so in my workflow.

Interesting! :) I barely need GIMP/Photoshop these days... I tend to do everything in blender itself..:P To each his own i guess. :happy:

Basically, yes. To simplify what Ghosu just said: where GIMP/Photoshop are more like painting a painting (heh..), Mudbox, Z-brush and sculpturis are more like painting a miniature figure; One works solely in 2d whilst the other (also) does 3d paint.

Texturing has always been one of the harder parts, imho.

Normally you use such tools in combination with an image editor, at least i do so in my workflow.

Interesting! :smile: I barely need GIMP/Photoshop these days... I tend to do everything in blender itself.. :tongue: To each his own i guess. :happy:

wait you can do the .dds stuff in blender 0_0

ok i've made it over tiredness and now feel awake yet have not gone to bed

so really really basic

mudbox is like painting a clay model and gimp/photoshop is like painting a picture then folding it in to a 3d object.

now for my n.dds

if i make the metal on it a light grey then put little dots of white here and there and little dots of black here and there, will that give my sword some bumps and dents?

also sword as of now

http://i.imgur.com/NzALMvp.jpg

theres some "texture holes" on the handle i know i can fix then by re-colouring it in the sword.dds file.

Edited by kylemk16

A greyscale image is called a bump-map, its not the same as a normal map. A normal map (*_n.dds) is encoded data, specifically the normals of the face/polygon, represented by a image/texture/map. You should not do it manually as it not colors that you are editing, rather data.

I would google, normal map baking, hi-poly -> low resolution modelling.

A greyscale image is called a bump-map, its not the same as a normal map. A normal map (*_n.dds) is encoded data, specifically the normals of the face/polygon, represented by a image/texture/map. You should not do it manually as it not colors that you are editing, rather data.

I would google, normal map baking, hi-poly -> low resolution modelling.

kk i'll look in to that also update on how the sword looks as of now.

http://i.imgur.com/eSfBQhv.jpg